2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Still have the souvenir cup from Chaifetz with these 5 on it. That was the best overall recruiting class I have ever seen at SLU. 

I'd agree with that as of now, but Yuri, Bell, TJ, Perkins, and Jimerson may have something to say about that before their careers are over. 

Though only 2 star players Claggs and Highmark were pretty good as were Lisch and Liddell

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

This season is going to make us appreciate being able to go to games, if we are able to.  If any of us get a call from the Athletic Department about getting the chance to go to a game, it will be like Christmas morning.  I will walk into Chaifetz looking like Rudy's dad even though I've been there hundreds of times.

Compton and NextYearBill like this

Hughes-Tatum-Baniak-Heinrich was probably our highest-rated class ever. It's a little tricky because Tatum had to sit a year and Hughes was gone by the time he was eligible.

Barnett was a transfer so he wasn't part of the Evans-Loe-McCall-Jett recruiting class. Brian Daly was, if you include walk-ons, but otherwise it was just those four. I agree that this is the best class we've ever had because they stayed four years and delivered results. Best graduating class might be another way to look at it.

Mitchell-Reed-Conklin-Cassity-Thompson-Cotto is pretty solid and could've been legendary if it had worked out with Reed.

Lisch-Liddell was quite a class for Soderberg. Too bad he couldn't string anything together behind them.

Ford's Goodwin-French class has already delivered more than they did.

Collins-Hargrove-Bell-Jimerson-Diarra has already been an exciting and really likable class. Excited to see how the four remaining guys end up. They could be special.

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

On 11/18/2020 at 8:53 AM, SLU_Nick said:

Just so I am on record.  I think Yuri has the ability to greatly increase his Free throw shooting.  It would not shock me to see him shoot at a 75% clip.  French on the other hand I would be shocked to see him climb to even 55%.

I feel like it is just one of those things that we need to learn to live with.  French cant be on the floor in the close game at the end. 

If French shoots 55% from the line, we're a top 15 team.

4 minutes ago, SShoe said:

If French shoots 55% from the line, we're a top 15 team.

I would be pleasantly surprised with a huge improvement from French, imo more important and what should be realistic is to get Goodwin over 65% and I fully expect Yuri to get there with healthy hands this year. If Goodwin improves, then even if French doesn't, he's really the only awful free throw shooter on the team.

3 minutes ago, ACE said:

I would be pleasantly surprised with a huge improvement from French, imo more important and what should be realistic is to get Goodwin over 65% and I fully expect Yuri to get there with healthy hands this year. If Goodwin improves, then even if French doesn't, he's really the only awful free throw shooter on the team.

The most likely best case for SLU with regards to French's FT shooting is for a big improvement by Jimmy Bell so that he can help close out games when teams are fouling at end of the game.

4 minutes ago, RickThePick said:

The most likely best case for SLU with regards to French's FT shooting is for a big improvement by Jimmy Bell so that he can help close out games when teams are fouling at end of the game.

I think that could be a good role for Linssen.  

dlarry likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Hughes-Tatum-Baniak-Heinrich was probably our highest-rated class ever. It's a little tricky because Tatum had to sit a year and Hughes was gone by the time he was eligible.

Barnett was a transfer so he wasn't part of the Evans-Loe-McCall-Jett recruiting class. Brian Daly was, if you include walk-ons, but otherwise it was just those four. I agree that this is the best class we've ever had because they stayed four years and delivered results. Best graduating class might be another way to look at it.

Mitchell-Reed-Conklin-Cassity-Thompson-Cotto is pretty solid and could've been legendary if it had worked out with Reed.

Lisch-Liddell was quite a class for Soderberg. Too bad he couldn't string anything together behind them.

Ford's Goodwin-French class has already delivered more than they did.

Collins-Hargrove-Bell-Jimerson-Diarra has already been an exciting and really likable class. Excited to see how the four remaining guys end up. They could be special.

If you count it by class only last years class wouldn't include Perkins but if you consider it by recruits brought in that year Perkins obviously makes this class much better. I tend to think of a recruiting class as all players brought in that year, so it would also include the 1 year of Weaver. 

51 minutes ago, SShoe said:

I think that could be a good role for Linssen.  

Agree about Linssen.  Also, didn't we read that Lorentsson is around 85-90 % and wasn't Russell around the same?  Based on how they play this year, either of those could be outstanding options to go along with JG, JP, YC and GJ.

There is an interesting tweet from Stu D, showing a few seconds of the Billikens returning to practice after being off 2 days.  The clip shows a nice move by JB Jr, while being guarded by HF, putting in a left-handed hook from about 5 feet.  I assume it will show up on the first page of this Board.

24 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Well if this game happens, probably would be first game of year for Bonnies.

😐

Why has no one suggested this:

NFT: NBA: Zero positives out of 346 players tested | Big Blue Interactive

obviously some alterations would have to be made to allow players to shoot the ball

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, ACE said:

Listen to the interview Jordan did with Frank C. He said he is hitting high 70's in practice.  He rebuilt his shot over the summer.  He said there is no reason he can't be in the 80%'s.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Listen to the interview Jordan did with Frank C. He said he is hitting high 70's in practice.  He rebuilt his shot over the summer.  He said there is no reason he can't be in the 80%'s.

If Goodwins hits 80% and French hits 55%, we're Final Four baby!

slufanskip likes this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Big East hit hard today. Both DePaul and Creighton on pause. Blue Jays out of South Dakota tourney.  DePaul has canceled first three games of the season.

14 day quarantines for entire programs just isn't practical.  Quarantining the positive person(s) and a week of testing for everybody else, sure.  But if a 14 day pause for everybody remains the norm, most teams will not finish their nonconference schedule by January.  Some teams won't even finish by Valentine's Day.

cgeldmacher likes this

49 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

14 day quarantines for entire programs just isn't practical.  Quarantining the positive person(s) and a week of testing for everybody else, sure.  But if a 14 day pause for everybody remains the norm, most teams will not finish their nonconference schedule by January.  Some teams won't even finish by Valentine's Day.

Yeah, a 14 day in season quarantine won't work, I think teams are just being overly cautious now in order to get the season started as smoothly as possible. 

6 hours ago, bauman said:

Agree about Linssen.  Also, didn't we read that Lorentsson is around 85-90 % and wasn't Russell around the same?  Based on how they play this year, either of those could be outstanding options to go along with JG, JP, YC and GJ.

I don't see Lorentsson or Russell getting a whole lot of time when clutch free throws matter. There's just a bit too much depth and seniority. Not saying they can't emerge next year or anytime thereafter as go tos.