Top 20 A10 players since 2000

thetorch

A lot of Philly bias in this report but nice reading.  Martelli sure could recruit.  Problem was, he never went deeper than four or five players.  They always seemed one short or having no bench to spell the starters.  Goodwin and French should displace two guys on this list somewhere along the line next year.   No Dalonte West to go with Jameer Nelson seems odd.  Jordair on it is not surprising but given his hard numbers I will admit to being surprised that he is so high a #8.  He deserves it however.

What a joke.  Andrew Nicholson doesn't even make the top 20.   He should be no worse than #4 on this list.  He carried what would have been a A10 bottom feeder without him to 20 wins, an A10 tournament championship and a NCAA tournament.  His game in the A10 tournament championship game against Xavier is the best game anyone has ever had in the last 20 years in this conference.  26 points, 14 rebounds and 8 blocked shots.  He averaged 23.3 points, 10 rebounds and 5.3 blocks a game in the A10 tournament. 

Seems like many too Temple and St. Joseph players (except no Delonte West) and not enough Xavier players.  Don't think I would take Fernandez over someone like Roman Saito, Stanley Burrell, or even a Scoochie Smith.    

1 hour ago, SShoe said:

Seems like many too Temple and St. Joseph players (except no Delonte West) and not enough Xavier players.  Don't think I would take Fernandez over someone like Roman Saito, Stanley Burrell, or even a Scoochie Smith.    

I'd say anytime you have a chance to get a Scoochie you take it

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

What a joke.  Andrew Nicholson doesn't even make the top 20.   He should be no worse than #4 on this list.  He carried what would have been a A10 bottom feeder without him to 20 wins, an A10 tournament championship and a NCAA tournament.  His game in the A10 tournament championship game against Xavier is the best game anyone has ever had in the last 20 years in this conference.  26 points, 14 rebounds and 8 blocked shots.  He averaged 23.3 points, 10 rebounds and 5.3 blocks a game in the A10 tournament. 

Nicholson was the first name that came to mind as an omission for me, too. He's the league's 9th-leading all-time scorer. Chris Monroe (GW) is third and didn't make the list. Jack Gibbs is the league's all-time scoring average leader.

By the way, I can't believe any website in existence still presents these things in slideshow format. What an unpleasant way to receive information.

10 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Nicholson was the first name that came to mind as an omission for me, too. He's the league's 9th-leading all-time scorer. Chris Monroe (GW) is third and didn't make the list. Jack Gibbs is the league's all-time scoring average leader.

By the way, I can't believe any website in existence still presents these things in slideshow format. What an unpleasant way to receive information.

I couldn’t make it through.  

clickbait slideshows should be outlawed 

In the category of "things nobody was asking for" I have decided to publish my top 20 A-10 players since 2020:

1. David West
  2. Jameer Nelson
  3. Obi Toppin
  4. Andrew Nicholson
  5. Tu Holloway
  6. Jaylen Adams
  7. Ahmad Nivins
  8. Steve Smith
  9. Kevin Anderson
  10. Dwayne Evans
  11. Jordair Jett
  12. Pat Carroll
  13. Jack Gibbs
  14. Peyton Aldrdige
  15. Deandre Bembry
  16. Brian Roberts
  17. Treveon Graham
  18. Khalif Wyatt
  19. TJ Cline
  20. Stephane Lasme

Toppin and Bembry both surely would have been higher had they played out their senior seasons. If you had asked me before making the list, I would have expected to put Steve Smith higher and Ahmad Nivins lower. In general, it's hard to rank players on really good teams (Dwayne Evans, Jordair Jett,  Treveon Graham, the Miller/Mack Xavier teams) because they are generally relied upon to carry less of the workload than someone like T.J. Cline or Brian Roberts. I think there are 3 players (Goodwin, Crutcher and Gilyard) who could easily crack this list with strong senior seasons.

26 minutes ago, NH said:

In the category of "things nobody was asking for" I have decided to publish my top 20 A-10 players since 2020:

1. David West
  2. Jameer Nelson
  3. Obi Toppin
  4. Andrew Nicholson
  5. Tu Holloway
  6. Jaylen Adams
  7. Ahmad Nivins
  8. Steve Smith
  9. Kevin Anderson
  10. Dwayne Evans
  11. Jordair Jett
  12. Pat Carroll
  13. Jack Gibbs
  14. Peyton Aldrdige
  15. Deandre Bembry
  16. Brian Roberts
  17. Treveon Graham
  18. Khalif Wyatt
  19. TJ Cline
  20. Stephane Lasme

Toppin and Bembry both surely would have been higher had they played out their senior seasons. If you had asked me before making the list, I would have expected to put Steve Smith higher and Ahmad Nivins lower. In general, it's hard to rank players on really good teams (Dwayne Evans, Jordair Jett,  Treveon Graham, the Miller/Mack Xavier teams) because they are generally relied upon to carry less of the workload than someone like T.J. Cline or Brian Roberts. I think there are 3 players (Goodwin, Crutcher and Gilyard) who could easily crack this list with strong senior seasons.

Tre Mitchell was the second best player in conference last year, averaging 20 points and 8 rebounds on a team that only averaged 67 points a game.  Just a slight improvement in his sophomore year would put him at 23 and 10. Where would he rank?

43 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Tre Mitchell was the second best player in conference last year, averaging 20 points and 8 rebounds on a team that only averaged 67 points a game.  Just a slight improvement in his sophomore year would put him at 23 and 10. Where would he rank?

In my completely subjective and arbitrary assessment, it would depend a little bit on how good UMass is. Tre Mitchell’s freshman year was maybe the best freshman season I’ve seen since we entered the A-10, so he certainly has the ability to enter the upper echelon of A-10 player if he keeps on this path for even 3 seasons. He turned the ball over a ton and wasn’t that efficient for a player his size, but those are both areas I expect him to improve greatly in his second year.