Dayton's Eight Stars

Taj79

In case you missed it,  Dayton just got verbal commitments from not one but two four star forwards for 6'8" SF Kaleb Washington out of Georgia and 6'8" PFDaRon Holmes out of Arizona via Monteverde Academy in Florida.  These guys are huge gets for the A10, Dayton and Anthony Grant.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Maybe the next step to the San Diego State level.  Gonzaga wins their conference every year.

I liken them to 05-06 Gonzaga. They just had their own Adam Morrison, albeit better. They've gotten tourney bids consistently in a better conference and are now recruiting 4 stars. 

No reason to down play their success or exaggerate ours, unless you want to be the A10 St Mary's. 

Dayton has had supposed four-star recruits before .... Chris Wright, Brooks Hall and Chip Hare come to mind.  Obi Toppin was considered a one maybe two star recruit.  So Joaquin Andujar ...... youneverknow.

13 hours ago, thetorch said:

Dayton is taking that next step to that Gonzaga level.  We need to play catch up.

Amost like our two four-year seniors were both top 100 recruits... Are they more Goodwin or Jermaine Harris? We'll see.

40 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I liken them to 05-06 Gonzaga. They just had their own Adam Morrison, albeit better. They've gotten tourney bids consistently in a better conference and are now recruiting 4 stars. 

No reason to down play their success or exaggerate ours, unless you want to be the A10 St Mary's. 

LOL WHAT?!

49 minutes ago, thetorch said:

The 05-06 era Zags won their conference every year too and were ranked in the top 20 every year.  I'll stick with the San Diego State comparison.

Billiken Rich likes this

6 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

The 05-06 era Zags won their conference every year too and were ranked in the top 20 every year.  I'll stick with the San Diego State comparison.

Can't compare the two conferences.  The A10 is much much better.  If the Zags had been in a top 8 conference those years would they have won every year?  No.

5 hours ago, thetorch said:

Can't compare the two conferences.  The A10 is much much better.  If the Zags had been in a top 8 conference those years would they have won every year?  No.

Exactly.  It was actually easier for Gonzaga to ascend into a perennially ranked program in a weaker conference where their roster is head and shoulders better than everybody else.  UNLV had a similar reign coming out of the PCAA and the Big West in the 80s and early 90s.  But the A10 is akin to the the more competitive Mountain West where multiple programs pull in 4 star high school recruits and transfers from time to time.  Hence the San Diego State comparison.  Will Dayton even be ranked over the next two years?

I'm confused where to put this with all the new threads started, but Jalen Crutcher makes Jeff Goodman's second team All American.  He names Cade Cunningham Freshman of the year.  I'm still hoping we play OSU in Nebraska.

https://watchstadium.com/jeff-goodmans-2020-21-college-basketball-preseason-awards-10-27-2020/

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm confused where to put this with all the new threads started, but Jalen Crutcher makes Jeff Goodman's second team All American.  He names Cade Cunningham Freshman of the year.  I'm still hoping we play OSU in Nebraska.

https://watchstadium.com/jeff-goodmans-2020-21-college-basketball-preseason-awards-10-27-2020/

There will be a lot of people eating crow when they go 20-10 this year (or whatever the equivalent is for how many games are being played)

19 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Exactly.  It was actually easier for Gonzaga to ascend into a perennially ranked program in a weaker conference where their roster is head and shoulders better than everybody else.  UNLV had a similar reign coming out of the PCAA and the Big West in the 80s and early 90s.  But the A10 is akin to the the more competitive Mountain West where multiple programs pull in 4 star high school recruits and transfers from time to time.  Hence the San Diego State comparison.  Will Dayton even be ranked over the next two years?

Gonzaga's geography contributes to that as well.  They don't have an available step up in conference that they can take like Xavier, Creighton, and Butler did.  Each of those programs could have become a Gonzaga like program, but moved into the Big East.  Gonzaga is stuck in their situation and has made the best of it.  They're never going to get themselves out of their small pond.

24 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Gonzaga's geography contributes to that as well.  They don't have an available step up in conference that they can take like Xavier, Creighton, and Butler did.  Each of those programs could have become a Gonzaga like program, but moved into the Big East.  Gonzaga is stuck in their situation and has made the best of it.  They're never going to get themselves out of their small pond.

-I wish SLU was as "stuck" as Gonz

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

gonzaga completely made themselves.   go back to themid to late 90's and follow them forward.  they werent always the gonzaga everyone now takes forgranted.  mark few has done an amazing job at that school.   the climb started with a coach last name i think Fritzgerald or something like that and dan monson and mark few were his assistants.   fritzgerald finally left and monson stepped in and had a couple great years and i think left to go to the big ten.   few then moved up and the rest is history.   just a slow and steady climb doing things the right way with some breaks along the way.  but imo the consistency of few staying the course is the real key.   i am sure he has had plenty of chances to move up to higher profile schools and he's still there.   find that long term coach and we can be gonzaga.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

gonzaga completely made themselves.   go back to themid to late 90's and follow them forward.  they werent always the gonzaga everyone now takes forgranted.  mark few has done an amazing job at that school.   the climb started with a coach last name i think Fritzgerald or something like that and dan monson and mark few were his assistants.   fritzgerald finally left and monson stepped in and had a couple great years and i think left to go to the big ten.   few then moved up and the rest is history.   just a slow and steady climb doing things the right way with some breaks along the way.  but imo the consistency of few staying the course is the real key.   i am sure he has had plenty of chances to move up to higher profile schools and he's still there.   find that long term coach and we can be gonzaga.

Hopefully we have already found him Roy.

bauman and SLU_Nick like this

On 10/26/2020 at 7:40 PM, Taj79 said:

In case you missed it,  Dayton just got verbal commitments from not one but two four star forwards for 6'8" SF Kaleb Washington out of Georgia and 6'8" PFDaRon Holmes out of Arizona via Monteverde Academy in Florida.  These guys are huge gets for the A10, Dayton and Anthony Grant.

Try the recruiting threads, some of it is there. But yes, on paper this is some of the best recruiting in Dayton's program history. It's good for the A10 and good for SLU. Everyone benefits from an elevated conference. There is no ceiling for what SLU can be. SLU will need to keep improving. Having a high standard is a good thing.

21 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

Yes. Yes.  Here's to hoping.  I think we have him.  We just need him to stay.

Since we have a Dayton specific thread going,

Here is the Sioux Falls bracket.

West Virginia Mountaineers (Big 12) vs. Texas A&M Aggies (SEC), 2 p.m. (ESPN)
Ohio State Buckeyes (Big Ten) vs. Memphis Tigers (American), approx. 4:30 p.m. (ESPN2)
Creighton Bluejays (Big East) vs. Utah Utes (Pac-12), 7:30 p.m. (ESPN2)
Dayton Flyers (A 10, Myrtle Beach Invitational) vs. Wichita State Shockers (American), approx. 10 p.m. (ESPN2)

47 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Since we have a Dayton specific thread going,

Here is the Sioux Falls bracket.

West Virginia Mountaineers (Big 12) vs. Texas A&M Aggies (SEC), 2 p.m. (ESPN)
Ohio State Buckeyes (Big Ten) vs. Memphis Tigers (American), approx. 4:30 p.m. (ESPN2)
Creighton Bluejays (Big East) vs. Utah Utes (Pac-12), 7:30 p.m. (ESPN2)
Dayton Flyers (A 10, Myrtle Beach Invitational) vs. Wichita State Shockers (American), approx. 10 p.m. (ESPN2)

I don't think with all the departures WSU is going to be the old WSU. In fact I'd be surprised if Marshall makes it to the opening game. I read the SI article on him, written by a woman reporter, and if he was at SLU our #metoo ladies would have run him out of town wearing tar and feathers. Obviously, Wichita's not so sensitive. 

HoosierPal likes this