The Athletic - College Hoops Mailbag

pakapablo

I am almost 12 months in to my first year discounted Athletic subscription and need to decide if I renew. The price jumps for the 2nd year. For me they provide good pro sports content (more than I need) with some mid-major college basketball coverage. I also use the fantasy sports content because I am STILL playing fantasy football after all these years. SLU gets a few mentions here and there. Probably more mentions than a few but I am biased and expect more. Happy to see this reading College Hoops Mailbag this morning. Shoutout to Andy T. 

As a 15+ ppg scorer and the best rebounding guard in the country, could Saint Louis’ Jordan Goodwin get All-American consideration this season? — Andy T.

I cannot say it any clearer: There is always a Saint Louis question in the mailbag.

And, as always, I answer it the same way: If things break right, look out for the Billikens as a dark horse national title contender.

• 2 weeks later...

Imo the Athletic is some of the best money I spend on my enjoyment of sports. I literally find minimum 2-3 articles daily that interest me whether it be baseball, soccer, CBB, CFB.  I just looked it up, I paid $29.99 the 1st year and I've paid $59.99 per year for the last 2 years and it looks like that's what I'll pay for my 3rd year which is coming up. So I pay about .17 per day. Honestly, I'd pay triple that. 

Reinert310 likes this

More attention for the A-10 and the Bills in the mailbag...

Dana, how many Atlantic 10 teams do you think make the tournament this year? The league’s top half is the strongest it’s been in years. — Henley L.

With Richmond’s Nick Sherod now being out for the season, does that make Saint Louis the favorite in an A-10 that should be very deep this season? — Andy T.

Do you think UMass could be a sneaky team to compete at the top of the A10? I don’t think they’ll win the league but could they get top four? With Tre Mitchell potentially being the best player in the league and all the young guys on the team a year older and having transfers like Noah Fernandez, I think they could make some noise. — Amiel H.

Dana — is Tre Mitchell and the supporting cast enough to make UMass a contender in A10 (top-three finish)? Where should Minuteman fans put their expectations? — Patrick N.

VCU has been predicted to have a down year in the A-10. The two transfers — both talented big men — have received waivers for immediate eligibility. In addition to those two, they have a group of underclass guards that can shoot the ball well. Do you think that VCU will surprise anyone this year and come back from a down year in 2020? — David V.

So much Atlantic 10! I love it. For starters, I am thrilled to see the league back in the big picture conversation. It makes college basketball that much better, and more entertaining. Which is the start to Henley’s answer. Totally agree that the A10 is shaping up to be the best its been in some time. The catch this year is everything is a mess, and we’re not going to have our normal body of work to judge by. Selection Sunday is going to feel like a game of darts, and I’l be curious to see how teams in the A10 are judged, what with scheduling challenges.

Here’s what I think: Richmond and St. Louis are good enough to make the tournament, the Spiders even without Sherod. And although I understand the argument for the Billikens above Richmond without Sherod (which just stinks, by the way), I don’t discount the vote that still gave the Spiders the edge. Three double-figure scorers returning is a sweet place to start. After that, St. Bonaventure and Dayton still have to be respected as legit shots. Do not discount Jalen Crutcher simply putting the Flyers on his back and carrying them into March.

And yes, Amiel, Tre Mitchell makes UMass intriguing as a spoiler/team on the rise. The Minutemen are really young, so I think the future is still ahead for Matt McCall but trending in the right way. Top three might be tough to crack, but top four? Not out of reach.

Finally, I know it is particularly painful for VCU fans to watch Richmond succeed while the Rams try to regroup, but we have to be reasonable. VCU lost five players and is especially young. Sophomore Nah’Shon Hyland is going to be asked to do a lot this year, so I’d say practice some patience.

How do you submit questions for the mailbag? I've seen threads on the Athletic site for Cardinals mailbag questions but have not seen it anywhere else. I just subscribed last week so still working on the ins and outs of the site.

14 minutes ago, thetorch said:

How do you submit questions for the mailbag? I've seen threads on the Athletic site for Cardinals mailbag questions but have not seen it anywhere else. I just subscribed last week so still working on the ins and outs of the site.

@thetorch If you follow “college basketball” on the app, something will pop up under that tab that says “submit a question for “so and so’s” mailbag. I’m not sure if you will get a notification for the mailbag though, if you want to submit questions, just check the app a few times a week and you’ll see it.

1 minute ago, Reinert310 said:

@thetorch If you follow “college basketball” on the app, something will pop up under that tab that says “submit a question for “so and so’s” mailbag. I’m not sure if you will get a notification for the mailbag though, if you want to submit questions, just check the app a few times a week and you’ll see it.

15 minutes ago, thetorch said:

912CC586-25D8-41BA-82D2-848A97B32D72.png

Now the Billiken questions are growing!

Saint Louis’ Yuri Collins led all freshmen in assists last year. With the emergence of Javonte Perkins, the return of Gibson Jimerson and the ability of Jordan Goodwin and Hasahn French to dominate down low, could Collins break out and lead the country in assists as a sophomore? — Andy T.

With Northern Iowa dropping out of the Golden Window Classic that leaves Saint Louis with just 2 games there. Is a nonconference schedule featuring LSU, Nebraska and at Minnesota still strong enough to garner the Billikens a 6 seed or higher in the NCAAs? — Joel H.

I cannot say it any clearer: There’s always a Saint Louis question in the mailbag. And now there are two!

And I’ll answer them same way as I always have: Watch out for Yuri Collins to break out as a sophomore and lead the country in assists, and watch out for Saint Louis as a dark-horse national title contender.

52 minutes ago, thetorch said:

Seth Davis put up a new mailbag post 2 hours ago. Already 3 Billikens questions submitted.

Now 3 SLU questions and multiple comments in a separate article by Brian Bennett where he, Seth D. and another writer pick games including the spreads.  Fyi the writer (BB) picked LSU.  It seems like we are starting to get a decent amount of pub, which should help our rankings.

Here’s another one...

Hypothetically, let’s say Saint Louis beats Minnesota on the road in a few weeks and finishes undefeated in nonconference play. Then they finishing second in the A10 behind Richmond. Will that be enough to get them an at-large bid to the tournament? Or will the lack of high-major teams who were willing to play them hurt them? — Andy T.

Yes! A SLU question. OK, so that is a lot of projecting, especially in a year when the NCAA Tournament selection committee might be drawing names out of a hat.

So here’s the thing with the Billikens: They’re really good, which means they’d pass the eye test, if the committee is forced to go that route. Their league is very good this year, which means they will get a bump from how the A10 performs as a whole. They beat LSU already, which is a nice nonconference win.

I don’t think anything is a guarantee, especially this season, but I’d argue that Saint Louis is very much in a good spot. Play well, win games, get a bid.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't remember him usually having an attitude about it. However, I get where he would eventually tire of it. Especially questions that aren't real questions but just lead to an answer saying SLU is great. All in all I think he's supported the Bills pretty strongly. And the write up above was him.