2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The timing of this getting dropped is what I think is interesting.  This wasn't CIA secret level stuff, people knew.  It was timed to drop when it would cause the most damage to Ford and not necessarily the program.

Maybe. If we had made the Tournament last night, this becomes a bit less impactful (but still a serious issue). 

5 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

Maybe. If we had made the Tournament last night, this becomes a bit less impactful (but still a serious issue). 

Absolutely it does. But now it costs the athletic department serious dollars. The A10, I believe, splits the NCAA tournament units so that 75% goes to the team that won it while 25% gets split amongst the remaining conference membership. 2014 fell off so now only 2019 is getting paid to SLU. 

2014 was a 2 unit tournament for SLU. 2019 is a 1 unit tournament. So the payout to SLU is probably ~$400,000 lighter next year from 2019 - not factoring in hits to the payouts from 2020 not happening. 

Bizziken likes this

Eh, we have a starting line up coming back of Yuri, Thatch, Perkins, Okoro and Linseen with Gibby, Jacobs, Hargrove and Bell coming off the bench.  The pitchforks need not come from this board. 

It was a mistake but lets be sure not to be outraged enough as a fan base to send us right back into the Crews era.   

Sorry, but this is an attack on the program.  If the NCAA wants to expend resources to investigate covid decisions then be my guest.  We better not do something kneejerk and stupid.  

Questions that will determine whether this is just an optic issue or an absolutely idiotic lapse of judgement that deserves true backlash.

1. Does the son live with or did he come into contact with TFord (or other family members that would come into contact with TFord) after this?

2. Was TFord or other family living with or in contact with TFord at this? 

yes on either of these and this is bad news for us and should lead to backlash

3. No for the above but did he fund this?

I’m assuming this is a yes.  This is bad optics that may effect trust from players and the school but not really ‘punishable’.

3 minutes ago, basebill123 said:

Questions that will determine whether this is just an optic issue or an absolutely idiotic lapse of judgement that deserves true backlash.

1. Does the son live with or did he come into contact with TFord (or other family members that would come into contact with TFord) after this?

I’m assuming this is a yes.  This is bad optics that may effect trust from players and the school but not really ‘punishable’.

I have no problem with him "paying" for his sons bday.  This is completely irrelevant. 

slufanskip likes this

2 minutes ago, basebill123 said:

The party was after the UMKC game.  After the outbreak it was suggested that game could be the source of the outbreak in the program. Draw your conclusions from there.

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

I have no problem with him "paying" for his sons bday.  This is completely irrelevant. 

That's my thought.  The question is did he have knowledge of and then put himself and therefore the team at risk. 

10 minutes ago, basebill123 said:

This is basically where I'm at. Even if Travis wasn't at the party, it seems unlikely he didn't spend time with his son over the holidays. I can't help but wonder what the players think/thought of this situation.

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

His son buying some drinks at a bar with some friends using dad’s credit card would be irrelevant.  Actively planning and paying the bill for a maskless spreader event during a pandemic does show lack of judgement and is relevant.  Again, not saying it’s anything more than a bad look, but is a bad look.  

4 minutes ago, basebill123 said:

His son buying some drinks at a bar with some friends using dad’s credit card would be irrelevant.  Actively planning and paying the bill for a maskless spreader event during a pandemic does show lack of judgement and is relevant.  Again, not saying it’s anything more than a bad look, but is a bad look.  

I do not agree.  Its relevant to what's going on around the world, but not relevant to SLU basketball. 

HoosierPal likes this

15 minutes ago, Brighton said:

If true, then this should be grounds for termination. I’m sorry, but as much as I complain about his gameday coaching, this would be far worse and would affect the program, school, and recruiting.

We were all wondering about your take on this.  I'm shocked that it's so positive......

5 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I do not agree.  Its relevant to what's going on around the world, but not relevant to SLU basketball. 

Legitimately curious how it isn’t relevant to SLU basketball? Do you believe Travis Ford’s son had a 21st birthday party in St. Louis days before Christmas and didn’t see his parents that day or within the days after? Because that’s the only scenario I can dream up where this wouldn’t be relevant to SLU basketball.

8 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Legitimately curious how it isn’t relevant to SLU basketball? Do you believe Travis Ford’s son had a 21st birthday party in St. Louis days before Christmas and didn’t see his parents that day or within the days after? Because that’s the only scenario I can dream up where this wouldn’t be relevant to SLU basketball.

I's strictly talking about Ford funding it.  He can fund it, and take safety measures. 

slufanskip likes this

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Who is Topher Gardner?

Former producer on a couple of sports radio stations in town. Now he’s a doorman. During Situation 2, he seemed to have some information on how screwed up the process was against the players, which likely came from the players’ or at least 1 player’s attorney. 

2 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Former producer on a couple of sports radio stations in town. Now he’s a doorman. During Situation 2, he seemed to have some information on how screwed up the process was against the players, which likely came from the players’ or at least 1 player’s attorney. 

Interesting career path.