New Assistant?

21 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Just a hypothetical, assuming the above post about Carrawell is fake news, in the event Travis was to jump for another shot at a P%, what would you all think about SLU bringing him as a successor? 

Another energetic, proven P6 coach who realizes what a good job a high mid major is.  Coach Ford and Anthony Grant are reaping the benefits of their foresight.

SLU_Lax likes this

This "rumor" is coming from a Twitter user with 18 followers. He has some strange tweets, including at least one referencing Duke earlier in his timeline (to save you the unnecessary time, he's lamenting that a Polish Catholic like Coach K would lead the program of a "WASP Confederate Haven" like Duke. I told you it was strange.). The account seems like an excuse to mildly annoy anyone who comes to his attention and isn't a hardline traditionalist Catholic, using the "character" of Louis DuBourg. It's extremely weird, and I'm betting it's just a low-level Twitter troll and not anyone connected to higher ups in the University or AD.

So this isn't a person to be taken seriously, even if the idea itself is fun to consider for a second. However, Carrawell isn't going to leave his job as Duke third assistant for SLU second assistant. Coach K is the first or second highest paid head coach in the game. I have to imagine his assistants do better than most, as well. Plus, if you're looking at the landscape of college sports right now, you're not going to move from one of the most powerful programs in any school or sport to a non-power conference school. Less money, less job security, less prestige. It doesn't make sense on any level unless there was something requiring him to physically live in St. Louis (in which case he would probably not continue a job that requires frequent travel).

39 minutes ago, Pistol said:

This "rumor" is coming from a Twitter user with 18 followers. He has some strange tweets, including at least one referencing Duke earlier in his timeline (to save you the unnecessary time, he's lamenting that a Polish Catholic like Coach K would lead the program of a "WASP Confederate Haven" like Duke. I told you it was strange.). The account seems like an excuse to mildly annoy anyone who comes to his attention and isn't a hardline traditionalist Catholic, using the "character" of Louis DuBourg. It's extremely weird, and I'm betting it's just a low-level Twitter troll and not anyone connected to higher ups in the University or AD.

So this isn't a person to be taken seriously, even if the idea itself is fun to consider for a second. However, Carrawell isn't going to leave his job as Duke third assistant for SLU second assistant. Coach K is the first or second highest paid head coach in the game. I have to imagine his assistants do better than most, as well. Plus, if you're looking at the landscape of college sports right now, you're not going to move from one of the most powerful programs in any school or sport to a non-power conference school. Less money, less job security, less prestige. It doesn't make sense on any level unless there was something requiring him to physically live in St. Louis (in which case he would probably not continue a job that requires frequent travel).

First line under his/her Twitter handle says "Former President of @Georgetown". I stopped reading after that.

Since we're on the topic of former Cardinal Ritter standouts, what are Jahidi White and Loren Woods up to? Are either involved in basketball? I saw White at Three Kings in the Loop a year or two back and good god almighty he is a big dude.  Why not give one of these dudes or someone similar (former college star who has returned home to STL) a shot at recruiting STL kids for SLU? Wonder how effective the "You don't have to go to Georgetown/Wake Forest/Arizona like I did to get drafted. Stay in STL, become a hometown hero, then get drafted" narrative would be. Can you have a part time assistant on the payroll?

8 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

First line under his/her Twitter handle says "Former President of @Georgetown". I stopped reading after that.

Since we're on the topic of former Cardinal Ritter standouts, what are Jahidi White and Loren Woods up to? Are either involved in basketball? I saw White at Three Kings in the Loop a year or two back and good god almighty he is a big dude.  Why not give one of these dudes or someone similar (former college star who has returned home to STL) a shot at recruiting STL kids for SLU? Wonder how effective the "You don't have to go to Georgetown/Wake Forest/Arizona like I did to get drafted. Stay in STL, become a hometown hero, then get drafted" narrative would be. 

Don't we already have a top flight local recruiter, who happened to get promoted recently to Associate HC?  I'm more than happy with Corey Tate although he has missed on a few top-level local kids in the past couple of years.   I guess you can't win them all and some kids just want to be part of a "big name" basketball school,e.g. Ohio St; UNC and KY.  I'm glad that others want to stay and help build the Billikens(Goodwin, Yuri and TJ) into the high quality program we are seeing develop.    I hope we can add N Kern to that latter group.

5 minutes ago, bauman said:

Don't we already have a top flight local recruiter, who happened to get promoted recently to Associate HC?  I'm more than happy with Corey Tate although he has missed on a few top-level local kids in the past couple of years.   I guess you can't win them all and some kids just want to be part of a "big name" basketball school,e.g. Ohio St; UNC and KY.  I'm glad that others want to stay and help build the Billikens(Goodwin, Yuri and TJ) into the high quality program we are seeing develop.    I hope we can add N Kern to that latter group.

Good point re: Tate. I don't necessarily mean a full-time assistant. Can you just contract out one or two recruiters? I don't know how this all works but guessing that is definitely not allowed. 

25 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

Well, you can....but then there's the issue of sanctions when that coach does something else against the rules. 

A show-cause penalty means that if you hire the coach the sanctions come with him.  You don't even have to wait until he does something else against the rules, you get penalized for what he did at his previous school just for hiring him.

Piling on Penny / Lil Penny, it's kind of a bad look for Hardaway that Nike had to use a puppet / alter-ego to sell his shoes because his own personality wasn't getting the job done.  He's always been all hype with very little to show for it.  Couldn't win a title even with Shaq and accomplished even less without him.

JettFlight5 likes this

I'm over the moon with the job Tate has done locally. Great hire by Travis. Can't lay the 4-5 star locals that have gone elsewhere off on him. These kids all had stars in their eyes, ie UK, UNC, Texas, et al. I don't see Messphis in with what might be considered the elite of college hoops, which makes the Nesbitt recruitment sting more than Love or Fletcher going elsewhere. I also wouldn't be surprised if one or both of those two are seeking transfer status after a year or two. Easy to get recruited over at those places. Not saying they'll end up at SLU necessarily. In order for us to make serious inroads with the top St. Louis area players, we have to become a Zaga, or get in the Big East.