OT: LaSalle Cutting Seven Programs

Box and Won

LaSalle has eliminated baseball, men's swimming/diving, tennis and water polo, along with women's softball, volleyball and tennis.  Hard to believe they had football as recently as 2007.

https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports/la-salle/la-salle-cuts-sports-baseball-softball-20200929.html

14 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

LaSalle has eliminated baseball, men's swimming/diving, tennis and water polo, along with women's softball, volleyball and tennis.  Hard to believe they had football as recently as 2007.

https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports/la-salle/la-salle-cuts-sports-baseball-softball-20200929.html

How does this keep them as D1?

45 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Hopefully they drop basketball soon

Total is apparently 14 if I can math. The following is from the NCAA website, the first sentence of a long paragraph.

Division I member institutions have to sponsor at least seven sports for men and seven for women (or six for men and eight for women) with two team sports for each gender.

La Salle is in a tough spot. They are in a crap part of Philly, the campus is landlocked with no room for expansion, and they have become the dregs of the Big Five in Philly as well. Barely ahead of St. Joe's.  Nova is a national brand and power.  Temple is second tier NCAA but can surprise.  Penn wears the ivy League loincloths and get a break there.  

Growing up as a kid and watching the Big Five, I always leaned towards La Salle and they had some really great teams in the mid- to late-60s.  Of course, that was before NCAA basketball really took off.  Their "glory" of the 60s is a lot more recent than ours of the 50s.  I don't know what their alumni base is but when I go to their games, getting a seat in their big booster section is easy and relatively cheap.  They all seem older than our fan base.  They need to find a better league to compete in because short of an aberration or two, they are not competitive in the A10.  Neither is Fordham.  If Ashley Howard doesn't deliver something no one will.  

COVID has drained many collegiate programs especially the type and make of La Salle.  They only really have basketball and if the A10 isn't playing what pittance they draw from there doesn't happen and they hurt more than most.  I can see half of the A10 exploring similar moves moving forward.  It will be interesting to see what Duquesne and Fordham do with their football programs moving forward.  

Reinert310 and MichaelC like this

32 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

La Salle is in a tough spot. They are in a crap part of Philly, the campus is landlocked with no room for expansion, and they have become the dregs of the Big Five in Philly as well. Barely ahead of St. Joe's.  Nova is a national brand and power.  Temple is second tier NCAA but can surprise.  Penn wears the ivy League loincloths and get a break there.  

Growing up as a kid and watching the Big Five, I always leaned towards La Salle and they had some really great teams in the mid- to late-60s.  Of course, that was before NCAA basketball really took off.  Their "glory" of the 60s is a lot more recent than ours of the 50s.  I don't know what their alumni base is but when I go to their games, getting a seat in their big booster section is easy and relatively cheap.  They all seem older than our fan base.  They need to find a better league to compete in because short of an aberration or two, they are not competitive in the A10.  Neither is Fordham.  If Ashley Howard doesn't deliver something no one will.  

COVID has drained many collegiate programs especially the type and make of La Salle.  They only really have basketball and if the A10 isn't playing what pittance they draw from there doesn't happen and they hurt more than most.  I can see half of the A10 exploring similar moves moving forward.  It will be interesting to see what Duquesne and Fordham do with their football programs moving forward.  

well said.

2 hours ago, Taj79 said:

From a competitive standpoint LaSalle and Fordham would be better off in the America East conference or the Patriot league.

Littlebill likes this

On 10/1/2020 at 9:11 AM, Taj79 said:

Doesn't the A-10 give them much more of an opportunity to mooch off of other teams' NCAA Tournament credits.  I don't know everything about this, but my basic understanding is that if a team makes the tournament, half of the money they earn from making the tournament or advancing in the tournament goes to the actual school and half is split amongst the other teams in the school's conference.  Someone enlighten me on whether or not this is correct.

My point is that schools like LaSalle and Fordham have a strong incentive to stay in a conference like the A-10 where other schools do all the heavy lifting.  LaSalle and Fordham can just sit back, collect the money from the NCAA credits, and use it to fund their other sports.

34 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Doesn't the A-10 give them much more of an opportunity to mooch off of other teams' NCAA Tournament credits.  I don't know everything about this, but my basic understanding is that if a team makes the tournament, half of the money they earn from making the tournament or advancing in the tournament goes to the actual school and half is split amongst the other teams in the school's conference.  Someone enlighten me on whether or not this is correct.

My point is that schools like LaSalle and Fordham have a strong incentive to stay in a conference like the A-10 where other schools do all the heavy lifting.  LaSalle and Fordham can just sit back, collect the money from the NCAA credits, and use it to fund their other sports.

I'm not sure if your math is correct (it might be)  but your point is certainly valid.  I'm trying to come up with a school which has voluntarily left a conference to go to an inferior one and I'm not having any luck.  All the conference moves I can recall were to expected better conferences or have something to do with football e.g. Temple.  So if LaSalle and Fordham don't mind being perpetual losers as long as they can pick up,  A-10 NCAA tournament $$$, then there isn't any motivation for them to take a step backwards to a one bid conference.

The Fordham softball program has been the most successful recent program for the Rams, winning seven of the past eight Atlantic 10 championships (2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018) and earning an NCAA championship berths in eight of the past nine years (2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018).

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

If I remember correctly, the A10 lets the school keep 75% and 25% goes to the pot.  That actually is generous for the school selected.  It also creates less money for the pot to be divided up with the other schools.

28 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

If I remember correctly, the A10 lets the school keep 75% and 25% goes to the pot.  That actually is generous for the school selected.  It also creates less money for the pot to be divided up with the other schools.

-and rightly, imo, rewards the team that did the heavy lifting while still sharing with conference

cheeseman likes this

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

That's my memory too but it all came from some article written probably 8 years ago so who knows if things have changed or what.

LaSalle's run to the Sweet 16 in 2013 generated them 4 NCAA units (since they played in the play-in game that year) and those payouts just ended (it lasts six years). Coupled with the pandemic, something had to give. 

cheeseman likes this