Nebraska MTE BLOWN Up. Close down this thread. Let's go Goat Roping!

HoosierPal

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Seems to me that these schools are really just wide open and gun slinging whatever they can just to get a non-conference schedule under their belts.  I think Ohio State and Dayton dropped out because if they went to South Dakota, Ohio has a 14-day self-quarantine restriction on returning from there.  Iowa and Nebraska and Missouri have no such restrictions.  But things keep changing and it's 50 different versions of the world out there right now.  

No one in their right mind is going to argue against keeping their kids safe, even though that's likely a bunch of bullshite no matter how you cut it.  

It's an advisory. There's no enforcement mechanism. I guess they don't want to be seen violating it publicly, though.

If you (plural) think this season is going to follow any predetermined scheduling with games that are played in time, you might as well think again. It is like the stock market if you give it some thought, weird things are happening and most likely will continue happening until the end of this season. Just saying.

Pistol we are likely to find a real entanglement of advisories, recommendations, restrictions, etc. as the team has to fly to play at different sites/States. This is going to be really hard to manage and to plan for, particularly because of the way things change in a short time (I am talking about kids or coahes becoming positive and getting quarantined). Our coaching staff is going to have their hands more than full this season. I tend to think that the team that manages to stay free of new positive tests and quarantines will be the team that will have the best chance to go deep at the Dance.

6 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Chances we actually play a week from today?  50-50?

Depends, I wouldn't put any bet on it one way or the other. I think whether or not a certain MTE comes off will depend on the risk tolerance level of the participants including state and local officials where the MTE is being held. Some states are starting to impose more restrictions while some health experts don't believe that will make any difference. How will states that are suggesting that Thanksgiving gatherings be as small as possible justify hosting an MTE? Same as they do with football I guess. Football seems to be soldiering on despite many a positive test, we'll have to wait and see how basketball navigates this crazy landscape. 

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Clearly Northern Iowa has not seen any recent news about South Dakota.

I also share Roy's question: WTF is happening? We're supposed to play them exactly one week from today. I get that things are changing rapidly, but a week's notice? Really?

It seems clear that UNI wants no part of the Billikens.

54 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Chances we actually play a week from today?  50-50?

So you are saying we either will or we won’t?  I like it. 

I think the odds of all 6+1 teams making it are less than 50/50. We are in the window where if a team has a positive they have to drop out?  Or not?  I believe the Bills will begin testing 3x per week. Will the others?  Is that good or bad?

I’m to the point of “when you get it” is the key. Get it in Dec and you wipe out some OOC games that are somewhat minor in importance, rather than in Conference season. 

55 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Given that some of the remaining teams in this event have to fly to and from South Dakota, I wouldn't be surprised to see more dropouts and replacements, or the event ends up being cancelled altogether.

We won’t be playing WKU or Nevada. Both teams only playing 2 games (on the 25th and 26th). They play each other on the 25th, then on the 26th WKU plays LSU and Nevada plays Nebraska. LSU plays San Fransisco on the 25th.... 

I have zero idea who we’ll play now other than LSU. Nebraska maybe? But they are scheduled to play McNeese St....

There might not be 3 games left now, definitely not any on the 25th. Might be time to leave the Nebraska bubble and find a better option with more games and better opponents if possible.

SLU_Lax likes this

18 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

We won’t be playing WKU or Nevada. Both teams only playing 2 games (on the 25th and 26th). They play each other on the 25th, then on the 26th WKU plays LSU and Nevada plays Nebraska. LSU plays San Fransisco on the 25th.... 

I have zero idea who we’ll play now other than LSU. Nebraska maybe? But they are scheduled to play McNeese St....

There might not be 3 games left now, definitely not any on the 25th. Might be time to leave the Nebraska bubble and find a better option with more games and better opponents if possible.

Peoria Journal Star reporting that the tourney will now be 6 teams, Nebraska, LSU, Nevada, San Fran, STL, Western Ky. Says current format works best fir every team involved...

13 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

Peoria Journal Star reporting that the tourney will now be 6 teams, Nebraska, LSU, Nevada, San Fran, STL, Western Ky. Says current format works best fir every team involved...

Then I guess on Nov 25th we’ll play Nebraska if McNeese St is for sure not in it 

10 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Then I guess on Nov 25th we’ll play Nebraska if McNeese St is for sure not in it 

The way I read the McN State game was that it was a single game against Nebraska.  But at this junction, who knows what is going on.

Creighton needs to wake up, dump out of SD and play close to home.

BilliesBy40 likes this

• HoosierPal changed the title to Nebraska MTE Now at 6 Teams + McNeese St(?) & No Fans

From one of the best non-conf schedules in recent memory to one of the worst.

1 Positive test during key conference games away from not getting the wins we need to be an at-large bid.

1 Bad matchup with a team like the Dukes in the conference tourney away from missing the dance entirely.

Our seniors deserve so much better than this.

27 minutes ago, ARon said:

1 Positive test during key conference games away from not getting the wins we need to be an at-large bid.

1 Bad matchup with a team like the Dukes in the conference tourney away from missing the dance entirely.

-wow, we have very little known about our non-con schedule, that might start in a week, and you have us missing the tourney, good grief

VeniceMenace and bauman like this

1 hour ago, ARon said:

ARon, I understand you are depressed by the havoc being wrought by the damned virus in this year's schedules and their possible effect upon the Bills. All I can say is that at this time all teams are in the same boat and nothing is written in stone. We have to take this year as it comes to us, this is the only way I see to deal with it.

51 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I thought WKU dropped out. The UNI makes no sense since SD is en fuego w/ the Covid. 

They had a chance to strengthen their schedule and they took it. Sure it’s obviously a risk, but that’s the life of a smaller mid major.