2020-21 Season

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'm confused.  We win our only game on the books last week and go from something like 64 votes to 49 votes.

Eye test.  62-46 W against UMKC isn't very attractive.  LSU had votes last week too, went 2-0 and dropped their only votes because it wasn't flashy.

This is gonna be what we see in the A10.  The wins wont do it alone, we'll need to cover spreads and collect blowouts. 

RUBillsFan likes this

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'm confused.  We win our only game on the books last week and go from something like 64 votes to 49 votes.

Teams behind us that beat top 25 teams will automatically leapfrog us in weeks where we beat bottom feeders.     That goes for the polls and more importantly, the NET rankings.  And there are a lot of bottom feeders in the current version of the A10.  That's why talk of losing 3 games in conference and still securing a 6 seed doesn't add up mathematically.  We're not a 6 seed now and we have the best two wins we'll have all year.  We needed Richmond to hold up their end of the bargain but they stumbled against Hofstra.

I just want us to finish first in the conference.  Seeding will take care of itself.  We need a favorable draw come tournament time and then let the chips fall where they may.

CBFan and BilliesBy40 like this

29 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

And add that our 1 loss beat the #3 team in the country and a team we beat beat a team generally ranked 15-20. 

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Teams behind us that beat top 25 teams will automatically leapfrog us in weeks where we beat bottom feeders. 

If only that explained all the leapfrogging. Colorado and Arkansas passed us and neither have beaten anyone who is any good - either in the last week or all season. Their votes/rankings ahead of us are just good old fashioned P6 bias. 

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

It was speculated by a few of us last week that because our loss came late on a Sunday, a few voters may have already turned in their votes prior to the loss or didn't properly factor it in. I think this may be a bit of a catch-up in the rankings from a surprisingly high 27 that we got last week.

2010andBeyond likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Teams behind us that beat top 25 teams will automatically leapfrog us in weeks where we beat bottom feeders.     That goes for the polls and more importantly, the NET rankings.  And there are a lot of bottom feeders in the current version of the A10.  That's why talk of losing 3 games in conference and still securing a 6 seed doesn't add up mathematically.  We're not a 6 seed now and we have the best two wins we'll have all year.  We needed Richmond to hold up their end of the bargain but they stumbled against Hofstra.

I just want us to finish first in the conference.  Seeding will take care of itself.  We need a favorable draw come tournament time and then let the chips fall where they may.

I agree with your closing paragraph, but I'd argue that road games at Richmond, Dayton, and VCU have potential to be better (or just as good) wins than our home Ws over LSU and NC State.  Depends on how you weight home court advantage given COVID.  I think HCA still plays a pretty big role even without the crowd.  This article estimates HCA is about 60% of what it had been in the past: https://theathletic.com/2268722/2020/12/18/college-basketball-home-court-advantage-covid-no-fans-kenpom/.

imo we are no longer playing as fast and furious as we were to start the season.   maybe it is because we are playing tougher teams.  maybe it is because we are using a shorter rotation.  regardless, appearing impressive comes with the big scores imo.  i dont agree with this roster of limiting the players playing significant minutes.   imo we are deep enough to play 10 players -- at least.   we play 7-8 players now.   yes no doubt collins, french perkins and goodwin are going to play more minutes.  i understand.

but if we demand balls to the wall fire and brimstone efforts, it makes the jimmmerson jacobs, hargrove strickland, linsen and bell minutes that much more needed.   

9 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

And maybe more confusing, Mizzou barely eeks out a one point win at home over low level competition in their only game and gains 120 votes and rises two positions.

At least Colorado got exposed by Arizona tonight. So they should drop back behind us. 

31 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Glad to see that they’ve recognized this and Javonte is making adjustments. I’m definitely not the most technical expert when it comes to basketball but I did think this was a factor in some of his recent struggles. 

I might just be thinking this, but it feels that in the last 2 games, its just been the 1st half of games in which Perkins cant get going. 

unless there is no chance to earn a paycheck playing basketball he should go.   Never know when that career ending injury is coming.   

Littlebill likes this

54 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Fwiw Someone asked Goodwin on IG if he would use his extra year of eligibility next year, he responded with “no chance, this is my last year”.

With how much it seems that he’s improved his jump shot, I’m not surprised at all. I’m happy for him and hope that he kills it wherever he ends up after this season

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Couldn’t get the PD article on JGood and Has but looks like they are gone after this year. Can’t blame them since the $$$’s will be too attractive. But did it say anything about Perkins? 

No.  Perkins doesn't really do social media so Stu would have to contact him directly.  I always assumed he was the only senior whose decision was up in the air.  Goodwin and French put their names in the draft last year and got feedback from scouts. They clearly have a sense of urgency.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

No.  Perkins doesn't really do social media so Stu would have to contact him directly.  I always assumed he was the only senior whose decision was up in the air.  Goodwin and French put their names in the draft last year and got feedback from scouts. They clearly have a sense of urgency.

Perkins may also be thinking he needs a little more seasoning and next year to be THE MAN at SLU. 

On 12/20/2020 at 5:49 PM, Taj79 said:

Wiz ----love to see what you have, right now, in aside by side comparison of VCU and Richmond.  I have an eye test that says VCU can't shoot well and is extremely undisciplined whereas Richmond is the complete opposite.  Plus Richmond is older and much more headier than the youthful an emotional VCU.  These things may be unmeasurable in your computer analytics however.

Whether they can be expressed in numbers and analytics or not, these observations are valid.