U.S. News (SLU)

courtside

5 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-what was the highest ranking in this SLU has had? I thought 75 or so, I don't like to see the other schools passing us, especially other Catholic and Jesuit institutions 

-BAB, what is going on at Santa Clara? they get a boatload of tech money?

Santa Clara previously was ranked in the Regional category, has moved up to National University in these US News & World Report rankings, as apparently have Loyola Marymount and Gonzaga.  Yes, Santa Clara has significant high tech money from its alumni base.  FWIW the current California Governor is a Santa Clara alumnus.

10 hours ago, Cowboy said:

There are some other weird/surprising ones in Cali. For instance, UC-Merced is a commuter school out in the middle of nowhere (it's not really in Merced, but the Sierra Nevada foothills) that is still in the process of building out their campus after being founded in 2005 and has a $55 million endowment. They're now ranked #97. UC-Riverside has also risen up 36 spots into the top 100 in the last 3 years. 

Seeing these rankings always makes me wonder what weird criteria they use, or that changes from year to year, that causes changes to the rankings.  I sometimes think that social pressures cause US News to add considerations that aren't truly indicative of how good a school is.

On 9/14/2020 at 10:55 PM, Cowboy said:

-what was the highest ranking in this SLU has had? I thought 75 or so, I don't like to see the other schools passing us, especially other Catholic and Jesuit institutions 

I thought we had been in the 50s or 60s at one point.  In the 1990s, I watched the SLU recruitment video in my guidance counselors office in Chicago (Featuring Bob Costas), and I could've sworn he mentioned a higher ranking and my counselor being surprised SLU was that high.  I could be wrong.  Wouldn't be the first time.  But IT WILL be the last.

• 11 months later...
40 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

The 2022 rankings are out.  We're No. 103.  Again.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/st-louis-university-2506

Clearly USNWR is discounting the impact of Nesbitt.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 8:55 PM, Cowboy said:

Santa Clara, Loyola Marymount, and Gonzaga, along with Villanova used to be ranked in the Regional Universities category, as opposed to the National Universities category.  Yes, Santa Clara has a bevy of Silicon Valley, High Tech money.

10 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Santa Clara, Loyola Marymount, and Gonzaga, along with Villanova used to be ranked in the Regional Universities category, as opposed to the National Universities category.  Yes, Santa Clara has a bevy of Silicon Valley, High Tech money.

Don’t forget Steve Nash, either. Bronco Ball.

11 hours ago, willie said:

Not very impressive. It was almost a billion back when they sold the hospital to Tenent. 

If the SLU endowment is at $1.5b, that's a 25% increase from the $1.2b reported for 2020, which seems pretty good (if not transformational) and is consistent with an average of the S&P and Dow over the last year.

MusicCityBilliken and Zink like this