2020-21 Season

14 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

The tweet was out there, Carter did not confirm it happened, just that the rumor had been out there and why he chose not to report on it.

So if someone tweets something about you that is not true and I go ahead and help spread  it across social media without verifying it that is ok? Maybe I am just from a different time

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, slusam said:

So if someone tweets something about you that is not true and I go ahead and help spread  it across social media without verifying it that is ok? Maybe I am just from a different time

he just posted pictures and let you decide. He did not say Brooks is the reason.

TheChosenOne likes this

8 minutes ago, slusam said:

What did Ford say that countered anything in the tweets sent by Gardner or Chapley?  Ford didn't deny anything in those tweets.  Ford never said he wasn't at the party.  Ford went out there and acted like the whole thing was an attack on Brooks to avoid getting asked questions he didn't want to answer.  

Since the loss to the Bonnies, Ford has been saying COVID should be took into account for the Billikens issues in the second half of the season.  If you are going to use that as the excuse, you should be prepared to answer question about how the team got hit so hard by COVID.  Especially when this story has been making the rounds for months.

39 minutes ago, slusam said:

What was not true? The pictures existed, and were in the public domain. All Carter did was point out what pictures had been posted, say he would ask coach Ford about it, asked Coach Ford, and then posted his response. Seems like more than fair treatment to me.

no one has said, has it been confirmed that coach ford got his virus from that party and that coach ford then passed it on to the team?   if not, then this is a wrongly spread and discussed subject imo.   if he did, then let it run it's course and the chips with coach ford's boss falls where they fall.  

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

no one has said, has it been confirmed that coach ford got his virus from that party and that coach ford then passed it on to the team?   if not, then this is a wrongly spread and discussed subject imo.   if he did, then let it run it's course and the chips with coach ford's boss falls where they fall.  

No, but basic/related questions have not been asked to get to that point (publicly, at least - I hope May asked the questions when he first heard about it).

55 minutes ago, brianstl said:

What did Ford say that countered anything in the tweets sent by Gardner or Chapley?  Ford didn't deny anything in those tweets.  Ford never said he wasn't at the party.  Ford went out there and acted like the whole thing was an attack on Brooks to avoid getting asked questions he didn't want to answer.  

Since the loss to the Bonnies, Ford has been saying COVID should be took into account for the Billikens issues in the second half of the season.  If you are going to use that as the excuse, you should be prepared to answer question about how the team got hit so hard by COVID.  Especially when this story has been making the rounds for months.

Nor was he asked that. Do you have any real reason to believe he was at that party since you keep harping on it? Keep in mind he would have been at the SLU game till 9:30 or 10:00 and the bar should have closed at 11 PM per city regulations.

It's quite possible they simply don't know who was patient 0 in the outbreak. It's also possible they do know and don't want to make it public as doing so would be the equivalent of throwing that person/player under the bus and it really doesn't achieve anything to do so.

bauman likes this

5 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Nor was he asked that. Do you have any real reason to believe he was at that party since you keep harping on it? Keep in mind he would have been at the SLU game till 9:30 or 10:00 and the bar should have closed at 11 PM per city regulations.

I find it very unlikely he was there given this time frame. 

bauman likes this

I am fairly certain based on what I’ve heard and the general fact pattern that Travis was not at his sons bday party. That doesn’t change the fact that he is the face of the program and at a time when he was talking about how cautious the program was, he was renting out a bar for a bunch of college kids (including one who lives with him) in what can only be described as a high risk event. If his justification was that his son already had COVID then so be it but it’s not ridiculous that he would be asked to explain why he thought that was acceptable. 

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Why should we expect "real" old school journalism, proper sourcing, etc. when our major news outlets don't do this either?  Journalism is dead.

Gardner sent out a nasty, unverified hit piece -- which as many have pointed out may or may not be true.

Why does Coach Ford need to respond with a proper journalistic response to such a nasty attack?   

And why is the source of the COVID required to state the obvious -- our team was greatly and negatively affected by COVID? 

bauman likes this

3 minutes ago, NH said:

I am fairly certain based on what I’ve heard and the general fact pattern that Travis was not at his sons bday party. That doesn’t change the fact that he is the face of the program and at a time when he was talking about how cautious the program was, he was renting out a bar for a bunch of college kids (including one who lives with him) in what can only be described as a high risk event. If his justification was that his son already had COVID then that’s fine but it’s not ridiculous that he would be asked to explain why he thought that was acceptable. 

well said

Just now, Clock_Tower said:

Why should we expect "real" old school journalism, proper sourcing, etc. when our major news outlets don't do this either?  Journalism is dead.

Gardner sent out a nasty, unverified hit piece -- which as many have pointed out may or may not be true.

Why does Coach Ford need to respond with a proper journalistic response to such a nasty attack?   

And why is the source of the COVID required to state the obvious -- our team was greatly and negatively affected by COVID? 

What did Gardner send out that was unverified?  The pictures are sourced to Brooks own Instagram account.  No one has said the party didn't happen.  If people just wanted to nastily attack the program, this whole incident would have been brought up on the board a long time ago because it has been an open secret among many since shortly after it happened.

I don't like talking about stuff that makes the program look bad.  That said, attacks on people who tweeted about something that actually happened shouldn't be unanswered.  Travis Ford screwed up.  The full extent of the screw up is unknown, but it was Travis Ford's screw up and not Chris Gardner's or Carter Chapley's screw up.

NH, TaLBErt and Littlebill like this

25 minutes ago, brianstl said:

What did Gardner send out that was unverified?  The pictures are sourced to Brooks own Instagram account.  No one has said the party didn't happen.  If people just wanted to nastily attack the program, this whole incident would have been brought up on the board a long time ago because it has been an open secret among many since shortly after it happened.

I don't like talking about stuff that makes the program look bad.  That said, attacks on people who tweeted about something that actually happened shouldn't be unanswered.  Travis Ford screwed up.  The full extent of the screw up is unknown, but it was Travis Ford's screw up and not Chris Gardner's or Carter Chapley's screw up.

Ok. Point taken about the pictures and the party.   And not sure what attacks are being made about Gardner.  I guess I missed that part. 

But again, this is not journalism. No one is trying to write a comprehensive story.  Fair, old school journalism always reaches out to the other side.  No proof... no linkage established.  Contract tracing most likely was done and may have linked the party to Ford or not.  For now, just mud... that Travis Ford brought this upon himself and the program and got what he deserved... and irresponsible behavior from our head coach during a global pandemic.

1 hour ago, BilliesBy40 said:

No, but basic/related questions have not been asked to get to that point (publicly, at least - I hope May asked the questions when he first heard about it).

my point is that this should not have hit social media without that knowledge and was irresponsible during the crazy fears that still grip the nation about the virus.   if the worst that seems to be assumed by most is completely wrong, i hope this chauncey gardner guy gets hung out to dry.   he would deserve to be sued.   now if he is right, well then the only thing he'd be guilty of was coming out too soon.   but still seems irresponsible to me for a journalist.   that said, what is a responsible journalist anymore.  the media is out of control

Gardner and Chapley are to journalism as Military music is to music.

How Chapley has somehow convinced Billikens.com management to include all his tweets, including many having nothing to do with Billiken basketball, on the first page of this website continues to amaze me.  I understand this treatment for actual journalist's such as Stu, and for Members of the SLU sports community, e.g. Chris May, but not for someone whose only connection to actual journalism is that he might know how to spell it.

Spreading pictures of a 21st birthday party with the clear intent of harming the SLU basketball Head Coach is what we used to call Yellow Journalism.  Trying to do the Pontius Pilate routine of being blameless is pure bull$h!t .  If you come after my son or daughter you better understand that there is no lower blow to a parent

Good luck holding doors, Gardner and let us all know when you get a real job in the media, Chapley.

From my point of view what is going on is that everyone is looking for someone or something to place the blame for this season (apparently Ford in this casee). In reality if there is anything that really screwed up the team's efforts and tournament play this year, the most likely culprit is the extraordinary strictness of the Saint Louis and SLU Covid restrictions. The team should and could have been practicing and playing much earlier than they were. And, by the way, SLU deciding the Bills would not play Richmond, after they were there, due to the fact that Richmond was not compliant with the strict St. Louis restrictions, did not gain the team any friends or support this season. Another crass piece of stupidity on the same level was the cancellation of the MVC St. Louis tournament because of the St. Louis Covid regs. MVC played elsewhere, and I bet they will not bring their teams back to St. Louis for tournament for the foreseeable future. It takes a special kind of stupid to decide that your rules and regulations are superior to anyone else's. It is an application of "Deutschland, Deutshcland uber alles" to the Covid world of restrictions.

Deep  dark stupidity is what the St. Louis Covid regs really are. These regs are not superior in any way other that in their ability to obstruct what has been shown in the current tournaments to be a totally adequate, but much more lenient, set of Covid regulations. It appears that the supporters of St. Louis regulatory restrictions are likely to be the ones that are pointing the fingers at a different set of culprits to justify this season's disaster (and protect their own rear ends).

dennis_w and HenryB like this

27 minutes ago, bauman said:

How Chapley has somehow convinced Billikens.com management to include all his tweets, including many having nothing to do with Billiken basketball, on the first page of this website continues to amaze me.  I understand this treatment for actual journalist's such as Stu, and for Members of the SLU sports community, e.g. Chris May, but not for someone whose only connection to actual journalism is that he might know how to spell it.

Spreading pictures of a 21st birthday party with the clear intent of harming the SLU basketball Head Coach is what we used to call Yellow Journalism.  Trying to do the Pontius Pilate routine of being blameless is pure bull$h!t .  If you come after my son or daughter you better understand that there is no lower blow to a parent

Good luck holding doors, Gardner and let us all know when you get a real job in the media, Chapley.

You look at the two writers' content, and think Durando provides better SLU news? Honestly. Carter handled this perfectly - like "hey this is out there, it's been out here a while, just FYI." He didn't share it until it started making the rounds through a10 twitter. What he did was literally unbiased. Didn't comment on it - asked Ford to comment. That's it.

This is a truly bizarre reaction to the story. Chapley provides the best billiken news and is really the only one who listens to the fanbase as far as what we're looking for in a beat guy. The only one who does anything else worth reading is @Pistolthrough the new podcast (and here). 

The yellow journalism take is one of the wilder takes I've seen on this site... and that's saying something

3 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

You look at the two writers' content, and think Durando provides better SLU news? Honestly. Carter handled this perfectly - like "hey this is out there, it's been out here a while, just FYI." He didn't share it until it started making the rounds through a10 twitter. What he did was literally unbiased. Didn't comment on it - asked Ford to comment. That's it.

This is a truly bizarre reaction to the story. Chapley provides the best billiken news and is really the only one who listens to the fanbase as far as what we're looking for in a beat guy. The only one who does anything else worth reading is @Pistolthrough the new podcast (and here). 

The yellow journalism take is one of the wilder takes I've seen on this site... and that's saying something

IMO whatever his previous position in local media, Gardner is a doorman and has no obligation to uphold journalistic standards. He might as well just be some random guy. If I had access to those pictures, I personally wouldn’t have shared them, but if I did, it’d be dumb to criticize me for not adhering to journalistic standards. Because I’m not a journalist. 

I hold Chapley to a slightly higher standard, but the only thing I feel like he messed up is he should’ve reached out to and provided Ford’s statement alongside his original retweet. For example if Ford would’ve denied that Brooks’ party happened at all, it would’ve been really important context. That’s not what happened though so I guess in the end it doesn’t matter. 

As a side note, is Brooks’ birthday 12/23? That’s my daughter’s birthday. 

Littlebill and majerus mojo like this

27 minutes ago, bauman said:

IMO this is a poor take.  Chapley may not be able to pay the bills with journalism, but he is an actual journalist & covers the Billikens way more thoroughly than just about anyone.  He does write for scoopswithdannymac.com (along with Bernie Miklasz who I'm guessing you'd classify as a journalist).  Media is vastly different than it was 10, 5, or even a year ago, not all "journalists" have to work for a newspaper.  Again, important to note that Chapley didn't do anything except retweet Gardner - to piggyback off your strange Biblical analogy this would be akin to someone in Biblical times simply telling others that Pilate sentenced Jesus to death.  The phrase "don't shoot the messenger" surely applies in this situation.

I generally agree on Gardner.  He's kind of general pot stirrer on Twitter and seems to latch onto potentially scandalous stories & pump them up.  That being said, there was nothing inherently wrong with what he tweeted & I think asking questions about the party are valid.  I still question Gardner's motives & timing despite his kinda lame explanation of the timing on Twitter.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Nah dude, this ain’t it. Take your shots at Gardner but I’m gonna draw the line way before anyone takes shots at Carter. That dude grinds every day for Billiken content while working at least one “day job”.

rgbilliken likes this

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

IMO this is a poor take.  Chapley may not be able to pay the bills with journalism, but he is an actual journalist & covers the Billikens way more thoroughly than just about anyone.  He does write for scoopswithdannymac.com (along with Bernie Miklasz who I'm guessing you'd classify as a journalist).  Media is vastly different than it was 10, 5, or even a year ago, not all "journalists" have to work for a newspaper.  Again, important to note that Chapley didn't do anything except retweet Gardner - to piggyback off your strange Biblical analogy this would be akin to someone in Biblical times simply telling others that Pilate sentenced Jesus to death.  The phrase "don't shoot the messenger" surely applies in this situation.

I generally agree on Gardner.  He's kind of general pot stirrer on Twitter and seems to latch onto potentially scandalous stories & pump them up.  That being said, there was nothing inherently wrong with what he tweeted & I think asking questions about the party are valid.  I still question Gardner's motives & timing despite his kinda lame explanation of the timing on Twitter.

so a "journalist" is ok if they put out rumors and unsubstantiated information?  if that is true in todays journalism, journalism truly is dead.  the good ole days a story didnt make the news unless there were two  verified sources.   that's not needed anymore i guess.  in fact nothing has to be verified i guess.  and then it's just reader/viewer/listener beware.  

Old guy likes this

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Nah dude, this ain’t it. Take your shots at Gardner but I’m gonna draw the line way before anyone takes shots at Carter. That dude grinds every day for Billiken content while working at least one “day job”.

05, what is your plan for upcoming podcasts? I am really liking the content. At some point, I think you and Pistol interviewing a guy like Ian Mooney would be pretty outstanding if you are taking long distance requests.

Pistol likes this

1 minute ago, TheChosenOne said:

05, what is your plan for upcoming podcasts? I am really liking the content. At some point, I think you and Pistol interviewing a guy like Ian Mooney would be pretty outstanding if you are taking long distance requests.

I think we’re going to get into Billiken gossip mostly. Really focus in on off the court rumors and salacious pictures of players that we can take out of context. 

in all seriousness I’d really like us to get back into the interview game. I have feelers out with a couple players but it’s so busy during postseason hard to carve out 2 hours on a random weeknight. We have a former player guest, for our NIT special dropping Thursday, to talk about playing in the NIT. 

Pistol likes this

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

so a "journalist" is ok if they put out rumors and unsubstantiated information?  if that is true in todays journalism, journalism truly is dead.  the good ole days a story didnt make the news unless there were two  verified sources.   that's not needed anymore i guess.  in fact nothing has to be verified i guess.  and then it's just reader/viewer/listener beware.  

It's been that way for a while.......if you want to watch/read something quaint, try "all the president's men"  All the time they spent verifying sources is a bad joke today.  Rachel Maddow would've been on the air with the first whiff of watergate, even if the source was the McGovern campaign......

billiken_roy likes this