Podcast with Yuri

29 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Yuri said he has grown a little over the summer, he's a little taller.  

3.49 GPA in Sports Business after one year!!!

3.49 points better than @Reinert310’s GPA after year 1 at SLU (double secret probation!). Way to overachieve, Yuri!

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Yurimania, year 2, Catch it! 

He’s gonna go off. I can’t wait. As good as he was last year, there was definitely a feeling out phase where it took him a while to get used to the college game. But his confidence and his play got so much better as the year went on. His jumper looked better and more confident too. He’s gonna cut down on some of the silly “freahman mistake” turnovers he had last year and be in the conversation with the best point guards in the country. Book it.

4 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

He’s gonna go off. I can’t wait. As good as he was last year, there was definitely a feeling out phase where it took him a while to get used to the college game. But his confidence and his play got so much better as the year went on. His jumper looked better and more confident too. He’s gonna cut down on some of the silly “freahman mistake” turnovers he had last year and be in the conversation with the best point guards in the country. Book it.

His hand won’t be numb as well which should help

13 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

His hand won’t be numb as well which should help

It's really quite amazing he played as well as he did with two numb thumbs. Some of his assists were unreal. Yurimania 2, better catch it while you can. 

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

It's really quite amazing he played as well as he did with two numb thumbs. Some of his assists were unreal. Yurimania 2, better catch it while you can. 

I think he is a better shooter than he showed last year, possibly due to his thumb problems.  If he can hit 34-36% from beyond the arc and 70% + from the FT line that would be great for the team.  We definitely want him in the game at the end if other teams are fouling us.  Last year we had only one go-to guy at the end of games, trying to always get the ball in Perkins' hands.  If we could have JP, an improved Yuri and Gibson on the floor to close out games, no one will be able to get us from behind in the last 2-3 minutes.

43 minutes ago, bauman said:

I think he is a better shooter than he showed last year, possibly due to his thumb problems.  If he can hit 34-36% from beyond the arc and 70% + from the FT line that would be great for the team.  We definitely want him in the game at the end if other teams are fouling us.  Last year we had only one go-to guy at the end of games, trying to always get the ball in Perkins' hands.  If we could have JP, an improved Yuri and Gibson on the floor to close out games, no one will be able to get us from behind in the last 2-3 minutes.

Does it seem to anyone else like those last 5 or 6 games when we made our run last year, that Yuri hit a big 3, late in the shot clock, in almost every single one of them. I don’t Yuri will ever be a volume shooter simply because that’s just not his game. But he’s gonna make more than enough to keep teams honest do he can drive

bauman likes this

3 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Does it seem to anyone else like those last 5 or 6 games when we made our run last year, that Yuri hit a big 3, late in the shot clock, in almost every single one of them. I don’t Yuri will ever be a volume shooter simply because that’s just not his game. But he’s gonna make more than enough to keep teams honest do he can drive

I just watched that twitter video of Yurimania v UD making that prayer shot when he knew he couldn't get a pass off. The kid just makes you stand up and go crazy. Can't wait to watch this team this year. And I wouldn't discount Jimmy B being in the end of games for FT's and boards. The Locomotive was pretty good from the FT line. Let's not forget Linssen either. Not sure what his FT % was, but I'm generalizing, because he's a Euro, it probably wasn't too shabby. 

4 hours ago, slu72 said:

I just watched that twitter video of Yurimania v UD making that prayer shot when he knew he couldn't get a pass off. The kid just makes you stand up and go crazy. Can't wait to watch this team this year. And I wouldn't discount Jimmy B being in the end of games for FT's and boards. The Locomotive was pretty good from the FT line. Let's not forget Linssen either. Not sure what his FT % was, but I'm generalizing, because he's a Euro, it probably wasn't too shabby. 

Taking nothing away from Linssen. I’m very happy we got him and he very well could surprise me. But I fully expect Jimmy Bell to solidify his place as the #2 big man on this team. I don’t want to start another hypothetical “who gets however many minutes” debate, and I don’t know where the minutes will come from, but I wouldn’t be shocked at all if Jimmy Bell’s minutes are up from last year. He simply puts in the work to get better. It’s undeniable. He’s going to be a great Billiken.