NCAA D-1 Council votes in favor of additional year of eligibility

HoosierPal

With one free transfer likely to be approved in January, the 21-22 season will be very fuzzy.  Why sign any incoming freshmen to scholarships?  If all three of our seniors decided to stick around, would there be any open schollies?  Or if they leave, let's see who else is out there in the portal.

And why would the seniors choose to stay for an extra year? Both French and Goodwin put their names in the NBA draft this past summer. Is there a reason to think they will not try again at the end of the coming season? Is there a reason to think they will not be good enough to be chosen? Do they have any interest in enrolling in a graduate program?

10 minutes ago, Old guy said:

And why would the seniors choose to stay for an extra year? Both French and Goodwin put their names in the NBA draft this past summer. Is there a reason to think they will not try again at the end of the coming season? Is there a reason to think they will not be good enough to be chosen? Do they have any interest in enrolling in a graduate program?

These are all questions we can’t answer. Maybe they feel like 1 more year of college will get them closer to the NBA than going overseas will. Maybe they want to have a “normal” senior season with a “normal” NCAA tournament. A lot can happen between now and next summer.

billiken_roy likes this

I can’t imagine anybody who plans on playing pro ball, NBA or overseas, sticks around.

If Goodwin can’t get drafted this year he won’t be drafted next year. Sticking around just makes him one year older before making money playing professionally.

I see the Kyle Cassity types sticking around. The guy who has no plans of playing professionally but still gets PT and is a helpful on the court. 

11 hours ago, Old guy said:

Who doesn’t want to repeat as a national champion?

slufanskip and dlarry like this

28 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Maybe this is why we quit recruiting Nesbitt. We knew this would happen and Goodwin is playing an extra year

depending on the number of games that we would get to play this year and assuming a full year would be played next, goodwin would possibly challenge bonner for the all time scoring leader?  (i am not good at math😄)

I think the 3 seniors might like getting another free year of a SLU education that will put them only 2 semesters away from a masters degree.  The seniors will also benefit from another year of playing.

Consider the source of my opinion because I have such a high opinion of SLU student athletes that they came to SLU for a good education too.

This is why I am a Billikens fan.

jweste216 and drkelsey55 like this

12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I should have picked up on this earlier, but it just struck me...this is a major deal for the next 5 years; it's not just a one time deal for seniors. You could have incoming freshman that end up playing 5 years.

8 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I should have picked up on this earlier, but it just struck me...this is a major deal for the next 5 years; it's not just a one time deal for seniors. You could have incoming freshman that end up playing 5 years.

It’s going to be an absolute wild west with recruiting, transfers, etc. Trying to wrap ones head around all the implications of this four classes getting an extra year is beyond unwieldy.

Here is a short NCAA release.  It doesn't say anymore than we already know.  From other sources, it appears that returning seniors simply won't count on the roster limit of 13.  That will give some schools, who knows, 15+ on the bench, and others 13. 

And here is a question.  Okoro is taking a medical redshirt this upcoming season.  Will he get three years on court as a Billiken?

DI Council extends eligibility for winter sport student-athletes

Members also provide additional flexibility in championships selection, membership requirements

October 14, 2020 3:15pm

Winter sport student-athletes who compete during 2020-21 in Division I will receive both an additional season of competition and an additional year in which to complete it, the Division I Council decided. The same flexibility was provided to student-athletes after the spring season was canceled in 2020 and the fall season was seriously impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Council met by videoconference Tuesday and Wednesday.

“The pandemic will continue to impact winter sport seasons in ways we can’t predict. Council members opted to provide for winter sport student-athletes the same flexibility given spring and fall sports previously,” said Council chair M. Grace Calhoun, athletics director at Pennsylvania. “The actions today ensure the continuation of local decision-making in the best interest of each institution and its student-athletes.”

19 hours ago, CBFan said:

I think the 3 seniors might like getting another free year of a SLU education that will put them only 2 semesters away from a masters degree.  The seniors will also benefit from another year of playing.

Consider the source of my opinion because I have such a high opinion of SLU student athletes that they came to SLU for a good education too.

This is why I am a Billikens fan.

As much as I love my alma mater, there isn’t really a reason for our three seniors to stay after this year. If their goal is to play pro basketball, staying an extra season only makes them a year older in the eyes of pro scouts. Additionally, I’m not really sure how much more development Jordan and Hasahn can undergo at the college level. At some point, they will move on. Maybe Perkins considers it considering he didn’t develop in a D1 environment for 4 years, but I’m not anticipating that. 

37 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

As much as I love my alma mater, there isn’t really a reason for our three seniors to stay after this year. If their goal is to play pro basketball, staying an extra season only makes them a year older in the eyes of pro scouts. Additionally, I’m not really sure how much more development Jordan and Hasahn can undergo at the college level. At some point, they will move on. Maybe Perkins considers it considering he didn’t develop in a D1 environment for 4 years, but I’m not anticipating that. 

I disagree. Each player has an opportunity to make it to the NBA from college. The money in the NBA dwarfs money from any other league. If our seniors still have an area of their game to improve upon, then an extra year in college makes sense. For example, let’s assume French has some improvement to make in free throws or general shooting, college would still be the fastest and best route to get interest from the NBA.

14 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I disagree. Each player has an opportunity to make it to the NBA from college. The money in the NBA dwarfs money from any other league. If our seniors still have an area of their game to improve upon, then an extra year in college makes sense. For example, let’s assume French has some improvement to make in free throws or general shooting, college would still be the fastest and best route to get interest from the NBA.

Counterpoint: if a player hasn’t improved a facet of their game in 4 years for a particular coaching staff, why would any NBA team believe year 5 is what changes it? Look, I’d love it for any of them to stay a fifth year, but it likely isn’t going to happen. I’d love to be wrong. 

10 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Counterpoint: if a player hasn’t improved a facet of their game in 4 years for a particular coaching staff, why would any NBA team believe year 5 is what changes it? Look, I’d love it for any of them to stay a fifth year, but it likely isn’t going to happen. I’d love to be wrong. 

Usually, whether or not a player with eligibility remaining goes or stays depends on the feedback they get from NBA scouts. If for example scouts told Perkins that he is a late 2nd round prospect and there is nothing he can do that would change that he goes. But if they tell him that if he improved his defense and ball handling that he could be a lottery pick, that would be worth staying for. 

I agree with you on French and Goodwin, I don't think there is anything they can do to change their status. But I think the Perkins situation is different, he has played only 1 year of D1 ball and did not get a chance to play in any postseason tournaments where players can often boost their profile with a series of good performances in tournament play.  

johnbj14 likes this

The NBA has major problems with viewership at this time, until they find a way to fix it, they are not going to be spending a lot of time dealing with new draftees particularly not in trying to find diamonds in the rough among them. Goodwin and French went for the draft this season. My take is that Goodwin came from this experience energized and full of desire to improve certain things. French, on the other hand, has been very quiet about his NBA draft experience. I am not saying anything negative happened with French only that he came back from it very quiet and reserved.

1 hour ago, johnbj14 said:

I agree with you. No real reason to go back for a 5th year.

he can go to the G league and work on his free throws 10 hours a day while not worrying about a test in his online “under water basket weaving” class.