Welcome Phil Russell

meerkat

14 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I don’t think I’ve seen that video, but wow. Obviously, height is a big part of playing basketball, but if he’s 6 inches taller, he’d be a big time recruit. Quick release, unlimited range, good ball handler and passer, his floater game is next level. The amount of times he made shots after contact (often hard contact) was impressive. Very exciting time to be a Billiken fan.

I remember when we were talking about him before 3 Star ( who's opinion on recruits I highly value as I know he "goes and sees the kids play" ) cautioned that he doesn't really drive as much as the video's we'd seen make it seem and felt like he was much more of a perimeter player. I think he felt like the OVC was probably the right fit for him. Sorry and correct me if I'm wrong 3 star just going off memory. I've only seen video but I just feel he has something and will over achieve. He's certainly tough and plays with an attitude which I like. 

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I remember when we were talking about him before 3 Star ( who's opinion on recruits I highly value as I know he "goes and sees the kids play" ) cautioned that he doesn't really drive as much as the video's we'd seen make it seem and felt like he was much more of a perimeter player. I think he felt like the OVC was probably the right fit for him. Sorry and correct me if I'm wrong 3 star just going off memory. I've only seen video but I just feel he has something and will over achieve. He's certainly tough and plays with an attitude which I like. 

Yeah. It’s s whole different animal playing in the A10 versus playing in MHSAA. But definitely seems tough and smart. Knows what his game and body allows him to do and what it doesn’t. And whenever he does drive, if he can finish through contact. That’s a huge plus. We obviously have a very deep roster, so minutes will be hard to come by, but having a kid like Phil Russell on your team can only make you better.

slufanskip likes this

4 hours ago, bauman said:

In addition, you forgot our incoming FR from FLA,  Strickland, who I think could back up either JG or DJ and not that it's needed, Lorentsson could be listed as a back up to DJ at SF.  We need to keep in mind that he meets the Rick M  "180 rule."

Your initial point is especially true if you swap out Jacobs as a starter for Perkins, as Travis did all of last year.  That would give you a second starting 5 of Linssen, Perkins, Jimerson, Thatch or Hargrove, and Russell with either Fred or TJ , Strickland and Lorentsson as subs.  I like it.  We have never had a top 13 like that.

I knew I was leaving some one out. 

14 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Do walk ons redshirt?  just seems like another year of college they have to pay for

Walk-ons can redshirt, not sure how frequently they do. As a preferred walk-on who I’m guessing ends up on scholarship at some point the conversation is likely a little different than with a more typical walk-on who a coach likely wouldn’t spend any time considering the length of their eligibility.

In reply to Roy's comments about academic scholarships, one needs to remember that most schools take diversity and overcoming economic and social hardship into account when awarding academic scholarships.  It isn't simply a question of numbers (i.e., gpa and SAT/ACT scores).  And yes, that is legal, particularly if you are a private school.  I don't know his ACT or SAT score (and don't want to, that's his private information), but his gpa is impressive when one factors into it everything he has done and overcome.  He should be congratulated on having the ability to pull that off with everything else he does and has had to deal with.  No doubt the NCAA scrutinizes walk-on scholarships carefully, as they should, but just because he is a walk-on on the basketball team, he should not be held to a different standard than any other diversity student when comes to being considered for academic scholarships.  Whether he received an academic scholarship or not, I applaud his academic achievements to date and wish him the best as a Billiken - on and off the court.

SLU_Nick, drkelsey55 and Zink like this

56 minutes ago, Wendelprof said:

In reply to Roy's comments about academic scholarships, one needs to remember that most schools take diversity and overcoming economic and social hardship into account when awarding academic scholarships.  It isn't simply a question of numbers (i.e., gpa and SAT/ACT scores).  And yes, that is legal, particularly if you are a private school.  I don't know his ACT or SAT score (and don't want to, that's his private information), but his gpa is impressive when one factors into it everything he has done and overcome.  He should be congratulated on having the ability to pull that off with everything else he does and has had to deal with.  No doubt the NCAA scrutinizes walk-on scholarships carefully, as they should, but just because he is a walk-on on the basketball team, he should not be held to a different standard than any other diversity student when comes to being considered for academic scholarships.  Whether he received an academic scholarship or not, I applaud his academic achievements to date and wish him the best as a Billiken - on and off the court.

This. He is just the kind of student colleges across the country are clamoring for. SLU gladly accepted the Pell Grant money, which could be a nice chunk of change, and wrote off the rest. Knowing he would be going on a basketball scholarship next year made the decision even easier. Waiting to hear what the government was in for may have been the hold up on him committing.

Typically billiken off-season news is some new “situation” or news of an injury or a transfer... not this year! Nothing but awesome this year. Deepest roster of all time...It figures the season would be in doubt. Its hard freakin work being a billiken fan. 

13 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

This was an important paragraph from the article

"Very little is known or is being made known about exactly how Phillip will be attending SLU. While it is not precisely essential or relevant to the personal financial situation of how a young person can attend university, It can be assumed some sort of academic scholarship is being made available to him. In that instance, I am told that Athletic Director Chris May and Senior Associate Director of Athletics Dr. Janet Oberle were directly involved with ensuring every part of the recruitment was above board."

Roy is right, that you can't just hand out full-ride academic scholarships to guys that play basketball so there were/are some very specific rules that have to be followed in these things.

HoosierPal likes this

3 minutes ago, VeniceMenace said:

John Redden was a walk-on. Helped deliver a big-time butt kicking to No. 1 Cincy, A10 tourney title and NCAA birth. Get ‘r done, PR!

Phil Hunt is another undersized local Phil who began as a walk-on and had a scholarship for his final two seasons. He played 11.1 MPG as a senior and was part of some key moments.

MusicCityBilliken and NH like this

On 8/11/2020 at 11:39 PM, bauman said:

Size and skill wise, he looks like a Tay Weaver clone.  56% plus from beyond the arc is pretty incredible, although I'm not sure about the difference in the high school and college 3 pt distance.  No matter how much difference there is in the 3 pt arc,  I would be thrilled with even a high 40% number at SLU.  If he can shoot high 70% and above from the FT line, that would be a real bonus at the end of games.

He has a nice, clean jump shot from watching those highlight videos. Quick and compact. I'm into it. 

• 3 weeks later...