Welcome Phil Russell

meerkat

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

not true.   maybe it never got reported, but i can assure you he was all about slu until gordon verballed and committed.  

Reed went out of his way to post on social media about the game, was never reported either.   From everything Ive heard about EJ, playing for a big school in a big conference was a major deal for him, thats why he looked at mizzou as closely as he did in the first place.  

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, wgstl said:

cant say that for sure.  BUT,  he has touched on the UD SLU game being nuts and talked highly of the crowd and such.

That's good.  Hopefully we can get him to a number of Bills games this year.  Unfortunately, due to COVID we may not be able to show him what a full house of SLU fans looks and sounds like.

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Reed went out of his way to post on social media about the game, was never reported either.   From everything Ive heard about EJ, playing for a big school in a big conference was a major deal for him, thats why he looked at mizzou as closely as he did in the first place.  

he looked at mi$$ouri because his father told him too as dad and martin were childhood friends.   he had no interest and mom finally interceded on his behalf to take that pressure off.   by the time the mi$$ouri part of liddell came up, gordon was already signed and we were indeed out of the picture by then.  imo, after gordon became a billiken and dad's push for his childhood friend was over, it was all ohio state.   it pained me to watch ohio state under use him last year knowing how good he would have been in billiken blue and heir apparent to french.   but all under the bridge now and i am sure okoro will more than fill the bill.   

almaman likes this

Phillip Russell is an outstanding get as a walk-on. He's a good all-around PG, excellent shooter, he's smart, tough, and poised, and he'll be a great practice matchup for YC.

With all the requisite caveats about this season, I think this is our deepest roster ever.

Compton, meerkat, bauman and 1 other like this

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

he looked at mi$$ouri because his father told him too as dad and martin were childhood friends.   he had no interest and mom finally interceded on his behalf to take that pressure off.   by the time the mi$$ouri part of liddell came up, gordon was already signed and we were indeed out of the picture by then.  imo, after gordon became a billiken and dad's push for his childhood friend was over, it was all ohio state.   it pained me to watch ohio state under use him last year knowing how good he would have been in billiken blue and heir apparent to french.   but all under the bridge now and i am sure okoro will more than fill the bill.   

Wasnt he playing a lot down the stretch last year?

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Just our of curiosity, does that jet have the Billiken Logo on it's tail? If so, that's kind of cool. Is the plane owned by SLU/Parks? 

no it does not. Nor is it owed by SLU.  Its too easy to get jets now theres no point in owning. 

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Phillip Russell is an outstanding get as a walk-on. He's a good all-around PG, excellent shooter, he's smart, tough, and poised, and he'll be a great practice matchup for YC.

With all the requisite caveats about this season, I think this is our deepest roster ever.

We have players covered at every position. Granted, the backups may not have the skills of those they''d have to fill in for, but they are more than adequate. I've said it before if you took the 7 players that aren't starters, they'd likely finish as a top 6 team in the A10. 

JGood backed up by Fred, Jacobs, Hargrove, Jimerson

Yuri backed up by Jacobs,  Russell, or JGood

French backed up by Linssen and possibly Lorentsson

Bell backed up by Linssen or Has

Davonte backed up by Jimerson, Hargrove, Fred, Jacobs

This kind of depth will be a  huge factor considering the Covid virus could strike a player at any time that requires he be quarantined for 2 weeks. I can't recall us ever having this kind of an insurance policy. 

Pistol likes this

19 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I believe someone pointed out he was a good defender too 

Pistol likes this

26 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Oh how times have changed.

We have gone from giving scholarships to guys who jump over trash cans  and guys who shoot 4 footers over the backboard to having legit D1 PGs walk on. 

This team is absolutely loaded!

To be completely fair, he totally posterized that trash can. The trash can’s basketball career will forever be defined by that video clip. I honestly kinda just feel bad for the trash can. It deserved better.

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

-getting Russell is really quite amazing, hope he is getting assistance on tuition and can use all of what SLU has to offer academically, socially and athletically 

-hope Russell has a great experience that helps us with his former teammates 

-we have a lot of stupid stuff on this site, I have contributed to that, with that said is anyone going to argue the other side of this is our deepest roster? I don't see how the other side can be seriously argued but would read it if proposed

Just from watching his video, I'd bet Russell would have been an average recruit many years at SLU. I just have a gut feeling he is going to over achieve and get decent minutes over his career at SLU. 

Welcome aboard Phil. Glad to have you

47 minutes ago, slu72 said:

We have players covered at every position. Granted, the backups may not have the skills of those they''d have to fill in for, but they are more than adequate. I've said it before if you took the 7 players that aren't starters, they'd likely finish as a top 6 team in the A10. 

JGood backed up by Fred, Jacobs, Hargrove, Jimerson

Yuri backed up by Jacobs,  Russell, or JGood

French backed up by Linssen and possibly Lorentsson

Bell backed up by Linssen or Has

Davonte backed up by Jimerson, Hargrove, Fred, Jacobs

This kind of depth will be a  huge factor considering the Covid virus could strike a player at any time that requires he be quarantined for 2 weeks. I can't recall us ever having this kind of an insurance policy. 

In addition, you forgot our incoming FR from FLA,  Strickland, who I think could back up either JG or DJ and not that it's needed, Lorentsson could be listed as a back up to DJ at SF.  We need to keep in mind that he meets the Rick M  "180 rule."

Your initial point is especially true if you swap out Jacobs as a starter for Perkins, as Travis did all of last year.  That would give you a second starting 5 of Linssen, Perkins, Jimerson, Thatch or Hargrove, and Russell with either Fred or TJ , Strickland and Lorentsson as subs.  I like it.  We have never had a top 13 like that.

2 minutes ago, bauman said:

In addition, you forgot our incoming FR from FLA,  Strickland, who I think could back up either JG or DJ and not that it's needed, Lorentsson could be listed as a back up to DJ at SF.  We need to keep in mind that he meets the Rick M  "180 rule."

I’m excited to see what Strickland can do. Watching his workout videos, it looks like he can jump through the roof and has a decent jumper. I believe the one knock against him has been his motor. Giving effort on every play. He can’t be lazy on this roster, or he won’t play. If he starts showing max effort, he’s gonna be a lot of fun to watch.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

59 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Wasnt he playing a lot down the stretch last year?

less than half the game unless one of the two brothers were in foul trouble.   his stats started to improve down the stretch because he started going to the basket instead of passing out.   

3 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

less than half the game unless one of the two brothers were in foul trouble.   his stats started to improve down the stretch because he started going to the basket instead of passing out.   

Roy, time to move on and stop posting about EJ.  At this point, I couldn't care less about him.

12 minutes ago, bauman said:

Roy, time to move on and stop posting about EJ.  At this point, I couldn't care less about him.

i didnt bring his name up and then i only responded to another poster.   i suggest you quit reading my posts.   obviously you have a hardon for me because i quit reading your posts that reference initials.  

Crewsorlose and dennis_w like this