2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

rankings shouldn’t exist until game 8 imo 

gives a false sense of good wins before teams even have a resume to determine who was over or underrated. 

we may be top though. I wouldn’t discount it. There seems to be huge conference bias in the rankings for big 10, SEC and ACC where teams are highly overanked. 

21 turnovers would cost us against a healthy team. Not discounting the win but NC state is without 2 of their top 6 and had a small bench which we clearly capitalized on. A win against Minnesota however will solidify us 

Well when we beat LSU we were missing 2 of our top 8.  

SLU_Nick and Fan Guy like this

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Roy, go look at Toppin's offensive numbers last season and then look at Perkin's numbers so far this season.  Now tell me what you see?

perkins is not obi.   i dont care what the numbers say.   

1 minute ago, slufanskip said:

Is it relevant in terms of being worn down? 

-could be, we know our team has at least been practicing and CFord thought on Tuesday we looked tired even with the break we had, NC ST had Covid issues so I don't know how much practice their guys got and a longer span between games than we did

6 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-could be, we know our team has at least been practicing and CFord thought on Tuesday we looked tired even with the break we had, NC ST had Covid issues so I don't know how much practice their guys got and a longer span between games than we did

That's a good point. 

29 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Ya I was on it earlier. Lost for words.

the format is so bad it gives me a headache to read. the team to the west is better and the sec is weak this year so they might be ok. They often say the a-10 is so weak they would destroy it. record doesnt show that this year a-10 4-0 iirc against sec.

8 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

the format is so bad it gives me a headache to read. the team to the west is better and the sec is weak this year so they might be ok. They often say the a-10 is so weak they would destroy it. record doesnt show that this year a-10 4-0 iirc against sec.

Totally agree on the Tiger Board format. It’s obnoxious. I occasionally go there and read, almost like a psychological experiment, to delve into a world of endless delusions. But I would never post there. Not worth the BS. I get the impression that the collective state of mind on Tiger Board is so fragile that if anybody tips the balance even only slightly, it becomes a cataclysmic event. Would be kinda funny to watch if someone else did it though. Lol

I have been reading posts in this thread, and there appears to be a search for whoever it is that rates or ranks SLU at the highest level. I think this is a mistake. Rankings go up and down. You cannot rely on statistics alone,  and you cannot rely on whoever other teams have beaten to get where they are. Models, even the best of them, are an approximation of reality and they all come with assumptions, made made by whoever created the  model, that may not come true. The very best models include empirical factors relating to how well the team is playing together. Sometimes the results of these models can vary significantly, particularly in the rankings, although their results tend to  get closer together as the season is played.

What I would suggest to do, instead of searching for the most favorable current opinion on SLU, is to follow one or two sources, and their models, throughout the season. Choose whatever sources you prefer to follow. The Wiz's model is excellent, but so are other models. I have chosen TeamRankings as my second model. When you follow two models you get a sense of continuity about  what the models are telling you. The differences between the models, usually relatively small, and the glimpses they give you about future projections are important. Learn to interpret your chosen models. I think this is the best way to go when trying to determine what lies ahead.

At this time the future (this season) looks quite nice for us. For example, as of yesterday 12/18 TR gave us a 64.8% probability of a win over Minn tomorrow. They also gave us the following probabilities to win for the rest of the season: 60.1% against Rich 1/29, 57.4% over VCU 2/25, and 69.9% over Rich 2/26. Remember that the more distant probabilities will change the most in the course of the season. Please keep in mind that, according to TR's projections, our most difficult remaining game may well be VCU 2/25. And yes, these are just favorable estimates, not reality. Models are not reality, and neither is probability, but they do tell you something important to know and follow.

So, yes, it does look that this may well be a great season for SLU, from the way it looked yesterday. Now, all we have to do is to  play all those games and beat them all. Does this mean we will go to sweet 16 or better at the Dance, it is just way too early to say. However, it is looking like it may be possible to get there this year, that is, if the planets align in the right direction, and the miserable virus leaves us alone.

13 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

The best part is them talking about not “selling out” Chaifetz, when the average attendance at Mizzou Arena is about 12. So hilariously hypocritical.

It’s a real shame their barn burner against Prairie View A&M today is cancelled. They’d have had standing room only for that one.