NCAA exploring four potential start dates for college basketball season

Brighton

The NCAA is in the preliminary stages of considering four potential start dates for the 2020-21 men's and women's college basketball seasons, sources told CBS Sports. The NCAA provided a timeline document to conference commissioners late last week, obtained by CBS Sports, that details the review and approval process on starting the forthcoming season.

Sources said NCAA senior vice president of basketball Dan Gavitt communicated to conference commissioners late last week that the four timelines depicted below are up for discussion:

Option 1
First practices allowed: Sept. 29
First day of season: Nov. 10 (No change to start of season)

Option 2
First practices allowed: Oct. 9
First day of season: Nov. 20

Option 3
First practices allowed: Oct. 14
First day of season: Nov. 25

Option 4
First practices allowed: Oct. 24
First day of season: Dec. 4

Those dates are fated not to be the only dates discussed, but they are the initial trial balloons the NCAA is seeking feedback on.

Sources told CBS Sports the NCAA's men's basketball oversight committee and the men's basketball committee are holding separate meetings Wednesday to discuss these potential start dates, among other action items. On Thursday, Division I conference commissioners will hold a meeting to discuss the basketball season, as will the NABC. On Friday, the women's basketball committee and the Women's Basketball Coaches Association will convene and seek feedback on the recommended models as well.

The review process will include feedback on issues ranging from different start-of-season options, the latest recommended models being shared with the NCAA's COVID-19 Medical Advisory board, plus myriad logistical questions, concerns and curiosities that exist with nonconference scheduling.

A tentative meeting between the men's and women's oversight committees is scheduled for Monday, Aug. 31. It's hoped a clearer decision can be made at that meeting on a realistic start date for 2020-21. The NCAA is targeting the first week of September to settle on a model -- or models, if necessary -- to bring to the Division I Council.

A vote on the season's start date is scheduled to be made on Sept. 16 by the D-I Council. (Approval from the oversight committees for men's and women's basketball would precede the D-I Council vote.) The NCAA is also tentatively planning for an Oct. 13 and/or 14 meeting with the Division I Council to approve any necessary tweaks or changes to the schedule if enough has happened between Sept. 16 and Oct. 13 to mandate updates to college basketball's season.

"The first thing to understand is when you're going to play the tournament -- start from the end," one source said. "If you're going to try to play the tournament in March, what does that look like? How many games in the regular season? If you move it to May, more [teams] have a chance to participate, there's more equity around the board."

One conference commissioner expressed high confidence that the NCAA would do anything and everything not only to hold the NCAA Tournament in 2021, but to also keep it at its usual size of 68 teams. And many sources in recent days told CBS Sports that there is still a willingness, at this point, to try and start college basketball's season on time. Athletic directors around the country are still embracing this as an option, while many basketball coaches have, behind the scenes, long assumed this was not going to be achievable.

One source joked that putting a 1% chance on the season starting on Nov. 10 "may be high."

Another source said they would be surprised if college basketball's season ultimately doesn't start a couple of days before or after Thanksgiving. The reason being: campuses would be mostly empty, allowing for games to be held there without crowds and much less risk of coronavirus transmission.

"That has a ton of momentum," the source said.

The January-start option is still on the table, but is unlikely be seriously addressed until the fall, one source said. The NCAA, and college basketball's stakeholders, continue to diligently try and communicate without over-promising, so there are plans made four or six weeks in advance -- and not two weeks or three months.

A big factor in this timeline for the NCAA and conference commissioners and university presidents is the opening of colleges across the country in the next two weeks. How will the United States be affected with the coronavirus in this way? Multiple high-profile D-I institutions, such as North Carolina and Notre Dame, have seen immediate negative effects of COVID-19 transmission less than a week after students moved into dormitories.

"They're trying to be transparent with everyone, given the lack of a central figure and central decision making with major football," another conference commissioner told CBS Sports. "They're trying to take some of the feedback and criticism that's existed in that sport and trying to be more transparent with basketball decision-making."

One more factor to consider, per one league commissioner: the success, or lack thereof, with college football being played this fall. If it can be done, it improves college basketball's chances of starting in November.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/the-ncaa-is-currently-exploring-these-four-potential-start-dates-for-the-2020-21-college-basketball-season/

Options 1 thru 3 would all allow the Orlando Tournament to take place as scheduled.  Of course, since it is an ESPN event, it could be moved away from the Thanksgiving weekend, without impacting any "bringing crowds to Disney World" issues assuming it would be played w/o fans in attendance.

Regarding Coach Ford's comments to Frank C. on the 10;00 news last night, it was good to hear TF welcome the high pre-season predictions (CBS calling the Bills a Final Four sleeper) for the team as opposed to the normal coach-speak of downplaying high expectations.  He said something along the lines of, that's the discussion he and his players want to be a part of.

Also, he mentioned the possibility of OOC pods being used instead of the already scheduled OOC games.  It would be good if we could get at least 9 OOC games, in addition to the Orlando games.  Three long weekends against 3 other regional conferences 3 team groups would do it.  For example,  Creighton, Depaul and Butler from the B E; SIU-C, Ill. St, and Loyola from the MVC and Memphis, Tulsa and Wichita St. from the American would result in plenty of data for the Selection Committee.  One thing that seems close to certain  is that there will be a 20-21 basketball season and a NCAA tournament.  For financial reasons, D-1 schools and the NCAA organization cannot go two years w/o the revenue produced by the Dance.

And finally, thanks again to Frank for giving the Billikens more coverage than all other media put together.  It was nice to see Frank out at the Ford residence talking hoops in a feature segment of his sportscast.

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

Was/Am looking forward to Orlando. However, I wonder what the attendance situation will be. Limited w/masks and distancing? No limits on size but masks? No crowd at all? Anyone’s guess at this point. 

Given that Florida is only allowing 30% capacity  for the Dolphins and Miami U, I’m guessing that’s the % of capacity I expect until a vaccine is available and distributed. 

39 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

What percentage of the capacity of Chaifetz is made up of season ticket holders?  If it's 30% and that becomes the standard for in-person attendance, then great.  I'd sit anywhere inside Chaifetz to be able to watch this season.

I think a bit over 5,000 seats go to season ticket holders. The hard part will be how many go to students?

20 hours ago, slu72 fan said:

I think a bit over 5,000 seats go to season ticket holders. The hard part will be how many go to students?

Here's a really selfish take on that question.  I pay for my seats.  The students typically have to be bribed with pizza or t-shirts to come to the game.  I think that season ticket holders should have priority.

20 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Here's a really selfish take on that question.  I pay for my seats.  The students typically have to be bribed with pizza or t-shirts to come to the game.  I think that season ticket holders should have priority.

I understand you sentiment, but IMO a good way to kill the future of the program would be to prevent students from coming to games.  Students bring energy to the games that a vast majority of other fans do not.  Also students become new fans for life / future season ticket holders.

Technically students pay for their seats as well since they are charged an activity fee with tuition.  That total $ charged to all students probably blows away what most normal folks season ticket holders (not high rollers) contribute to the program.

SLU_Lax and drkelsey55 like this

52 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I understand you sentiment, but IMO a good way to kill the future of the program would be to prevent students from coming to games.  Students bring energy to the games that a vast majority of other fans do not.  Also students become new fans for life / future season ticket holders.

Technically students pay for their seats as well since they are charged an activity fee with tuition.  That total $ charged to all students probably blows away what most normal folks season ticket holders (not high rollers) contribute to the program.

I agree. And I totally understand @cgeldmacher’s point. I have season tickets and would love to go to games, so not calling him out at all, but how often do we complain on this board about all the empty seats in the lower bowl from season-ticket holders? Probably some company using them for a tax write off or something. Give the tickets out as gifts or whatever. I know all of us here who have season tickets would ABSOLUTELY show up to games, but I’m just not sure prioritizing season ticket holders over students is the answer. 

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

-I think students should get first crack, but no bribes to get them to attend, I would 'give' them their normal section of bleachers, any area available correctly distant from the band in that section and the seated section above their bleacher section - obviously this could be reduced if not enough interest

-the ticket allocation process will be interesting and will create great wailing on here, hope everyone that will complain is using today's Billiken Giving Day or whatever it is called to up their rank in the Billiken Club

If they end up letting people in...……..

I really don't think if you want to go to the games and are a season ticket holder, that getting into the game is going to be a problem.  Given the demographics of our season ticket holders and the general hesitancy of many to be around crowds, I don't think demand will overwhelm supply.  The Cardinals who rule this area when it comes to sports aren't even selling out the Budweiser Brewhouse Deck on a regular basis.

20 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I Dont disagree, but I do hate the chance of taking games from students who ACTUALLY not only want to go, have made a habit of going. 

Doesn't SLU keep track of which students go and how often?

22 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Yeah,  I have to agree.  How about this, students and band get their section and nothing more.  Season ticket holders get the rest of the arena.  If that puts a strain on student's getting in due to social distancing, then the Athletic Department will just have to figure out a way to make sure the most dedicated students are the ones that get in.

32 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Yeah,  I have to agree.  How about this, students and band get their section and nothing more.  Season ticket holders get the rest of the arena.  If that puts a strain on student's getting in due to social distancing, then the Athletic Department will just have to figure out a way to make sure the most dedicated students are the ones that get in.

I’m cool with that plan. But as good as we’re gonna be this year, may be a fight to get those student seats, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.