Welcome Phil Russell

meerkat

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, ACE said:

Russell is on radio with Frank and Rammer now. Just said he's gonna work on recruiting Nesbitt and Kern! Like this kid already.

The Post write-up on Russell being first team all-state mentioned him being the unquestioned leader for Vashon. He’s the exact type of kid we want to have on our team. Awesome!

45 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

To be completely fair, he totally posterized that trash can. The trash can’s basketball career will forever be defined by that video clip. I honestly kinda just feel bad for the trash can. It deserved better.

We can't talk about this without showing it.

dlarry and Compton like this

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

Russell is on radio with Frank and Rammer now. Just said he's gonna work on recruiting Nesbitt and Kern! Like this kid already.

now that's a great reason to get him as a billiken walkon!!  

45 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

To be completely fair, he totally posterized that trash can. The trash can’s basketball career will forever be defined by that video clip. I honestly kinda just feel bad for the trash can. It deserved better.

Just now, Box and Won said:

Lol. The trash can got in good position. Just tried to take the charge instead of jumping to block the dunk. Hindsight is 20/20.

Welcome Mr. Russell to team Blue, what a pleasant surprise and blessing to have you on the team.

19 minutes ago, ACE said:

I guarantee you Russell would not be on local media being interviewed if he was announcing he was going to any other school (except by the Columbia Post if he was going to the Zoo).

Good work, Frank and Rammer.

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Russell hit 81% from the line.  It appears Coach Tate was the key to landing Russell.  Russell says he could beat Coach Ford in 'horse'. 

Lorentsson still not in town.  Rammer: "The government in Sweden doesn't understand how important NCAA basketball is."  "Somehow he's not at the front of the line.  I think diplomatic relations will suffer." 

Russell had a 3.5 GPA at Vashon. He knows and has played pick up with French, Goodwin, and Collins,

Zink, CBFan and wgstl like this

I wouldn't be shocked if Russell was told he will be on scholarship if Lorentsson can't make it over.  And if Lorentsson does make it over, Russell will get one of the three scholarships next season.  And I'd be ok with that... Russell, Nesbitt, Kern would be a great "recruiting class" for next season.

24 minutes ago, DOC said:

This is a great get. I’d be shocked if he is paying a penny to go to SLU. 

if you are talking grants or some sort of justifiable in need assistance, i agree.   but i know for a fact that the ncaa will not allow an "academic" scholarship if the student athlete in question does not have the academic and citizenship attributes of any other saint louis university student that is getting financial assistance for academic purposes.  basically it cannot be some sort of disguised athletic scholarship.   and for any of you that has had a child try to get slu academic assistance that isnt need based you know slu doesnt give out scholarships in plenty.   i personally have been through iy with my kids.  so as an example, if my daughter, who was an illinois state scholar, valedictorian of her high school class, all honors coursed never anything below an A in grades and a 33 on her ACT cant get a full academic scholarship, i have to believe that most basketball players arent going to get an academic slu scholarship either.   

now there may be private scholarship's out there from corporations or foundations that a student may qualify for, however most of those are set up for much smaller amounts as assistance more than full scholarships.  and again, normally those that do give larger or even full amounts, have justifiable academic requirements and minimums that will be vetted by the ncaa accordingly.  

the ncaa has to do this.   if not the likes of calipari would be stashing kids on "academic" scholarships all the time.   they would have rosters twice the size of most schools.  i cant even imagine the issues with football teams with the numbers concerned.  

everything that slu basketball does to get a student in the school for the sports programs, beyond the normal ncaa mandated limited rosters all comes down to the student athlete in question being able to justify the money if they were not an athlete.   if slu can, it's fine.   if not, no dice.     

dennis_w likes this

31 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

if you are talking grants or some sort of justifiable in need assistance, i agree.   but i know for a fact that the ncaa will not allow an "academic" scholarship if the student athlete in question does not have the academic and citizenship attributes of any other saint louis university student that is getting financial assistance for academic purposes.  basically it cannot be some sort of disguised athletic scholarship.   and for any of you that has had a child try to get slu academic assistance that isnt need based you know slu doesnt give out scholarships in plenty.   i personally have been through iy with my kids.  so as an example, if my daughter, who was an illinois state scholar, valedictorian of her high school class, all honors coursed never anything below an A in grades and a 33 on her ACT cant get a full academic scholarship, i have to believe that most basketball players arent going to get an academic slu scholarship either.   

now there may be private scholarship's out there from corporations or foundations that a student may qualify for, however most of those are set up for much smaller amounts as assistance more than full scholarships.  and again, normally those that do give larger or even full amounts, have justifiable academic requirements and minimums that will be vetted by the ncaa accordingly.  

the ncaa has to do this.   if not the likes of calipari would be stashing kids on "academic" scholarships all the time.   they would have rosters twice the size of most schools.  i cant even imagine the issues with football teams with the numbers concerned.  

everything that slu basketball does to get a student in the school for the sports programs, beyond the normal ncaa mandated limited rosters all comes down to the student athlete in question being able to justify the money if they were not an athlete.   if slu can, it's fine.   if not, no dice.     

I would refer back to your first sentence for your answer. The rest of it we are all well aware of. 

I think this has been posted before but it's a really nice highlight video. The step back 3 at the buzzer at about the 6:18 mark is nice. He has nice form, a quick release, and finishes with either hand. I can't help but feel this kid is going to surprise people. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Phillip+Russell+basketball&qpvt=Phillip+Russell+basketball&view=detail&mid=FDAC8ADC0D24739003E8FDAC8ADC0D24739003E8&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DPhillip%2BRussell%2Bbasketball%26qpvt%3DPhillip%2BRussell%2Bbasketball%26FORM%3DVDRE

31 minutes ago, DOC said:

I would refer back to your first sentence for your answer. The rest of it we are all well aware of. 

i would doubt slu gives out a lot of $56,000+ grants in need though as well.  most would be supplements.  remember, it has to be consistent with whatever a non athletic student might get.   if he is the only one getting $56,000 in grants, probably not going to be looked good upon by the ncaa.  

16 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I think this has been posted before but it's a really nice highlight video. The step back 3 at the buzzer at about the 6:18 mark is nice. He has nice form, a quick release, and finishes with either hand. I can't help but feel this kid is going to surprise people. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Phillip+Russell+basketball&qpvt=Phillip+Russell+basketball&view=detail&mid=FDAC8ADC0D24739003E8FDAC8ADC0D24739003E8&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DPhillip%2BRussell%2Bbasketball%26qpvt%3DPhillip%2BRussell%2Bbasketball%26FORM%3DVDRE

I don’t think I’ve seen that video, but wow. Obviously, height is a big part of playing basketball, but if he’s 6 inches taller, he’d be a big time recruit. Quick release, unlimited range, good ball handler and passer, his floater game is next level. The amount of times he made shots after contact (often hard contact) was impressive. Very exciting time to be a Billiken fan.

19 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

He makes a ridiculous amount of and 1 Threes

Just now, BuiltFordBills said:

He makes a ridiculous amount of and 1 Threes

Yeah, his body control through contact is crazy. He’s the type of kid who realizes he’s always gonna be the smallest kid on the court and uses it as a weapon instead of a weakness.