Nebraska MTE BLOWN Up. Close down this thread. Let's go Goat Roping!

HoosierPal

• HoosierPal changed the title to Nebraska MTE Set at Eight Teams
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

I’m assuming this means it is a tournament. Wonder if our first game is still against Northern Iowa or if that has changed as well. Could see LSU, SLU, Nebraska, and UNI be against WKU, SFU, Nevada, and ISU for the first round in some order 

I don’t know. I heard that LSU was a second opponent for us and that Western KY was only playing two games.   I’m looking forward to further information. Things could have changed. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

How does that work? 

SLU reportedly is playing Northern Iowa, LSU plus one other.  None of these games depend on results. 

A rumor on the Nebraska forum is that Oklahoma State dropped out due to not being able to reconcile testing protocol.  The Big 12 and Big 10 are on different testing programs (at least in football).

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

How does that work? 

more than likely tourney split into two groups of 4 and you play the other teams in your group once each.   then maybe a championship set up with the winner of each group.   

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

more than likely tourney split into two groups of 4 and you play the other teams in your group once each.   then maybe a championship set up with the winner of each group.   

That would be 4 games and no one has talked about more than 2 or 3.  I could see 2 brackets with us playing UNI first, then whoever wins the other game in our bracket with the winners of the two brackets then playing  a game for the tournament championship. I haven't seen anyone talk about this approach either, but it would produce 3 games.  The other teams could also get 3 games if they set it up for  3rd, 5th and 7th place games also.

kshoe, any such matrix of games that may be planned, may well be thrown off by positive Covid testing requiring quarantine in any of the teams participating. They will have to  play the games on a "whoever is available plays" basis. No one can anticipate or control who gets to test positive at any one time.

16 minutes ago, Old guy said:

kshoe, any such matrix of games that may be planned, may well be thrown off by positive Covid testing requiring quarantine in any of the teams participating. They will have to  play the games on a "whoever is available plays" basis. No one can anticipate or control who gets to test positive at any one time.

stop

Everyone knows about Covid.

Doesn't the Maui Invitational do this?  The first one is set then the rest fall into place.  I think Battle for Atlantis and the Puerto Rico Classic also used to do this.  Given the current situation, I'd throw all past practices out the window and see what goes.  I'm just happy to play right now.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

If a team makes it to Nebraska and tests negative prior to going, there is a very high probability they can play 3 games in 5 days without the world falling apart on them. The matrix works...

19 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Doesn't the Maui Invitational do this?  The first one is set then the rest fall into place.  I think Battle for Atlantis and the Puerto Rico Classic also used to do this.  Given the current situation, I'd throw all past practices out the window and see what goes.  I'm just happy to play right now.

Maui and all the others are traditional 8 team tournaments. Win and you play the winner of the other game. Lose and you play the loser. Etc. 

The match-ups in the Nebraska tourney won't change depending on whether you win or lose the first games.

4 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Maui and all the others are traditional 8 team tournaments. Win and you play the winner of the other game. Lose and you play the loser. Etc. 

This is probably the best way. 

2 hours ago, Old guy said:

Please change your name to Cap'n Obvious. Geez man, every time someone proposes or suggests something, you remind us that it just might not work. We KNOW that...

38 minutes ago, kshoe said:

If a team makes it to Nebraska and tests negative prior to going, there is a very high probability they can play 3 games in 5 days without the world falling apart on them.

I we are using Big 10 Covid rules, we are already in 'the window'.  The Big 10 has a 21 day quarantine for positives.  Look at Wisconsin football - they have canceled two games.  What is uncertain is if the quarantine is for the entire team or just the positive player, plus any 'close contact'.

I think you guys are reading way too much into what this really is.  It is not a tournament.  It is a Multiple Team Event.  This arrangement is only being done to get teams together to have games.  My hope is that we get guaranteed Northern Iowa, LSU, and then either Nebraska or Nevada.  A tournament style leaves too much to chance.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I think you guys are reading way too much into what this really is.  It is not a tournament.  It is a Multiple Team Event.  This arrangement is only being done to get teams together to have games.  My hope is that we get guaranteed Northern Iowa, LSU, and then either Nebraska or Nevada.  A tournament style leaves too much to chance.

Exactly.  It's 8 teams getting together to hoop.  Nothing more or less.  No trophy (but perhaps participation ribbons??)

I hope for Western Kentucky is the third team.  They have a pretty good team and might end up with a better NET than the others.  The Hilltoppers are picked to win the CUSA by most scribes.  Bassey is back from the DL list.  They return 4 double digit scorers and have added Frampton from Davidson. 

According to Stu, Northern Iowa is game 1, LSU game 3, and TBD game 2.  

stu durando is saying on twitter we play northern iowa our first game and lsu the third with the second yet to be decided.   i think this is just a play 3 games deal and there is no play game for the championship. 

3 hours ago, White Pelican said:

Please change your name to Cap'n Obvious. Geez man, every time someone proposes or suggests something, you remind us that it just might not work. We KNOW that...

I have been called captain obvious many times. I think it is necessary to bring a dose of reality to the fact many posts that basically do not take reality into account. We have a great team this year with a great coach, this much is true. If this was a regular season we would go deep into the Dance. But this is not a normal or regular year.

52 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

stu durando is saying on twitter we play northern iowa our first game and lsu the third with the second yet to be decided.   i think this is just a play 3 games deal and there is no play game for the championship. 

Nebraska would be my game du jour. 

Any word on anyone broadcasting this affair? I'd think FSMW would at least do the Bills games. LSU game may be an SEC network deal. If we get Nebraska maybe a B10 broadcast. Can't believe the whole thing will not be aired somewhere. I've got FMWS and ESPN+ SEC, and B10 covered along with the other majors, ie CBSSN, NBCSN. I come up empty if it's some Podunk Nebraska network.