Nebraska MTE BLOWN Up. Close down this thread. Let's go Goat Roping!

HoosierPal

15 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

The problem with that is the vaccine probably won’t be widely available for the average citizen until much later in the year. Pfizer says they will have 50 million diesel ready this year (2020), but that’s only enough for 25 million people who will be healthcare workers and high risk people. Should have 1.3 billion ready in 2021 but who knows how quickly that will be 

You’re not wrong, and I’m just speculating here, but I’ve seen/heard reports that Pfizer and Moderna and maybe 1 other vaccine may be effective and cleared for use by the end of the year. A lot of those doses will (and obviously should) go to front line workers, but if you have multiple effective vaccines, you can multiply the number of available doses. I’ve also seen/heard reports that the vaccine(s) could be widely available to the public by April. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the NCAA used a lot of it’s resources and political clout to try to get the vaccine to college BBall players earlier than that to protect their biggest revenue event of the year, the Tourney. I think it’s hypothetically possible athletes could get the vaccine early in 2021, condense the season, and have May Madness. But again, I have no inside info, just speculating with educated guesses of reports I’ve seen.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, willie said:

Rick Pitino is on ESPN calling for May Madness. Delay the start of the season. Give the vaccine a chance. I think this makes sense. If they start the season and then have a shutdown it may not restart. 

Does Rick actually know about COVID vaccines? I'm sure he's clued in on penicillin but that doesn't make him a medical expert. 

15 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

You’re not wrong, and I’m just speculating here, but I’ve seen/heard reports that Pfizer and Moderna and maybe 1 other vaccine may be effective and cleared for use by the end of the year. A lot of those doses will (and obviously should) go to front line workers, but if you have multiple effective vaccines, you can multiply the number of available doses. I’ve also seen/heard reports that the vaccine(s) could be widely available to the public by April. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if the NCAA used a lot of it’s resources and political clout to try to get the vaccine to college BBall players earlier than that to protect their biggest revenue event of the year, the Tourney. I think it’s hypothetically possible athletes could get the vaccine early in 2021, condense the season, and have May Madness. But again, I have no inside info, just speculating with educated guesses of reports I’ve seen.

There could be as many as 4 vaccine’s available by year end plus more and better therapeutics . The problem is the curve is going up everywhere. We need a change of direction. 

Reinert310 and Westy03 like this

2 hours ago, willie said:

Rick Pitino is on ESPN calling for May Madness. Delay the start of the season. Give the vaccine a chance. I think this makes sense. If they start the season and then have a shutdown it may not restart. 

Similar to what the media did with college football, there are now numerous media personalities pushing for ending the non conference season and/or cancelling the season altogether.  Jeff Goodman is the point man on this.  There are 350 teams in D-1.  Less than 20 are sitting out now because of Covid.  Some of the conference's rules are too stringent, some not stringent at all.  Most are complaining because 1 + test knocks out a whole team, even if the rest of the team never tests positive.  There is an overarching agenda to shut down the season.  The couldn't do it with college football, college basketball is a little more disparate they think they can divide and conquer.

2 hours ago, willie said:

There could be as many as 4 vaccine’s available by year end plus more and better therapeutics . The problem is the curve is going up everywhere. We need a change of direction. 

Only a limited amount available though.  Why would we give them to 18-23 year olds in top physical condition though who have little to no susceptibility to it?  Players would be among the last to receive, possibly not for a year to 18 months.

HoosierPal and brianstl like this

6 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Only a limited amount available though.  Why would we give them to 18-23 year olds in top physical condition though who have little to no susceptibility to it?  Players would be among the last to receive, possibly not for a year to 18 months.

I don’t think it will happen but there are some people who are arguing that young adults should be some of the firsts because they are the super spreaders. 

16 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Similar to what the media did with college football, there are now numerous media personalities pushing for ending the non conference season and/or cancelling the season altogether.  Jeff Goodman is the point man on this.  There are 350 teams in D-1.  Less than 20 are sitting out now because of Covid.  Some of the conference's rules are too stringent, some not stringent at all.  Most are complaining because 1 + test knocks out a whole team, even if the rest of the team never tests positive.  There is an overarching agenda to shut down the season.  The couldn't do it with college football, college basketball is a little more disparate they think they can divide and conquer.

I've seen calls by the media to do conference only or reformat any number of ways.  Everyone seems to have some idea of how to tweak things to save the season.  How does that saying go "opinions are like....everyone has one".

I don't buy that there is some kind of sports media agenda to get the season shut down.  How does that benefit the media at all?  Guys like Goodman get paid to write about college basketball.  No season means that he probably loses his job.  Why would they be pushing for that?

I do think there is a tendency in the sports media for them to take the virus more seriously than the average Joe.  This is primarily because if the virus spread is bad enough, seasons get cancelled, and they probably lose their jobs.  Therefore, it is in their best interest to persuade the public to take it seriously and follow masking / social distancing guidelines.  Less public spread = more likely sporting events will occur.  Jon Rothstein is point man on this.

BilliesBy40 likes this

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I searched today. Came up empty, although ESPNU is showing a replay of our Dayton game on the 18th. 

Thanks for the update! Speaking of, I hope it’s not too much to ask, but any way anybody has any recordings of games from last year that we can add to the Billikens Vault during these uncertain times to keep our spirits up? Looking on ESPN+, the full-game replays seem very limited (but I absolutely could be doing it wrong). Off the top of my head, I’d love to rewatch the Belmont, Tulane, VCU, and Rhodey games. I know it’s kinda selfish of me to ask for something like that and not contribute to the project, but I’m so horrible with stuff like that, I’m afraid I wouldn’t be much help.

16 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Thanks for the update! Speaking of, I hope it’s not too much to ask, but any way anybody has any recordings of games from last year that we can add to the Billikens Vault during these uncertain times to keep our spirits up? Looking on ESPN+, the full-game replays seem very limited (but I absolutely could be doing it wrong). Off the top of my head, I’d love to rewatch the Belmont, Tulane, VCU, and Rhodey games. I know it’s kinda selfish of me to ask for something like that and not contribute to the project, but I’m so horrible with stuff like that, I’m afraid I wouldn’t be much help.

the more modern the game the more likely the owner of the content will object to it being up on youtube......

2 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

the more modern the game the more likely the owner of the content will object to it being up on youtube......

Yeah, I believe the “Billiken Vault” was created as a private YouTube channel so it would be harder for people to spot, but I’m not sure if that was successful or not.

• HoosierPal changed the title to Nebraska MTE Set at, Uh, 7? Teams & No Fans
On 11/14/2020 at 9:02 PM, HoosierPal said:

Not surprising given the recent spikes all over the friggin place. Actually, I'm surprised they haven't cancelled it altogether. Damn, I hope Biden has a plan to somehow penalize the Chicoms for unleashing this devil. 

• HoosierPal changed the title to Nebraska MTE Set at 7 Teams + McNeese St & No Fans

Clearly Northern Iowa has not seen any recent news about South Dakota.

I also share Roy's question: WTF is happening? We're supposed to play them exactly one week from today. I get that things are changing rapidly, but a week's notice? Really?

SLU_Lax likes this

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Clearly Northern Iowa has not seen any recent news about South Dakota.

I also share Roy's question: WTF is happening? We're supposed to play them exactly one week from today. I get that things are changing rapidly, but a week's notice? Really?

this does explain the lack of scheduling talks for this tournament. 

Just now, wgstl said:

this does explain the lack of scheduling talks for this tournament. 

I mean, schedules are changing for almost every MTE/tournament. What's the cut off point going to be, though? "Driver, change the route. We're going north on I-35 now. Minneapolis. That's right, Kansas City was this morning's plan..."

Seems to me that these schools are really just wide open and gun slinging whatever they can just to get a non-conference schedule under their belts.  I think Ohio State and Dayton dropped out because if they went to South Dakota, Ohio has a 14-day self-quarantine restriction on returning from there.  Iowa and Nebraska and Missouri have no such restrictions.  But things keep changing and it's 50 different versions of the world out there right now.  

No one in their right mind is going to argue against keeping their kids safe, even though that's likely a bunch of bullshite no matter how you cut it.