2020-21 Season

17 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

It's been that way for a while.......if you want to watch/read something quaint, try "all the president's men"  All the time they spent verifying sources is a bad joke today.  Rachel Maddow would've been on the air with the first whiff of watergate, even if the source was the McGovern campaign......

There sure are a lot of self-appointed journalism experts on here. You fellas ever work in a newsroom? Just curious where this expertise is coming from. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

so a "journalist" is ok if they put out rumors and unsubstantiated information?  if that is true in todays journalism, journalism truly is dead.  the good ole days a story didnt make the news unless there were two  verified sources.   that's not needed anymore i guess.  in fact nothing has to be verified i guess.  and then it's just reader/viewer/listener beware.  

Like I said, Gardner isn't a journalist.  Chapley is.  Chapley didn't write an article or post his own tweet about the party.  He re-tweeted Gardner's tweet and put a disclaimer on it that he hadn't verified anything.  You can clearly see Brooks Ford in the pictures and they are clearly screengrabs from his social media account.  I'm not sure what sources Carter needed to retweet something & clearly state that he hasn't verified anything.

I hope you know this by now, but you should be independently verifying anything you read on a message board or social media with a reputable source (or really multiple reputable sources) before believing it regardless of the source or who the source appears to be.  It has always been reader beware when it comes to the internet.

hmart23 and Littlebill like this

14 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

No degree in journalism?  Pffft.......so you're just a slightly older mbm like me.......

15 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

No degree in journalism?  Pffft.......so you're just a slightly older mbm like me.......

yes,mbm i am. i read newspapers for decades until they became unreadable. now i just read billikens.com

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

so a "journalist" is ok if they put out rumors and unsubstantiated information?  if that is true in todays journalism, journalism truly is dead.  the good ole days a story didnt make the news unless there were two  verified sources.   that's not needed anymore i guess.  in fact nothing has to be verified i guess.  and then it's just reader/viewer/listener beware.  

Those days are long gone. Rumors, opinions, and unsubstantiated information is 95% of journalism today.

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

yes,mbm i am. i read newspapers for decades until they became unreadable. now i just read billikens.com

If you want PROOF as to how bad and meaningless the current level of "journalism" has become, just look at the daily PD or your local daily newspaper and note how few pages it has, and how free of advertisement it has become. This is not only for print media. CNN is close to bankruptcy and looking for a buyer.

In a short phrase, crap does not sell well. I do not need to buy or read crap, neither does anyone else.

2 hours ago, BrockL said:

There sure are a lot of self-appointed journalism experts on here. You fellas ever work in a newsroom? Just curious where this expertise is coming from. 

Brock, while I have never worked in a newsroom, I have spent my entire career drafting and reviewing written materials.  As a SLU alum it concerns me that a very recent Masters in Communications grad cannot even write a decent short, one-paragraph bio on his "media" website.  Chapley describes himself thus;  He most recently was "a the lead" (what is a the lead?) Beat writer (small w) at ScoopswithDannyMac.com.  Prior to that he was a Staff Writer (Cap W) for the University News....  I'm not certain if "writer" should have a capital "W" or not, but I am certain that it needs to be the same based on the way it is used in this bio.  By the way, this paragraph has been unchanged for quite a while.  If I was trying to use a website to secure business, I think I would make sure that it was correct and professional in appearance.

I think I would also make sure that in March 2021 my most recent website article was not written almost 4 months ago.  As for his only apparent  media-related employment at Scoops, I couldn't find any references to any recent Chapley input or to him as a staff member.

So, as stated above, I have never worked in a newsroom, but it seems like that is something that Chapley and I have in common.  The one difference is, I don't hold myself out as a media source, just another MBM whose tweets do not continue to appear on the front page of Billikens.com.

billiken_roy likes this

20 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

JB has exceeded most expectations since he’s taken over as Gov. This is the second or third time you’ve whined about him on the board this week. Shut up 

Still waiting for your evidence of me posting the two or three times I’ve mentioned the governor of Illinois this past week. Did I forget? Or did you make it up?

36 minutes ago, Old guy said:

If you want PROOF as to how bad and meaningless the current level of "journalism" has become, just look at the daily PD or your local daily newspaper and note how few pages it has, and how free of advertisement it has become. This is not only for print media. CNN is close to bankruptcy and looking for a buyer.

In a short phrase, crap does not sell well. I do not need to buy or read crap, neither does anyone else.

CNN is owned by AT&T. While they would probably like to get rid of it bankruptcy is not an option. 

I have the degree and enough time in grade to be a journalist from both sides of the aisle.  My major problem is typing ---- I lead the league in typos and unforced errors.  Journalism doesn't exist anymore.  Kind of like song artists and movie producers.  Who needs that when you can rap and/or shoot on an Iphone,  Maybe even start your own blog or something.  Hey, it worked for Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, Joe Lunardi and Jerry Palm.  And now there is the rush to reveal it first so you get credit for being first.  Being first is more important than actually being correct.  

Whoever advocated checking multiple sources before conclusion is right on.  We all know Wikipedia is wrong all over the place.

2 hours ago, willie said:

CNN is owned by AT&T. While they would probably like to get rid of it bankruptcy is not an option. 

Wrong you are in this one Willie. Large corporations can have divisions that produce nothing but losses and give them bad reputations. They become a burden both financial and otherwise.  ATT is not doing great as far as I know. Sure, they are BIG but they have lots of debt and a number of divisions that just do not  perform as expected. They can play with the junk divisions for as long as the money  holds, but money is not forever. Lehman Bros and NY Central found out this truth some time ago. You either turn around the non performing areas or get rid of them, no other options available.

19 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Wrong you are in this one Willie. Large corporations can have divisions that produce nothing but losses and give them bad reputations. They become a burden both financial and otherwise.  ATT is not doing great as far as I know. Sure, they are BIG but they have lots of debt and a number of divisions that just do not  perform as expected. They can play with the junk divisions for as long as the money  holds, but money is not forever. Lehman Bros and NY Central found out this truth some time ago. You either turn around the non performing areas or get rid of them, no other options available.

CNN is minuscule in the AT&T structure. It was acquired as part of the Time Warner acquisition. Yes they would probably like to divest them because it doesn’t fit but no bankruptcy is not an option. While T has been an underperforming asset it is a huge and profitable company with investment grade debt. 

There are LOTS of very large companies with very large caps, lots of debt and many non performing divisions that just do not do well and over time sink slowly. Probably a good example of that was Sears which basically refused to die until it was dead. Sears at one point was very inventive, for example they created Discover (the credit card) which they got rid of, at one time they were into retail brokerage. The problem with Sears was its management and it was a problem they  had until they died. ATT in well started in the downward spiral. I think it is just a matter of time. And if they find no buyer for CNN they will probably close it down. Another example of a poorly run company that is or was a giant, at least some time ago, is GE. Size and money is only part of the equation, with s top  management that consistently makes bad decisions they go down the tubes sooner or later. In my opinion ATT is in that category and keeping CNN alive is not a good decision.

My point in the initial post was that crap does not sell as news. And this IS true, although ATT may keep the division dangling on life support that would be better spent  trying to turn around their main businesses.

59 minutes ago, BigMouthBilliken said:

Ok one time. Seems like you were off a few times in your count. It appears my post from 11 days ago really struck a nerve with you. Sad

This seems hard for you. I said this is the second or third time you’ve whined about JB, and provided a second example upon your repeated requests.... L

7 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

This seems hard for you. I said this is the second or third time you’ve whined about JB, and provided a second example upon your repeated requests.... L

You said the second or third time “this week.” Since you care about semantics just wanted to show the posts were 11 days apart. So I’m averaging 1 post a week about JB over the last two weeks so you can adjust your official count in your diary. Sorry I hurt your feelings

16 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think we’re going to get into Billiken gossip mostly. Really focus in on off the court rumors and salacious pictures of players that we can take out of context. 

Just stay away from Grandy Glaze SUPER HOLE SPREADER content.

5 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Shouldn’t you be supporting the alumni if this esteemed university? So, if you are a fan of VCU, St. Bonaventure, Mizzou, or just a random troll, there is some required content posted by Grandy Glaze. If you watch these videos, and pay for them, you will understand everything about basketball. Good luck! 

Just now, AnkielBreakers said:

Shouldn’t you be supporting the alumni if this esteemed university? So, if you are a fan of VCU, St. Bonaventure, Mizzou, or just a random troll, there is some required content posted by Grandy Glaze. If you watch these videos, and pay for them, you will understand everything about basketball. Good luck! 

8 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I’m going to be honest on this one. I’ve gone back and forth in my head more times than I care to admit on wether or not I should try to interview him. Should I put it to a board vote? 

10 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’m going to be honest on this one. I’ve gone back and forth in my head more times than I care to admit on wether or not I should try to interview him. Should I put it to a board vote? 

I think it'd probably be a pretty entertaining back and forth, but having said that....No.