College Basketball 2020-21

Taj79

Both Villanova and St. Mary's hae announced their attendance plans for fans in this upcoming season.  Nova is pulling a Big Ten policy ..... only players' family, students, faculty and staff are allowed at games.  All season ticket holders have  been asked  to donate their season ticket costs to the school to help with the budget in these times of COVID.  

St. Mary's, with only a 3,500 seat arena, has yet to decide on game attendance but has made a similar request that season ticket holders either donate their costs to the school for budget purposes, apply the costs to next year's tickets, or ask for a refund.  

Bethune-Cookman University has suspended all sports for 20-21.  Bethune-Cookman has 3,773 students and had 15 test positive for COVID (00.4%) between Oct. 16 and 21.  They cited an overabundance of caution for the move.

The link below talks to some of the issues facing a lot of schools as November 25 approaches:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30195676/will-fans-allowed-college-basketball-arenas-2020-21

Again, I don't see what's going to change come January short of a vaccine coming out.

im holding out hope that the city allows at least 25% of capacity.   that would allow 2500+ fans and students and i think my seniority number gets me in the door with that.   probably will have to sit in the top row, but i will be there.   

i dont wish the task of reassigning seats to those allowed in.    that is going to be a no win result for SLU.

AGB91 likes this

I probably will not make the 25 percent cut there are too many great fans like Roy ahead of me so here is my plan.

To support SLU I will buy 2 extra seats in the lower bowl next season and give away the seats to family, friends and fans on this site.

I think this works better than donating the money because it brings in more fans and those fans spend money on concessions and parking.

I hope that the people I give tickets to will want to buy season tickets themselves.

12 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I probably will not make the 25 percent cut there are too many great fans like Roy ahead of me so here is my plan.

To support SLU I will buy 2 extra seats in the lower bowl next season and give away the seats to family, friends and fans on this site.

I think this works better than donating the money because it brings in more fans and those fans spend money on concessions and parking.

I hope that the people I give tickets to will want to buy season tickets themselves.

this is a good long term plan that will accelerate your points build.   i used to have 4 seats and with the mandatory gift per seat my points position gained (admittedly slow but it was getting better).   then my kids grew up and one got his own seats the other went to college elsewhere (yeah the black sheep of the family.  non billiken booo) and stayed out east after graduating and going to work out there so i saw no reason to have 4 seats any longer.   now with only two seats, my position is gradually going downhill now.   plus besides my mandatory gift, i no longer give any additional dollars because of the way the situation was handled.   the day pesty, stormy and krafty are gone from slu, i will reconsider.   but not before.  

NextYearBill and CBFan like this

I am not so sure that priority will be given to how you rank regarding getting tix.  My guess is they will do a lottery if they have fans and all season tix people will in it to some degree.  The higher your priority is may get you better seating but may also get you to more games but not to all of the them.  SLU has to maintain all their season tix holders so a bone will be thrown to all of them in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

I am not so sure that priority will be given to how you rank regarding getting tix.  My guess is they will do a lottery if they have fans and all season tix people will in it to some degree.  The higher your priority is may get you better seating but may also get you to more games but not to all of the them.  SLU has to maintain all their season tix holders so a bone will be thrown to all of them in my opinion.

-my guess is if they have to do anything it will be by Billiken Club points to reward those that have supported/donated, why have a Billiken Club ranking system if not going to use it?

-not for you cheese, but why is this its own thread? we already have a thread for this season and it's on page 1

Littlebill, willie and AGB91 like this

34 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

i wouldnt.   maybe a few of the seats for the johnny come lately, but you gotta keep your loyal been there forever boosters happy.    that's just good business.   now if you have a big time new booster, by all means throw their name in.   just my opinion.  

I know of several ticketholders who have had covid and recovered.   A doctors statement documenting their status could get them in attendance since they are essentially immune (although this is not completely clearcut).  Perhaps a documentation of vaccination, when that is available, would also be a criteria for admission

How many season ticket holders do we typically have?  If the answer is 5,000., then half get to go to the first game and half get to go to the second game and then repeat.  Your ranking on the Billiken points system will dictate how close you are to the floor.  Seems like the simplest and fairest system.

dlarry likes this

I assume we will just try to get whatever money back we can. The season is going to be limited in some capacity, seems easiest just to essentially opt out and watch from home. Plus, I think our donation is actually more than the cost of the ticket, so I would rather that go towards a full/normal season. Am I correct that the ticket cost is fully refundable, but not the donation which can be pushed to next season? I am not one to give $ to SLU that is not tied to watching Billiken basketball and I don't envision that ever changing for me.

16 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

How many season ticket holders do we typically have?  If the answer is 5,000., then half get to go to the first game and half get to go to the second game and then repeat.  Your ranking on the Billiken points system will dictate how close you are to the floor.  Seems like the simplest and fairest system.

-so the Billiken Club account holder with ranking #86 has the opportunity with a flip-flop system to see as many games as the account holder with ranking #5000? to me that is neither simple or fair

-just to clarify, I think there are 5,000 or so season tickets and about 6,000 Billiken Club accounts and I suspect not all of those BClub accounts  have men's season tickets as some might just donate and some have tickets to other sports, but the great majority probably do have men's season tickets

-if the U wants to grab some cash, have a two week donation window open for folks to improve their position

It's been a while now, maybe a couple months already, but Xavier gave season ticket holders a few options based on a deadline. If they paid their deposits already, they could either say they wanted to attend this season or they could defer until next year and keep their seats and status. If they hadn't paid yet, they could either pay and get in the mix for this season or wait for next season but lose their place in line. The catch for getting in the mix this season whether they paid or not, of course, is that they didn't have a clear picture yet of how many people could actually attend based on restrictions from the city, county, state, conference, or school itself. My wife's family decided to defer a year; they had already paid the deposit and didn't want to deal with the uncertainty.

I agree with @cgeldmacher's approach if attendance will be capped at 25%, or roughly the 2,500 mark, this season.

25 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

We were essentially Roy's son and just this past season bought our own tickets, so with only one season of donation we are ranked 2,622 out of 6,372.

5 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

We were essentially Roy's son and just this past season bought our own tickets, so with only one season of donation we are ranked 2,622 out of 6,372.

The number of Billiken Club accounts have gone from 5009 in 2016-17 to 6372 this past year. I would assume that anything past 3,000 is not active per TheChosenOne’s ranking. 

I know I'm biased as an out-of-town fan but I would love if they would guarantee the whole season available for streaming for a certain price, with an optional donation on top. Yes, we get most games on ESPN+ at this point and it's usually only a few dates a year that come into question, but if SLU were just to say "Virtual Season Tickets are $150" or whatever, and that comes with a guaranteed quality stream for every game regardless of location, I think they would do pretty well. I wouldn't hesitate to do it. I would almost certainly do it if I lived in STL, too. I have no interest in spending time indoors with strangers right now.

I guess the possible sticking point here is potential broadcast conflicts. It's something they can probably work out, though; like each stream might just be a link to ESPN+ for this game or Fox for that game, but your SLU virtual season ticket means you don't need that streaming service membership for this specific game, and the broadcaster gets a cut.

22 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It's been a while now, maybe a couple months already, but Xavier gave season ticket holders a few options based on a deadline. If they paid their deposits already, they could either say they wanted to attend this season or they could defer until next year and keep their seats and status. If they hadn't paid yet, they could either pay and get in the mix for this season or wait for next season but lose their place in line. The catch for getting in the mix this season whether they paid or not, of course, is that they didn't have a clear picture yet of how many people could actually attend based on restrictions from the city, county, state, conference, or school itself. My wife's family decided to defer a year; they had already paid the deposit and didn't want to deal with the uncertainty.

I agree with @cgeldmacher's approach if attendance will be capped at the 2,500 mark this season.

Yeah, I know we did it back in mid-August, I just forget what the exact dynamics are. I know we renewed, but I think you could still get a refund once the schedule for the season was known (I thought you got the refund for the tickets and then the donation pushed to next season, but that might not be exactly right). At this point with the schedule being altered and we don't even know what exactly it will look like, it seems unlikely I will want to pay that full amount to be a part of it (I know I already paid, so assuming that you can still get the refund). 

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I know I'm biased as an out-of-town fan but I would love if they would guarantee the whole season available for streaming for a certain price, with an optional donation on top. Yes, we get most games on ESPN+ at this point and it's usually only a few dates a year that come into question, but if SLU were just to say "Virtual Season Tickets are $150" or whatever, and that comes with a guaranteed quality stream for every game regardless of location, I think they would do pretty well. I wouldn't hesitate to do it. I would almost certainly do it if I lived in STL, too. I have no interest in spending time indoors with strangers right now.

I guess the possible sticking point here is potential broadcast conflicts. It's something they can probably work out, though; like each stream might just be a link to ESPN+ for this game or Fox for that game, but your SLU virtual season ticket means you don't need that streaming service membership for this specific game, and the broadcaster gets a cut.

This would be ideal.

16 minutes ago, Pistol said:

If your virtual ticket helps me avoid my FSMW problem I’m in.

I feel pretty good reading this. I'm still 957 and I have no alumni points and haven't had season tickets or donated in 10-11 years now. I just can't attend enough games to justify season tickets anymore, but I've been thinking about restarting my donation to the Billiken Club again. This seems like a good year. 

Box and Won and willie like this

17 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I feel pretty good reading this. I'm still 957 and I have no alumni points and haven't had season tickets or donated in 10-11 years now. I just can't attend enough games to justify season tickets anymore, but I've been thinking about restarting my donation to the Billiken Club again. This seems like a good year. 

It must be nice Skip! I have to imagine I am dead last for those currently getting season tickets as I am certain our only donation would have been last season.

5 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Both Villanova and St. Mary's hae announced their attendance plans for fans in this upcoming season.  Nova is pulling a Big Ten policy ..... only players' family, students, faculty and staff are allowed at games.  All season ticket holders have  been asked  to donate their season ticket costs to the school to help with the budget in these times of COVID.  

St. Mary's, with only a 3,500 seat arena, has yet to decide on game attendance but has made a similar request that season ticket holders either donate their costs to the school for budget purposes, apply the costs to next year's tickets, or ask for a refund.  

Bethune-Cookman University has suspended all sports for 20-21.  Bethune-Cookman has 3,773 students and had 15 test positive for COVID (00.4%) between Oct. 16 and 21.  They cited an overabundance of caution for the move.

The link below talks to some of the issues facing a lot of schools as November 25 approaches:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/30195676/will-fans-allowed-college-basketball-arenas-2020-21

Again, I don't see what's going to change come January short of a vaccine coming out.

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2020/10/20/49ers-levis-stadium-fans-coronavirus-santa-clara/

5 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

im holding out hope that the city allows at least 25% of capacity.   that would allow 2500+ fans and students and i think my seniority number gets me in the door with that.   probably will have to sit in the top row, but i will be there.   

i dont wish the task of reassigning seats to those allowed in.    that is going to be a no win result for SLU.

Las Vegas Raiders Owner Mark Davis didn't want to have to decide which fans would be allowed to attend games and which would not.  So he decided there would be no fans at Raiders home games this season.  In contrast, UNLV, which shares the new Allegiant Stadium with the Raiders, will be allowed to have some fans at games.

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

It must be nice Skip! I have to imagine I am dead last for those currently getting season tickets as I am certain our only donation would have been last season.

Just keep buying them. The good thing is there really isn't a bad seat at Chaifitz.  

And in a couple of years the amount of season ticket holders is going to go way up so you'll have plenty of people behind you soon

5 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

You are making my point - I would not argue with you at all.