Second-Team A-10 Title Chances

Randy

Let's say the Billikens' starting 5 is as follows: Yuri, Goodwin, French, Bell Jr. & DJ

Now take those 5 away from the Billikens.

Where does the team rank in the A-10 this year with: Perkins, Thatch, Jimerson, Linssen, THJ, Strickland, Russell, Hightower & Lorentsson as the main contributors? 

34 minutes ago, Randy said:

Let's say the Billikens' starting 5 is as follows: Yuri, Goodwin, French, Bell Jr. & DJ

Where does the team rank in the A-10 this year with: Perkins, Thatch, Jimerson, Linssen, THJ, Strickland, Russell, Hightower & Lorentsson as the main contributors? 

Upper half maybe upper third. 

Challenge for top 4. Starters being Russell(?), Thatch, Jimerson, Perkins, Linssen. 2-4 is better than most everyone in the league, and Linssen will certainly hold his own. PG is a question mark, but TJ would still be one of the best bench contributors in the league. Depth would obviously be an issue obviously. But Perkins is  top 3 scorer in the league and that wouldn't change. Switch out Perkins and Jacobs, and they're probably in the middle of the league.

8 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-we have NEVER been in a position to have this question asked and thought about in a serious manner, incredible what CFord and Staff have done and are doing

I actually chuckled while reading the original post.  That second team lineup is absurdly good.

3 hours ago, Randy said:

I think they could do decent enough against our 5 starters you picked.

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Another way of looking at it is you could split up two teams of 5 as evenly as possible, and both teams would probably be top 3/4 in the league

back in our conference usa days tulane had a team one year that was that deep and they subbed 5 in 5 out unless of injury or foul trouble.   able to press and fastbreak like crazy.   they were fun to watch.  

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

I actually chuckled while reading the original post.  That second team lineup is absurdly good.

Agree with you and Willie's opinions on this.  The 9 players listed provide a well-rounded team.  A starting and back up PG-Russell and Hightower, a number of possible SGs-GJ, FT Jr and M Strickland, a few SF options-JP, FT Jr, TJH, GJ and A Lorentsson,  guys that could fill the 4 spot-JP, TJH and AL and a quality starting 5 - M Linssen. 

In addition, this is quite a free throw shooting group with Russell, Jimerson, Hargrove and Lorentsson all of whom are well above average.

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

back in our conference usa days tulane had a team one year that was that deep and they subbed 5 in 5 out unless of injury or foul trouble.   able to press and fastbreak like crazy.   they were fun to watch.  

The Posse coached by Perry Clark.

41 minutes ago, thetorch said:

I think we are exaggerating a bit here.  I think without our starters we would not have to be in the play in game.  No higher than 8th in the league.

Last year, UMass finished 8th, VCU finished 9th. I think that’s about the range our “2nd team” would finish in. GW was 10th, and our 2nd team would CRUSH GW last year. Perkins and Jimerson alone would be enough to beat GW last year.

The 5 Billiken starters listed are a little deceptive because they are not the top 5 in average minutes. I think most board members and probably coach Ford, if they had to pick just 5 Billikens to play a game, without regard to a specific opponent, would choose French, Perkins, Goodwin, Jimerson and Yuri.  

It still leaves a lot of talent.

1 hour ago, Aquinas said:

The 5 Billiken starters listed are a little deceptive because they are not the top 5 in average minutes. I think most board members and probably coach Ford, if they had to pick just 5 Billikens to play a game, without regard to a specific opponent, would choose French, Perkins, Goodwin, Jimerson and Yuri.  

It still leaves a lot of talent.

Yeah, Perkins is a bench player the way Havlicek was a bench player for the Celtics in the late 1960s.  Technically, but not really.

If you look at the defensive numbers with Bell and French on the floor I think you still have the option of not starting Perkins.  Set a physical tone at the beginning of games opens up space for Perkins when he comes in at the 16 minute mark.

26 minutes ago, thetorch said:

If you look at the defensive numbers with Bell and French on the floor I think you still have the option of not starting Perkins.  Set a physical tone at the beginning of games opens up space for Perkins when he comes in at the 16 minute mark.

I agree, I like Perkins off the bench. He just brings a dynamic as a 6th man no other team can match. I'd personally start Yuri, Jim, JGood, French, and Bell. 

bauman likes this