2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Weird. The first four is on a Thursday, and opening weekend starts the next day and is Friday - Monday

EsHh0PQW8AEwUYn?format=jpg&name=large

I like it and while the motivation is based on Covid and all the players being in the same location, I'll predict that these changes are here to stay. They'll get more prime-time games and the Sweet 16 games that used to be going head to head will now be spread out on Saturday and Sunday.

While everyone will bemoan losing the Thursday all day games and playing hooky from work, it'll be just as sweet to get a full day of first round games on Saturday.

BilliesBy40 likes this

Let's hope they choose to play at locations without very strict Covid Regs. This is the type of tournament that having a few positives here and there among the players or staff may wreck the structure of the whole tournament. Think of it, your team has played and won rounds one and two. It is time for Sweet 16 and your opponent cannot play because of a few (+) tests keep the whole team out of play. What is there to be done?, is the infected team eliminated because they forfeited and the team that could play advances to Elite 8? They cannot postpone the whole tournament every time a few players test (+) and they are required to quarantine the whole team, think of it. If the players that are (-) by testing can continue playing under local rules, the structure of the tournament might be maintained to a reasonable degree (although it would handicap the teams playing with some players in quarantine).

If they play at a location or locatrions with very strict quarantine rules, the whole tournament can unravel.

6 hours ago, Old guy said:

Let's hope they choose to play at locations without very strict Covid Regs. This is the type of tournament that having a few positives here and there among the players or staff may wreck the structure of the whole tournament. Think of it, your team has played and won rounds one and two. It is time for Sweet 16 and your opponent cannot play because of a few (+) tests keep the whole team out of play. What is there to be done?, is the infected team eliminated because they forfeited and the team that could play advances to Elite 8? They cannot postpone the whole tournament every time a few players test (+) and they are required to quarantine the whole team, think of it. If the players that are (-) by testing can continue playing under local rules, the structure of the tournament might be maintained to a reasonable degree (although it would handicap the teams playing with some players in quarantine).

If they play at a location or locations with very strict quarantine rules, the whole tournament can unravel.

The entire tournament will be in Indiana.

4 hours ago, Old guy said:

Assuming that means Indianapolis, it would be interesting to find out how restrictive are the Covid regulations in that particular city.

It's been announced that the First Four will be played at IU's Assembly Hall and Purdue's Mackey Arena.

All other games will be at Hinkle, Banker's Life, Lucas Oil and the fairgrounds arena (so, yes, Indianapolis). This has been announced for a while, with the exact dates being the new information. 

Overall, Indiana has been more lax with regulations than states like NY or CA. I'm sure that has something to do with the location. In addition, it's easier for the NCAA to plan an event in their home city of Indianapolis.

15 minutes ago, Deutschkind said:

It's been announced that the First Four will be played at IU's Assembly Hall and Purdue's Mackey Arena.

All other games will be at Hinkle, Banker's Life, Lucas Oil and the fairgrounds arena (so, yes, Indianapolis). This has been announced for a while, with the exact dates being the new information. 

Overall, Indiana has been more lax with regulations than states like NY or CA. I'm sure that has something to do with the location. In addition, it's easier for the NCAA to plan an event in their home city of Indianapolis.

Indy and the surrounding county, Marion County are under one consolidated governing body, commonly referred to as Unigov.  Unlike our mess here, one voice, one protocol covers the entire city/county.

Indiana has been, to me, nearer to forefront of the COVID program than other states.  Early on they sourced one testing company and made the tests available state wide. I have relatives in Indiana, and they all have tested multiple times with minimal waiting for results.  Indiana's numbers aren't stellar, but they do seem to have a better handle on this pandemic, than some other states. 

3 hours ago, Deutschkind said:

Thank you, happy to hear that Indianapolis is not obsessed with over regulation of Covid.

22 hours ago, Old guy said:

Thank you, happy to hear that Indianapolis is not obsessed with over regulation of Covid.

I suppose people of goodwill can disagree what constitutes "over-regulation." I think we all hope that the NCAA does what needs to be done in order to keep players, coaches and staff safe and healthy and not be blinded by the almighty dollar

3 hours ago, Deutschkind said:

I suppose people of goodwill can disagree what constitutes "over-regulation." I think we all hope that the NCAA does what needs to be done in order to keep players, coaches and staff safe and healthy and not be blinded by the almighty dollar

Some player or multiple players are virtually guaranteed to turn (+) during the  time of the tournament. If whole teams are kept from playing during a tournament and quarantined for 14 or more days with only one or two players testing (+), there is no way the tournament can be played to completion. This is not a matter of money, it is a matter of trying to figure out how an NCAA tournament can be made feasible.

10 hours ago, Compton said:

^Just have to get all the front liners and seniors vaxed so we can move on to the next most important group - teams 1 through 68. 

Yes, I agree - Goodwin, Has, and Perkins should all be vaccinated immediately.

15 hours ago, Old guy said:

Some player or multiple players are virtually guaranteed to turn (+) during the  time of the tournament. If whole teams are kept from playing during a tournament and quarantined for 14 or more days with only one or two players testing (+), there is no way the tournament can be played to completion. This is not a matter of money, it is a matter of trying to figure out how an NCAA tournament can be made feasible.

We have no information what the testing and quarantining protocols will be. Anything discussed at this time is pure speculation. Right now every conference, state, city, team is under different sets of rules, that won't be the case for the tournament with everything under the NCAA roof. Let's see what the NCAA comes up with. 

16 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Feels like there should be a GDT just for the first day back at practice 

Definitely.  Any of you special people and insiders out there?  We need a practice report ASAP!  Everyone look healthy?  Moving at full speed?  Anyone put on the covid 19 around the middle? 

54 minutes ago, Deutschkind said:

We have no information what the testing and quarantining protocols will be. Anything discussed at this time is pure speculation. Right now every conference, state, city, team is under different sets of rules, that won't be the case for the tournament with everything under the NCAA roof. Let's see what the NCAA comes up with. 

Yes!, entirely correct. That is why we NEED to have the tournament in a jurisdiction or city which is not obsessively strict with Covid and quarantine rules. Why is this so hard to understand? We, all the D1 teams chosen for the Dance, need to  be able to play for a number of weeks, and they will NOT be able to do it if whole teams are quarantined for weeks at a time.