The Athletic - College Hoops Mailbag

pakapablo

1 minute ago, slufan13 said:

I would be annoyed with it too if I were him but he also didn't have to answer the question. In general though I have nothing but thanks for all the attention/questions he's answered. 

Yeah, it was fun at first but Andy T. is starting to enter troll territory at this point.  At least allow a couple of weeks between questions.

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Yeah, it was fun at first but Andy T. is starting to enter troll territory at this point.  At least allow a couple of weeks between questions.

At least its not lazy questions... Thats more troll territory 

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

I would be annoyed with it too if I were him but he also didn't have to answer the question. In general though I have nothing but thanks for all the attention/questions he's answered. 

Right.  I mean they probably get 100s of questions about only actually answer a few of them, right?  They've created this monster by answering a SLU question every week and can stop it any time they want.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Right.  I mean they probably get 100s of questions about only actually answer a few of them, right?  They've created this monster by answering a SLU question every week and can stop it any time they want.

I don't think he really wants to stop it. It seems to me he likes SLU and believes in us. Imo he was just trying to make a point to say chill a bit

Slowry likes this

Also in the Athletic today from the article titled Gonzaga-Iowa Keyontae Johnson, Holiday cheer and More- Shot takers. The article talks about gifts they want to give by Brian Hamilton and Dana O Neil

Dana: That is mighty kind of you, Brian. I’ll offer the same to my Philly friends at Temple.

I’m going to offer the gift of opportunity to our friends at Saint Louis. The Billikens faithful pepper our mailbags regularly with questions and are clearly quite eager for their team to get their due. They also may be a little miffed that Richmond has hogged the A10 spotlight. But now here it is, opportunity: The Spiders lost to West Virginia, and St. Louis this week has two name-brand programs on the docket in NC State and Minnesota.

Wins this week might push SLU into the Top 25 (it has already premiered in Eamonn Brennan’s power rankings), and cause for much merriment among the Billikens. And hey the Billiken looks like a deranged elf, so ’tis the season?

Brian: I can’t say it any clearer: There’s always a Saint Louis question in the Mailbag.

(Spoiler: It’s usually always the same guy too, which may disappoint Billikens faithful who think it’s an onslaught of curiosity every time. But we appreciate his passion.)

On 12/8/2020 at 7:10 AM, SLURadioBoy said:

Here’s another one...

Hypothetically, let’s say Saint Louis beats Minnesota on the road in a few weeks and finishes undefeated in nonconference play. Then they finishing second in the A10 behind Richmond. Will that be enough to get them an at-large bid to the tournament? Or will the lack of high-major teams who were willing to play them hurt them? — Andy T.

Yes! A SLU question. OK, so that is a lot of projecting, especially in a year when the NCAA Tournament selection committee might be drawing names out of a hat.

So here’s the thing with the Billikens: They’re really good, which means they’d pass the eye test, if the committee is forced to go that route. Their league is very good this year, which means they will get a bump from how the A10 performs as a whole. They beat LSU already, which is a nice nonconference win.

I don’t think anything is a guarantee, especially this season, but I’d argue that Saint Louis is very much in a good spot. Play well, win games, get a bid.

I don't like the question. 2nd behind Richmond with a 16-2 conference record (24-2) is an absolute lock for the NCAA and a really nice seed. 2nd behind Richmond with a 11-7 A-10 record and 19-9 overall probably isn't good enough. It's hard to finish 11-7 and still come in 2nd but it could happen. Even 10-6 in conference might not be good enough.

17 hours ago, bauman said:

What's with Dana's comment about wins this week MIGHT push the Bills into the top 25??????

If it didn't then a case for voter fraud might need to be filed with the Supreme Court .  🤨 😡

I really believe a win at Minnesota not only puts the Bills in the top 25 but they will enter in the teens.

8 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Andy T. is basically Andy from Shawshank after he gets his first round of funds for the library— “From now on, I’ll write two letters a week instead of one.”

“Good for you, Andy.”

I feel like his question next week should just be something like "Saint Louis is good this year.  Talk about how good the Billikens are."

I don’t care if Andy T. submits 1,000 questions every single week. Most these other schools have writers specifically assigned to write about them on The Athletic. SLU doesn’t. If this is what we have to do to get coverage, then this is what we have to do. Doesn’t bother me at all. If they don’t like it, find somebody to write for us full-time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From a Seth Davis article where he lists teams as Buy or Sell 

Saint Louis

HTSR: Buy
Vitals: 7-1, No. 23 AP, No. 29 KenPom

I would recommend this rating if only because of the presence of my man-crush, Jordan Goodwin. The Billikens’ 6-3 senior will go down as one of the best rebounding guards in college hoops history. His 11.1 boards per game ranks ninth in the country and second in the Atlantic 10. He is also ninth in the league in scoring (16.9) and fifth in steals (2.1). That toughness ethos pervades the roster. Senior guard Javonte Perkins has emerged as an explosive scorer (17.8 points per game), 6-foot sophomore point guard Yuri Collins leads the league in assists (7.3), 6-7 senior Hasahn French is an All-Glue candidate, and 6-5 sophomore Gibson Jimerson is an effective floor spacer (42.5 percent from 3). Throw in a No. 34 national defensive efficiency ranking, and you have the makings of a second weekend NCAA Tournament team.

Back in the Athletic power rankings. 

13. Saint Louis (7-1)

After a 6-0 start that included wins over LSU and NC State, Saint Louis made this list for the first time. The Billikens were a worthy inclusion, to be sure; this was clearly a very good team, perhaps especially on the offensive end, the culmination of a long, impressive rebuild by coach Travis Ford. At the time, though, SLU’s power rankings résumé was a little thin. This team had yet to leave home. When the Billikens did, on Dec. 20, they promptly lost to Minnesota, and subsequently fell out of our rankings. But that was before Minnesota became, you know, Minnesota. Five days later, the Gophers beat Iowa in overtime, then throttled Michigan State; after a road loss to Wisconsin, on Sunday they beat Ohio State by 17. All of a sudden, having one true road loss at Minnesota on your résumé doesn’t look at all disqualifying. Welcome back.

• 3 weeks later...

From the Athletic mailbag today

What’s the state of the Atlantic 10? Are the Bonnies good enough to stay at the top? Can the Billikens catch up? Should Fordham give up? When does Phil Martelli get his apology? — Mark H.

For the love of Easy Ed Macauley, we very nearly had a Mailbag without a Saint Louis question. This barely qualifies, but I’ll allow it. It’ll be a challenge for St. Bonaventure to hold off VCU and Richmond in what should be a two-bid league, but the Bonnies have great balance that should preclude destructive ebbs in performance. I don’t know about Fordham, and I don’t know that Phil Martelli should hold his breath, but I do know what I always know about Saint Louis: Watch out for the Billikens as a dark-horse national title contender.

There. The Saint Louis mailbag bit is saved. Long live the bit.