2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

What worries me is we get over it and then our opponents get it. What an effed up start  2021 is off to. 

I would think other schools and conferences would be in the same plight so you might be able to line up other games or the A10 could just set up a round robin type tournament with the teams who can still play.

I’d bet that if we only play 8 more games but win 7 or 8 of em we still dance. I mean we got ranked without playing! Our non con is solid and many other teams will only have 15-20 games played come tourney time. I want to see basketball but what I really want is for us to be healthy come March!

Let's look at this analytically. It looks like the protocols for testing and allowing play to happen are becoming more strict instead of more open. This certainly appears to be the case with SLU. This will result in less games played not only by SLU but across the board. There is also likely to be a lot less practice taking place. I have no idea how much practice or what kind of practice is allowed during the times the teams do not play because of Covid, but assume it is limited even if it is allowed.

All of this means that the total number of games played by the teams will be reduced, probably significantly, prior to the Dance. Assuming there will be a Dance, which at this time cannot be considered a certain event, although it probably will happen, the selection will have to  be based upon an unequal number of games played by most teams against opponents that a) will vary in ability (as is the normal case), and b) may or may not have been playing or doing much practice prior to any particular game for a significant amount of time (which is not the normal case).

How is the selection to be made when you introduce all of these extraneous factors due to Covid into the mix? How are the folks at NCAA going to deal with this? I do not know for sure, they could do anything at all.

Early on I had posted that Covid was going to be a major if not a determinant factor of this season. I was lambasted and called troll by a bunch of people who want to hear only what they want to  hear, not reality. Reality is slowly coming to show its ugly  face and will most likely continue doing so for the rest of the season. It will be what it will be, of course, but the damned virus will be a major factor this season, whether you like it or not.

BIG BILL FAN likes this

just the fact this author discusses goodwin with oscar is an incredible compliment.   not sure if anyone can compare to the Big O.   imo oscar is in the greatest player ever discussion with maybe 3 or 4 players.  

34 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

just the fact this author discusses goodwin with oscar is an incredible compliment.   not sure if anyone can compare to the Big O.   imo oscar is in the greatest player ever discussion with maybe 3 or 4 players.  

I totally agree.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

For those interested, there is an article about The Big O in the Sports Illustrated NBA Preview edition.

13 minutes ago, pierrelaclede said:

Still ranked at #24 this week

....and still 15 in NET. 

Illinois with 4 losses , including the bad one (at home against a weak MD team) only dropped from 5 to 8 in Net.  As the Missouri State College of Central Missouri drops throughout the year, it will only hurt Illinois' NET.

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.a10talk.com/slu-billikens-nba-player-comparisons/

Just something to read on another no Billiken basketball day.

-the player I was most interested in seeing was HAS, the article indicates Bam is 6'9, HAS is 6'6 or 6'7, does that make a big difference in the League?

-hoping our guys are healthy and getting some basketball related practice somehow

On 1/10/2021 at 7:59 AM, Old guy said:

Let's look at this analytically. It looks like the protocols for testing and allowing play to happen are becoming more strict instead of more open. This certainly appears to be the case with SLU. This will result in less games played not only by SLU but across the board. There is also likely to be a lot less practice taking place. I have no idea how much practice or what kind of practice is allowed during the times the teams do not play because of Covid, but assume it is limited even if it is allowed.

All of this means that the total number of games played by the teams will be reduced, probably significantly, prior to the Dance. Assuming there will be a Dance, which at this time cannot be considered a certain event, although it probably will happen, the selection will have to  be based upon an unequal number of games played by most teams against opponents that a) will vary in ability (as is the normal case), and b) may or may not have been playing or doing much practice prior to any particular game for a significant amount of time (which is not the normal case).

How is the selection to be made when you introduce all of these extraneous factors due to Covid into the mix? How are the folks at NCAA going to deal with this? I do not know for sure, they could do anything at all.

Early on I had posted that Covid was going to be a major if not a determinant factor of this season. I was lambasted and called troll by a bunch of people who want to hear only what they want to  hear, not reality. Reality is slowly coming to show its ugly  face and will most likely continue doing so for the rest of the season. It will be what it will be, of course, but the damned virus will be a major factor this season, whether you like it or not.

Top three moments in Billikens.com history:

1. The post announcing the hiring of Rick Majerus.

2. Every "Word on the streets" post from P Diddy

3. Old Guy going out on a limb and saying Covid would be a major factor this season. He called it!