NCAA D-1 Council votes in favor of additional year of eligibility

HoosierPal

20 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I agree with you. No real reason to go back for a 5th year.

he can go to the G league and work on his free throws 10 hours a day while not worrying about a test in his online “under water basket weaving” class.

Under Water Basket Weaving is a brutal class. It’s just such a different technique compared to Above Water Basket Weaving. Took me most of the semester to finally get it right. I got a C-.

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I disagree. Each player has an opportunity to make it to the NBA from college. The money in the NBA dwarfs money from any other league. If our seniors still have an area of their game to improve upon, then an extra year in college makes sense. For example, let’s assume French has some improvement to make in free throws or general shooting, college would still be the fastest and best route to get interest from the NBA.

my opinion has always been the nba cares mainly about potential.  sure the top few players might get picked because of what they can do in the moment.   but so often they thirst for potential and how many times have we seen seasoned seniors get pushed down the draft list and some 1 year player get picked as a lottery pick.  

now will that same seasoned senior get a camp invite?   most likely.  but so will about 10 other players per team and the competition is fierce.   ask javon bess.   my point is, unless they all at once will jump a foot higher or run twice as fast or put on 25 lbs of muscle my guess is johnbj14 is right.  take the money and run.  and if china or australia is he best they can get better than nothing and to risk an injury where they end up teaching P.E. in their hometown instead of getting their pro shot somewhere.  

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

The NBA has major problems with viewership at this time, until they find a way to fix it, they are not going to be spending a lot of time dealing with new draftees particularly not in trying to find diamonds in the rough among them. Goodwin and French went for the draft this season. My take is that Goodwin came from this experience energized and full of desire to improve certain things. French, on the other hand, has been very quiet about his NBA draft experience. I am not saying anything negative happened with French only that he came back from it very quiet and reserved.

with the chinese flu virus being what it has been in 2020 did french and goodwin even get any face to face time with any team or any scouts?   my guess is they might have gotten a phone call or their legal represenative did and passed that on to them.  but i honestly dont know the answer to that.  

18 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

my opinion has always been the nba cares mainly about potential.  sure the top few players might get picked because of what they can do in the moment.   but so often they thirst for potential and how many times have we seen seasoned seniors get pushed down the draft list and some 1 year player get picked as a lottery pick.  

now will that same seasoned senior get a camp invite?   most likely.  but so will about 10 other players per team and the competition is fierce.   ask javon bess.   my point is, unless they all at once will jump a foot higher or run twice as fast or put on 25 lbs of muscle my guess is johnbj14 is right.  take the money and run.  and if china or australia is he best they can get better than nothing and to risk an injury where they end up teaching P.E. in their hometown instead of getting their pro shot somewhere.  

Not to pick out one response in particular. On this topic, I think it is just a basic equation. The odds of jumping from Europe to the NBA are fairly low. The G league provides a good route to the NBA, but it has higher risk than being drafted. If you get drafted, you get guaranteed money. You also have a team’s investment. It is harder to cut someone in the summer if you drafted them in July, if you are the GM. You just look like you are an idiot. This applies even for second round picks, though 1st round is the big ticket.

Also, you can go to the G league and still reserve for the draft. 6 people have done it, so it is just kind of a lightly tread path.

So, knowing that, just calculate the amount of money you would obtain as a draft pick, versus taking an immediate salary. Get an estimate for the odds, for example, of 1st round money and 1 year of no pay against taking an immediate salary. I think the pro evaluation would be instrumental in making this decision, just as it is when choosing a 4th year. In fact, I think a 4th and 5th year decision should be identical.

2 hours ago, AnkielBreakers said:

For example, let’s assume French has some improvement to make in free throws or general shooting, college would still be the fastest and best route to get interest from the NBA.

Don't know how many extra years that will take :)

10 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Also, year five of eligibility doesn't have to be here.

Or year two, three or four.  What was posted elsewhere is that the one free transfer is it.  You can't do a transfer mid career (say year 3) and then Grad Transfer (a second transfer) without sitting.

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

I got a C-.

Weather intended or not, my brain immediately laughed at the perceived play of 'C-' as 'under the sea'.  Very appropriate for underwater basket weaving.

Here is another interesting twist on the new free year rule.  So let's say -example only- French decides he wants a 5th year and wants to go back home to a New England school to play it out.  He would count against the 13 roster limit for the new school, but wouldn't count against the 13 if he stayed at SLU. 

This whole new additional year plus the upcoming free transfer rule makes my head hurt.

1 hour ago, Reinert310 said:

Of course! No way I earn a C- in a class like that straight up.

Of course you are talking about under water basket weaving 101, the one you do on the bottom of the pool with a scuba tank on your back. The advanced course is tougher you have to hold your breath while you weave your baskets. Now that is hard!

22 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is another interesting twist on the new free year rule.  So let's say -example only- French decides he wants a 5th year and wants to go back home to a New England school to play it out.  He would count against the 13 roster limit for the new school, but wouldn't count against the 13 if he stayed at SLU. 

This whole new additional year plus the upcoming free transfer rule makes my head hurt.

I like that, because it creates incentive for kids to stay at the school they are already at for that extra year.  Basically, another school has to us a roster spot for you, but your school doesn't.