Dayton's Eight Stars

Taj79

54 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I don't think with all the departures WSU is going to be the old WSU. In fact I'd be surprised if Marshall makes it to the opening game. I read the SI article on him, written by a woman reporter, and if he was at SLU our #metoo ladies would have run him out of town wearing tar and feathers. Obviously, Wichita's not so sensitive. 

???

Gregg Marshall is being called out for verbal and physical abuse of players, not anything to do with the Me Too movement. The story was broken by The Athletic, not Sports Illustrated, and was reported by two journalists, CJ Moore and Dana O'Neil. Dana O'Neil has been covering college basketball for 25 years and is well respected. I don't see what her being a woman has anything to do with her breaking that story. There is no similarity with the Gregg Marshall allegations and any of the previous off-the-court incidents that have happened at SLU.

2 hours ago, NH said:

???

Gregg Marshall is being called out for verbal and physical abuse of players, not anything to do with the Me Too movement. The story was broken by The Athletic, not Sports Illustrated, and was reported by two journalists, CJ Moore and Dana O'Neil. Dana O'Neil has been covering college basketball for 25 years and is well respected. I don't see what her being a woman has anything to do with her breaking that story. There is no similarity with the Gregg Marshall allegations and any of the previous off-the-court incidents that have happened at SLU.

The SI article dealt with Marshall using derogatory remarks about women and their anatomical parts to berate his players. I’m sure I don’t need to mention the words. SI was saying this kind of verbiage should be punished. Hence the #metoo reference. 

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

The SI article dealt with Marshall using derogatory remarks about women and their anatomical parts to berate his players. I’m sure I don’t need to mention the words. SI was saying this kind of verbiage should be punished. Hence the #metoo reference. 

sounds like proverbial locker room talk

8 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Since we have a Dayton specific thread going,

Here is the Sioux Falls bracket.

West Virginia Mountaineers (Big 12) vs. Texas A&M Aggies (SEC), 2 p.m. (ESPN)
Ohio State Buckeyes (Big Ten) vs. Memphis Tigers (American), approx. 4:30 p.m. (ESPN2)
Creighton Bluejays (Big East) vs. Utah Utes (Pac-12), 7:30 p.m. (ESPN2)
Dayton Flyers (A 10, Myrtle Beach Invitational) vs. Wichita State Shockers (American), approx. 10 p.m. (ESPN2)

Update:  Utah has dropped out of the Sioux Falls MTE, citing concerns over South Dakota's rising Covid Case rate, which is 113 daily new cases per 100000, second nationally.  Dayton would have played either Creighton or Utah in game two.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Dayton still has a shot at several nice games.  South Dakota State pulled out of the Kansas State MTE to play in this Sioux Falls tourney.  They are allowing a limited number of spectators.  Tickets were sold out in an hour.

S Dakota St looks like a good match up for Dayton.  The Jackrabbits are picked to win the Summit and return their top 5 scorers and their entire starting line up so they should be ready to go at the beginning.  But I gues, looking at the bracket, again, that the Flyers will likely not face SDS, but more likely Creighton.

Quarantine issues for both Ohio schools.  Cleveland State is supposed to be in Lincoln.  Wonder if they are getting nervous.  Lincoln cases are rising, just like just about every other locale in the nation.  Creighton could stay closer to home and play in Lincoln rather than Sioux Falls. That would be nice.

For those supporting this Dayton specific thread, here is an article from the Dayton Daily News.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/dayton-flyers-will-not-play-in-season-opening-tournament-in-south-dakota/JC535OUA2RD23N2P4J4AVNEOMI/

It's hard to believe that UD will be able to replace these 3 lost games with 3 quality opponents.  We are watching schedules crumble with more to come.

The NCAA is going to have to make some big adjustments to how the "Dance" teams are selected.  Clearly, we are still having trouble getting a schedule finalized.  At this point I just hope we, especially the 3 Seniors, get at least 20 pre-tournament games in. 

All of these changes, including the unnecessary "this year doesn't count" decision are going to play havoc with school and national record books.  In some cases it will depress individual achievements (fewer games this year means smaller ind. numbers-see single year #s and career # for HF) while the extra year for those who take advantage of it will inflate career #s in the record books. 

46 minutes ago, bauman said:

It's hard to believe that UD will be able to replace these 3 lost games with 3 quality opponents.  We are watching schedules crumble with more to come.

The NCAA is going to have to make some big adjustments to how the "Dance" teams are selected.  Clearly, we are still having trouble getting a schedule finalized.  At this point I just hope we, especially the 3 Seniors, get at least 20 pre-tournament games in. 

All of these changes, including the unnecessary "this year doesn't count" decision are going to play havoc with school and national record books.  In some cases it will depress individual achievements (fewer games this year means smaller ind. numbers-see single year #s and career # for HF) while the extra year for those who take advantage of it will inflate career #s in the record books. 

I agree that UD is sliding downhill on an icy slope.  Trying to schedule, and then win, OOC Q1 or Q2 games looks increasingly difficult for them.  I'm hoping they are talking to Ohio State and seeing if they can come up with a Ohio specific MTE. 

Looking at the calendar, we are one week away from 'Hold Your Breath'.  I believe, but I could be wrong, that SLU is following the NCAA guidelines (but is the A10?) on 14 day quarantine on full teams, if one positive is determined.  This clearly isn't what is happening if football-every conference seems to have different rules.  Fordham and UConn are both on two week pauses now.  So in one week, if any school has a positive, will they be out of any Thanksgiving week games?  I have heard that most schools are testing weekly, but will increase to three times a week the week games start.

The NCAA should make some adjustments, but will they?  They have to have a tourney for the revenue.  The larger the school, the larger the fan base, the larger the number of viewers, the larger the potential revenue from TV.

Records will take care of themselves.  I intend to ask Brian K soon on how they are handling Jimerson and Thatch, to begin with. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.a10talk.com/dayton-flyers-2020-21-season-preview-full-roster-breakdown-and-starting-lineup-predictions/

An interesting note near the bottom of this article.  The aforementioned Mustapha Amzil, an incoming freshman, will enroll in January and will play this season.  Since it is a free year, he won't lose any of his 4 years eligibility.  What a great way for a newcomer to get indoctrinated into D1.  I'd be surprised if he has any impact, but why not use his free year this way instead of roaming the sidelines.

brianstl likes this