Jon Rothstein's Top 45

Taj79

12 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Am I the only one who noticed Lorentsson isn’t mentioned at all?

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

None of Rothstein's projected benches have more than 7 people, no matter how many players are on the roster.  Most of them have 6.

Thanks 3star. I wasn’t necessarily suggesting it meant anything ominous, but he isn’t in the key newcomers either. Could be Rothstein just doesn’t know much about Lorentsson, coming out of Sweden. Just thought it was interesting.

21 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

Thanks 3star. I wasn’t necessarily suggesting it meant anything ominous, but he isn’t in the key newcomers either. Could be Rothstein just doesn’t know much about Lorentsson, coming out of Sweden. Just thought it was interesting.

Could be.  But even so, I wouldn't consider a freshman who hasn't been here this summer a key newcomer.

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Could be.  But even so, I wouldn't consider a freshman who hasn't been here this summer a key newcomer.

True. Anybody have any info on his visa status? Maybe there isn’t any. Just curious if anybody has heard anything.

You're not going to get a more favorable preview than this:
https://collegehoopstoday.com/index.php/rothstein-files/atlantic-10-preseason-preview/

3. Is Saint Louis being underrated nationally?

It certainly feels that way. The Billikens were one of the hottest teams in America at the end of last season and were set to take a five-game winning streak into the Atlantic 10 Tournament in Brooklyn before it was cancelled. Everyone is back for the Billikens, headlined by the troika of Jordan Goodwin, Hasahn French, and Javonte Perkins, a burgeoning star who averaged 18.2 points during conference play. Gibson Jimerson and Fred Thatch — two starting caliber players who only combined to play 16 games last season due to injuries — are also back. The 6-5 Jimerson shot 42.9 percent from three-point range last year in 10 games as a freshman and should immediately improve Saint Louis’ offensive spacing. Remember: Travis Ford’s team won 23 games last season, highlighted by two close losses by a combined eight points to Dayton. One of those defeats came on a last second shot by Jalen Crutcher at Chaifetz Arena. The Billikens have all the requisites to be the best non-power conference team in college basketball next season.

All MBM cut and paste this projection to show the grim reaper if he visits for an automatic stay of execution. As the accolades pile up chances of a normal season seem to slowly dissipate. The way to being a Billiken fan has always been well lit. We're fckd I fear.

For something to talk about, here is Rothstein's A10 rankings from the referenced article.  Similar to everyone else's, with Rhody maybe a slot too high and UMass maybe a slot too low.

Atlantic 10 Preseason Power Rankings

1. Saint Louis

2. Richmond

3. Dayton

4. St. Bonaventure

5. Duquesne

6. Rhode Island

7. Davidson

8. UMass

9. George Mason

10. VCU

11. George Washington

12. La Salle

13. Saint Joseph’s

14. Fordham

One thing he’s right about is if we don’t get those non con games, the road becomes very narrow and we can’t have any hiccups playing only conf games. Our OOC was looking really favorable for us, and we’re playing on thinner ice without them. 
The top 5-6 teams in the conf will all be tough games. 

1 hour ago, almaman said:

All MBM cut and paste this projection to show the grim reaper if he visits for an automatic stay of execution. As the accolades pile up chances of a normal season seem to slowly dissipate. The way to being a Billiken fan has always been well lit. We're fckd I fear.

Can you please fearmonger in the COVID thread ? Good grief.

55 minutes ago, slu72 said:

One thing he’s right about is if we don’t get those non con games, the road becomes very narrow and we can’t have any hiccups playing only conf games. Our OOC was looking really favorable for us, and we’re playing on thinner ice without them. 

The Mt West Challenge to me is the first one that will be looked at. Flying teams across country for some rather obscure games may be questioned. (Air Force at St Joe, Duquesne at Wyoming). Any team flying into CA (George Mason @ Fresno State) would do so at their own risk. 

58 minutes ago, slu72 said:

This is true, and increasingly likely to be reality. I also think it’s entirely possible the NCAA would expand the tournament field if things have returned to normal by early next year. They have been exploring the idea for years, and this would provide the perfect rationale for doing so.