2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Late January for positive tests that came out on December 30?

Why would anyone expect another positive test on January 10th? The guys are quarantining which means they aren't around anyone. Even if one player does test positive 11 days after last being exposed to a player on December 30, that is just one player and shouldn't affect anyone else.

By Jan 10, any player that tested positive on December 30th should be good to leave isolation. By Jan 13, every player that went into quarantine and didn't test positive should be able to leave quarantine. If someone in quarantine ends up testing positive than his freedom date will be 10 days from the date he tests positive. Either way, SLU players, or the vast majority of them, should be back on the practice count on Thursday, Jan 14.

I understand not wanting to play a game on Jan 15, but not playing on Jan 20 would be really odd to me. And quite frankly, they should just call Davidson up and tell them that instead of playing Jan 15, can you play on Sunday, Jan 17.

-the post you are quoting didn't make a lot sense, yours does, however I think CFord is looking for more than 3 days of practice before a game, but he might not get that

1 hour ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Unbelievable he has a job in this sport.... 

-not at all, he is among the biggest supporters of the Blue Bloods, the school and conference where he played especially, so he has little time with non P6 programs and the P6 programs get the airtime on ESPN so that fits for them

if they do not plan on allowing spectators, brooklyn is indeed a stupid waste of money.   hell they could play at a ymca somewhere.  

dennis_w and CBFan like this

i love the idea of playing at some little obscure old school gym like Rose Hill Gym  if the fans arent going to be allowed.  

Sorry to repeat an earlier thought, but why would the Conference even \have a tournament?  I can only think of one reason-$$$ from TV.  How will the team who wins the tournament feel when they have to bow out of the NCAA due to COVID picked up when all A 10 teams are together at one site?  What if that team was the Bills?

Conference standings will allow the Selection Committee enough info to pick whatever A 10 teams will be invited to INDY.  Why risk it?

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

if they do not plan on allowing spectators, brooklyn is indeed a stupid waste of money.   hell they could play at a ymca somewhere.  

31 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i love the idea of playing at some little obscure old school gym like Rose Hill Gym  if the fans arent going to be allowed.  

Agree completely. Barclays Center is expensive. Rose Hill would be cool. Sound wouldn't get completely lost.

Although putting it somewhere like Richmond could also cut down on hotel and other travel costs (Without looking, I'm assuming NYC rooms are still considerably more expensive than other cities, even though the scale has shifted downward).

billiken_roy likes this

5 minutes ago, bauman said:

Sorry to repeat an earlier thought, but why would the Conference even \have a tournament?  I can only think of one reason-$$$ from TV.  How will the team who wins the tournament feel when they have to bow out of the NCAA due to COVID picked up when all A 10 teams are together at one site?  What if that team was the Bills?

Conference standings will allow the Selection Committee enough info to pick whatever A 10 teams will be invited to INDY.  Why risk it?

1. The conference tournament allows ahead to play in and thus allow an additional team to make the dance. 2. The quantity of conference games played and strength of conference opponents will make it difficult to clearly see rankings of teams.  For example, we have yet to play a conference game.

21 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Agree completely. Barclays Center is expensive. Rose Hill would be cool. Sound wouldn't get completely lost.

Although putting it somewhere like Richmond could also cut down on hotel and other travel costs (Without looking, I'm assuming NYC rooms are still considerably more expensive than other cities, even though the scale has shifted downward).

I don't keep up with NYC rules, but in December they still had a 3 to 4 day quarantine test out for visitors coming into NY from non-contiguous states. [There was a visit period of 1 or 2 days this applied to. Teams could fly into NY and fly out immediately to avoid the quarantine.]   Normal quarantine without the test out was 14 days.  That could cause issues with any tourney in NYC.

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I don't keep up with NYC rules, but in December they still had a 3 to 4 day quarantine test out for visitors coming into NY from non-contiguous states. [There was a visit period of 1 or 2 days this applied to. Teams could fly into NY and fly out immediately to avoid the quarantine.]   Normal quarantine without the test out was 14 days.  That could cause issues with any tourney in NYC.

-according to their website, NYState still has travel restrictions for visitors, including at least a 3 day quarantine, that is why the tournament gets a new home in a new state this year

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

well that policy has been so effective.

AGB91 likes this

44 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-according to their website, NYState still has travel restrictions for visitors, including at least a 3 day quarantine, that is why the tournament gets a new home in a new state this year

That rule does not apply to sports teams that are part of a testing protocol.  

College sports teams have been traveling to and playing games in NY state.

10 minutes ago, brianstl said:

That rule does not apply to sports teams that are part of a testing protocol.  

College sports teams have been traveling to and playing games in NY state.

You may be more up to date on NY rules than me, but wasn't/isn't there a provision for quick trips (24 or 48 hours or less) that give this exemption? 

13 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You may be more up to date on NY rules than me, but wasn't/isn't there a provision for quick trips (24 or 48 hours or less) that give this exemption? 

I believe the rule is that teams and support staff from certain counties must quarantine except for the things involved in with the game.  Closed practices and walk throughs are allowed.  If they are in the state for more than any part of 3 consecutive days that they have to tested for COVID at that point if they already haven't been tested since their arrival in the state.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I believe the rule is that teams and support staff from certain counties must quarantine except for the things involved in with the game.  Closed practices and walk throughs are allowed.  If they are in the state for more than any part of 3 consecutive days that they have to tested for COVID at that point if they already haven't been tested since their arrival in the state.

Thanks.  I am sure (hope) the A10 has a better understanding of this than I do.  This would eliminate all fans including parents, it seems.  If the situation doesn't change, let's go to Richmond, and then Indy. Play at both VCU and Richmond, minimizing the Rams and Spiders home court games.

Here are my thoughts:

1) We should play a tournament if at all possible. It gives all the teams something to play the rest of the season for and the A-10 has a long history of getting an extra NCAA bid by the two favorites not winning the conference tourney.

2) It doesn't make much sense to play in Barclays if fans aren't allowed. And there is no way fans will be allowed in NYC any time soon.

3) If there are southern locations (i.e. Charlotte) with large arenas that are available and 25% of fans could go, that might make sense.

4) If that doesn't work, just play on campus somewhere. People need to stop worrying about whether something is 100% fair or 100% perfect and understand that this season is like no other. Some things are going to be different and just suck it up and deal with it.

5) I kind of feel the same mindset should be had by our coaches when it comes to getting back on the court and makeup games. We shouldn't be waiting until we've had a week plus of practice or say that we aren't willing to play back-to-back games with an opponent. Just suck it up and let's go. It's not these other teams' fault that we got COVID and they should be given the opportunity to play a top 25 team if at all possible. We are good enough that playing back-to-back games against many of these teams shouldn't be viewed as some huge hurdle. I ain't scared of any of them.

2 hours ago, kshoe said:

Here are my thoughts:

1) We should play a tournament if at all possible. It gives all the teams something to play the rest of the season for and the A-10 has a long history of getting an extra NCAA bid by the two favorites not winning the conference tourney.

2) It doesn't make much sense to play in Barclays if fans aren't allowed. And there is no way fans will be allowed in NYC any time soon.

3) If there are southern locations (i.e. Charlotte) with large arenas that are available and 25% of fans could go, that might make sense.

4) If that doesn't work, just play on campus somewhere. People need to stop worrying about whether something is 100% fair or 100% perfect and understand that this season is like no other. Some things are going to be different and just suck it up and deal with it.

5) I kind of feel the same mindset should be had by our coaches when it comes to getting back on the court and makeup games. We shouldn't be waiting until we've had a week plus of practice or say that we aren't willing to play back-to-back games with an opponent. Just suck it up and let's go. It's not these other teams' fault that we got COVID and they should be given the opportunity to play a top 25 team if at all possible. We are good enough that playing back-to-back games against many of these teams shouldn't be viewed as some huge hurdle. I ain't scared of any of them.

-great post, thanks

4 hours ago, JettFlight5 said:

I'm taking the low hanging fruit here, but do fans ever go to Rose Hill?

Yes, sometimes.  The place allegedly seats 3,200, has 9 rows on one sideline, 14 on the other, and 25 behind each basket.  Restrooms are in the adjoining student union.

Our son, the Fordham alumnus, claims Rose Hill Gym has the only stained glass windows in College Basketball.

2 hours ago, kshoe said:

Here are my thoughts:

Agree with all of this, except I would add that this season I have absolutely no concern about fans seeing the games live. Mitigate as much risk as possible. If that means no fans, so be it. Keep the unwashed masses - or even fractions of them - as far away from the teams as you can. The players have sacrificed a lot this season, so can we.

billikenfan05 and SLU_Lax like this