2020-21 Season

I'm an eternal optimist and I think we are going to find one, maybe two more non-con games against good opponents. We just need to be johnny on the spot when some of these cancellations happen and be willing to go just about anywhere within reason. There is the complicating factor of getting out of existing games on the schedule but why couldn't we play a game this coming Thursday or Thursday, Dec 10 if someone had an opening? If one of our buy-game opponents has to cancel because of COVID on their end, send out a tweet that we'll take any comers. Not everyone is afraid of us like ND and that school 90 minutes to the west. 

slufanskip likes this

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I'm an eternal optimist and I think we are going to find one, maybe two more non-con games against good opponents. We just need to be johnny on the spot when some of these cancellations happen and be willing to go just about anywhere within reason. There is the complicating factor of getting out of existing games on the schedule but why couldn't we play a game this coming Thursday or Thursday, Dec 10 if someone had an opening? If one of our buy-game opponents has to cancel because of COVID on their end, send out a tweet that we'll take any comers. Not everyone is afraid of us like ND and that school 90 minutes to the west. 

That’s pretty much what Coach said yesterday on KMOX. They are looking to add a game this week if possible. I see no reason we couldn’t play Friday and then A-PB on Saturday. 

drkelsey55 likes this

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

That’s pretty much what Coach said yesterday on KMOX. They are looking to add a game this week if possible. I see no reason we couldn’t play Friday and then A-PB on Saturday. 

we got the time coach give us something to watch. let's go over to Edwardsville for a rematch. Just send the bench.

Not sure where to put this one but..

Watching Caleb Love and UNC play UNLV in the “Maui Invitational” right now and man, I’d give just about anything for us to get the invite in the near future. Looks like 2021’s field is set but not sure how COVID affects future tournaments if at all. Perhaps we can replace Notre Dame next year since they’re a bunch of pansies. 

Also got me wondering, has SLU been rumored to play in any tourneys next season or is it too far off still? Announcing the 2021 Maui Invitational field in May of 2020 seemed a little aggressive.   Seem to recall the Orlando classic being announced around this time last year but probably not remembering this correctly. 

19 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Watching Caleb Love and UNC play UNLV in the “Maui Invitational” right now and man, I’d give just about anything for us to get the invite in the near future. Looks like 2021’s field is set but not sure how COVID affects future tournaments if at all. Perhaps we can replace Notre Dame next year since they’re a bunch of pansies. 

Also got me wondering, has SLU been rumored to play in any tourneys next season or is it too far off still? Announcing the 2021 Maui Invitational field in May of 2020 seemed a little aggressive.   Seem to recall the Orlando classic being announced around this time last year but probably not remembering this correctly. 

nm

20 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I’m hoping for either the Charleston or Myrtle Beach Classic. Both always get very good fields. Also, I think we’re due for a foreign trip, but that will definitely depend on the plague. 

9 minutes ago, ARon said:

FWIW - ESPN+ currently has both Ark-Pine Bluff and Central Arkansas listed as 11:05 starts.

Is that just their default start time? Didn’t they initially list the SLU vs LSU game at 11? I haven’t been looking closely at the schedules of other teams but an 11am start on Tuesday seems odd. 

wgstl likes this

Apologies if someone else already posted this

Pretty cool / good deal IMO for $40 (today only/ $50 tomorrow) to get your own cardboard cutout in the seats at Chaifetz this season plus get it signed by Coach Ford & returned at the end of the season.

I already bought one of these for my dad for Christmas - hopefully he doesn't see it before then on TV LOL.

If someone doesn't order one of these for John Stamos, I'll be very upset.

Also would be pretty cool to get a bunch of St. Louis celebrities in the stands (Cardinals players, Blues players, Nelly, Andy Cohen, etc.) and also former Billiken greats (Bonner, Jett, Hughes, Claggs, etc.)

36 minutes ago, Brighton said:

You gotta laugh sometimes.

I think it is too early to worry about KenPom’s rankings. The numbers aren’t that meaningful until we get a bigger sample size from this season. My guess is those sorts of discrepancies come out in the wash. 

RUBillsFan likes this

9 hours ago, brianstl said:

So LSU beats Southeast Louisiana by 53 and moves seven spots ahead of the the Billikens in KenPom’s ratings.🤔  They were one behind us heading into the game.

I thought it was really funny that SLU and LSU played(same letters), then LSU played a different SLU next. 

7 hours ago, NH said:

I think it is too early to worry about KenPom’s rankings. The numbers aren’t that meaningful until we get a bigger sample size from this season. My guess is those sorts of discrepancies come out in the wash. 

Correct. I believe someone pointed out that the T-rank is better at judging teams early, while kenpom needs more time

8 hours ago, NH said:

55 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Correct. I believe someone pointed out that the T-rank is better at judging teams early, while kenpom needs more time

I get the sample size is small at this point, but I just find it weird that it seems like the predictive data Pomeroy used going into the season for LSU gained more value after an additional game for LSU instead of less.  SLU and LSU have had a head to head match up and share a common opponent.  

18 hours ago, wgstl said:

Texas is actually a pretty good team, did not look like it today.  But Id still feel confident playing Texas anywhere. Davidson also looked better than I thought they would. 

I’d take that TX kid Kai Jones in a heartbeat. Ramey wouldn’t be bad either. You think about the St. L kids that have left in the last 2-3 years and you have an NCAA champs dynasty. Ramey, Love, Liddell, Fletcher, et al. Wow! But even so, I love what Travis has assembled and we will be a force come March, and, maybe a run will convince some locals to stay home. No doubt the metro area is a hot bed of some serious talent. 

16 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I get the sample size is small at this point, but I just find it weird that it seems like the predictive data Pomeroy used going into the season for LSU gained more value after an additional game for LSU instead of less.  SLU and LSU have had a head to head match up and share a common opponent.  

what gets me is Kenpom even says returning experience is the most important stat it considers early in the season....so

brianstl likes this