U.S. News (SLU)

courtside

5 minutes ago, Compton said:

If the SLU endowment is at $1.5b, that's a 25% increase from the $1.2b reported for 2020, which seems pretty good (if not transformational) and is consistent with an average of the S&P and Dow over the last year.

Many university endowments have reported gains of 50% or more in the last year. Wash U reported a 65% gain. How did they do that? Private equity investments. I do agree that 25% would be good depending on their allocation of funds. My criticism would be what happened after the Tenent sale. 

14 minutes ago, willie said:

Many university endowments have reported gains of 50% or more in the last year. Wash U reported a 65% gain. How did they do that? Private equity investments. I do agree that 25% would be good depending on their allocation of funds. My criticism would be what happened after the Tenent sale. 

-I'll wonder about both, when other U's are saying huge gains and we have 25% that is not impressive - and yes, what happened to the gains from that hospital money? 

-on the other side, I was shocked to see other Catholic schools with much less in their endowment coffers than we have (Marq, Nova, Creighton as 3 examples)

-is there a good place to see where the U spends any of the endowment funds? 

5 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-I'll wonder about both, when other U's are saying huge gains and we have 25% that is not impressive - and yes, what happened to the gains from that hospital money? 

-on the other side, I was shocked to see other Catholic schools with much less in their endowment coffers than we have (Marq, Nova, Creighton as 3 examples)

-is there a good place to see where the U spends any of the endowment funds? 

Last I looked SLU had the fourth largest endowment of any Catholic University.  Top five in order I believe were Notre Dame, Boston College, Georgetown, Saint Louis and then Santa Clara.

6 hours ago, Compton said:

If the SLU endowment is at $1.5b, that's a 25% increase from the $1.2b reported for 2020, which seems pretty good (if not transformational) and is consistent with an average of the S&P and Dow over the last year.

We ranked #54 according to this site. As you mentioned the updated amount probably around $1.5b amount I think the only A10 schools that beats us out is GW & Richmond (old tobacco $) 

https://www.collegeraptor.com/college-rankings/details/Endowment

31 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

We ranked #54 according to this site. As you mentioned the updated amount probably around $1.5b amount I think the only A10 schools that beats us out is GW & Richmond (old tobacco $) 

https://www.collegeraptor.com/college-rankings/details/Endowment

-the balances on that site don't agree to what is being said in the recent press which are much higher for some

8 hours ago, Compton said:

Yes, it was up to a billion right before the 2008 crash and several bad investments that caused some worry at the end of Biondi's tenure. I'm sure it's easier to fund raise from fat cats when their own porfolios are way up over the last few years.