Welcome Phil Russell

meerkat

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

If you want to be a big program, act like one. He has a full ride academic scholarship.

Do you know this for a fact or are you just assuming. I don't know what his academic situation is but he can't get any sort of academic scholarship he wouldn't have qualified for as a regular student. At least that's my understanding.

1 hour ago, johnbj14 said:

SLU got a really good shooter as a walk on. Local kids absolutely begging to play for Travis Ford. Only the beginning of things to come. Could not be more excited!

Pretty good player for a walk on. Clearly a D1 level player

Size and skill wise, he looks like a Tay Weaver clone.  56% plus from beyond the arc is pretty incredible, although I'm not sure about the difference in the high school and college 3 pt distance.  No matter how much difference there is in the 3 pt arc,  I would be thrilled with even a high 40% number at SLU.  If he can shoot high 70% and above from the FT line, that would be a real bonus at the end of games.

17 minutes ago, bauman said:

Size and skill wise, he looks like a Tay Weaver clone.  56% plus from beyond the arc is pretty incredible, although I'm not sure about the difference in the high school and college 3 pt distance.  No matter how much difference there is in the 3 pt arc,  I would be thrilled with even a high 40% number at SLU.  If he can shoot high 70% and above from the FT line, that would be a real bonus at the end of games.

I'd be thrilled with high 30's and ecstatic if he shoots over 40% from 3 for his SLU career?

I distinctly remember looking over at the bench one game and seeing Cam Fletcher in the section behind the bench and telling my wife that a stud local kid committed to Kentucky is at the game and then I looked a few rows up and was like and his teammate who is committed to SEMO. Keep those irons in the fire! Welcome aboard Phillip!

Really quality player to have walking-on, hopefully a scholarship opens up for him down the road (not this season as I want the full boat!). I’m not currently looking at our roster, but this will be good for Yuri to practice against every day.

My understanding was he was kind of between going the prep route or walking-on. Without summer basketball (I think some post grad dudes play EYBL, but maybe that is based on age), recruiting kind of shut down, and questions about basketball seasons happening or how they will look, the SLU option likely became much more attractive.

Pistol, Zink and BilliesBy40 like this

Agree with @TheChosenOne completely in terms of how it came together.

FWIW, here's the recruiting bio I had up for him:

Phillip Russell - PG, 5-10, 165 - St. Louis, MO (Vashon) - AAU: Brad Beal Elite (Nike EYBL) - Twitter: @phill_x2 - Committed: Southeast Missouri (9/3/19) - Decommitted: Southeast Missouri (3/10/20) - Committed: Saint Louis (8/11/20)
Offers: Valparaiso, Southeast Missouri, Milwaukee, Kansas City.

Interest: Saint Louis, Kansas State, Temple, Tulsa, SIU-Carbondale, Missouri State, Evansville, Murray State, Belmont, SIU-Edwardsville, Southern Miss, Ohio, Kent State, Central Michigan, Northern Kentucky, Georgia State, Appalachian State, Louisiana-Monroe, McNeese State, South Dakota State.

Latest News: Russell will join SLU as a walk-on. (8/11/20)

Scouting Report: Russell is a small facilitator with high-level shooting ability. He has range and the ability to really heat up, and is comfortable shooting off the catch or the dribble. He's an excellent ball handler and quick on and off the ball. He reads ball screens well and is a strong defender. He's a leader who plays with smarts, toughness, and poise.

Nice to get an Irons product.  Next from the local powerhouse-------------Nick Kern?  Plus, I hear there is a pretty good local kid who plays at St Louis Christian Academy.

Go get 'em, Corey and Travis.  Let's continue building a SLU top-level  program with lots of St. Louis area kids and a high national (or international) recruit every year or two.

Pack the Fetz!

5 minutes ago, bauman said:

Nice to get an Irons product.  Next from the local powerhouse-------------Nick Kern?  Plus, I hear there is a pretty good local kid who plays at St Louis Christian Academy.

Go get 'em, Corey and Travis.  Let's continue building a SLU top-level  program with lots of St. Louis area kids and a high national (or international) recruit every year or two.

Pack the Fetz!

To add on - is Tarris Reed a junior or senior this year?

saw on Twitter that tarris Reed got an ohio state offer.   grrrrrrr.  getting tired of ohio state taking my favorite players.   hope ford keeps reed home.

6 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

saw on Twitter that tarris Reed got an ohio state offer.   grrrrrrr.  getting tired of ohio state taking my favorite players.   hope ford keeps reed home.

along with The Legend Jr.

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

At least Reed has shown love towards SLU.  never got that from EJ

Just now, bauman said:

Has Reed been to a number of Bills games? 

cant say that for sure.  BUT,  he has touched on the UD SLU game being nuts and talked highly of the crowd and such.

28 minutes ago, wgstl said:

At least Reed has shown love towards SLU.  never got that from EJ

not true.   maybe it never got reported, but i can assure you he was all about slu until gordon verballed and committed.