2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, brianstl said:

I am over being upset about programs like Notre Dame not playing us.  We could pick up the phone right now and get Loyola to show up and play us on a date we determine at Chaifetz. Loyola is going to be a better team than Notre Dame this season.  

If we don’t end up scheduling another game against a good team and end up with a with a resume damaged by a crap OOC schedule, the blame belongs on Ford and the program.  Can’t complain about programs avoiding good non P5 teams when you are doing the same thing.

Do we really think that the selection committee will see a win over Loyola as a needle mover? I think we are going to win a ton of games in conference and we shouldnt accept a team that isnt top 40-30 because we dont need to. Also, if a team like loyola loses a few games in conference, they will be even more of a non-mover to the committee (drop in NET, Kenpom, etc).

9 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Do we really think that the selection committee will see a win over Loyola as a needle mover? I think we are going to win a ton of games in conference and we shouldnt accept a team that isnt top 40-30 because we dont need to. Also, if a team like loyola loses a few games in conference, they will be even more of a non-mover to the committee (drop in NET, Kenpom, etc).

A win over Loyola at home would move the needle for NET rankings the same as LSU.  They both would be quadrant 2 wins right now.  Unless we get a top 30 team to play us anywhere or we agree to go on the road against another team like Loyola ranked between 31-75, we aren't going to get a better tournament resume game.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

A win over Loyola at home would move the needle for NET rankings the same as LSU.  They both would be quadrant 2 wins right now.  Unless we get a top 30 team to play us anywhere or we agree to go on the road against another team like Loyola ranked between 31-75, we aren't going to get a better tournament resume game.

Looking at loyola's schedule - if they lose a couple games I dont think they will be a top 75 NET team. I think we need to schedule a power conference team (power 5 + BE, AAC) or just keep it as is.

I didn't see this posted yet, so I'm sorry if it's been mentioned - a bunch more game times have been posted. Basically the rest of the non-conference schedule and a few more A10 games, including the first 2.

Still waiting on the Bonaventure date in Olean, and still hoping for one more quality non-conference game.

3 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

Looking at loyola's schedule - if they lose a couple games I dont think they will be a top 75 NET team. I think we need to schedule a power conference team (power 5 + BE, AAC) or just keep it as is.

How many games do you think they will lose?  They can lose 5 regular season games against their present schedule and would still be a top 50 team according to T-Rank.

5 minutes ago, brianstl said:

How many games do you think they will lose?  They can lose 5 regular season games against their present schedule and would still be a top 50 team according to T-Rank.

I was just assuming they are about 50 NET right now, and other than UNI everyone in the MVC is 100-300. So I was just thinking that if they lose 2 or 3 games to a Illinois st, Valpo, or SIUC they will drop significantly (20-30+ spots). I am also interested into how much the committee is going to use NET/deviate from their standard process given this year's scheduling chaos.

5 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

I was just assuming they are about 50 NET right now, and other than UNI everyone in the MVC is 100-300. So I was just thinking that if they lose 2 or 3 games to a Illinois st, Valpo, or SIUC they will drop significantly (20-30+ spots). I am also interested into how much the committee is going to use NET/deviate from their standard process given this year's scheduling chaos.

According to T-Rank........

If Loyola goes 5-5 in their Quad 2 games and wins out in their Q3 and Q4 games, they are projected to finish with a NET ranking around 28 and to be a 12th seed in the NCAA Tournament.  Throw in an extra loss in a Q3 game like @Valpo and their projected NET is around 29 and the first team out of the NCAA tournament.  These scenarios don't include conference tournaments.

The awesome thing about the T-Rank page is you can click on any team and run projections on what happens if they win or lose certain games.

A10Ref likes this

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

SLU comes in 27th with 94 votes

Teams ahead of us this week.

#25 Louisville plays #4 Wisconsin

#24 SDSU plays #23 ASU -  important. 

#26 Michigan plays NC state

Louisville and Wisconsin just got cancelled.

I'd give Arkansas a look. Per kenpom, they have no top 100 games on their non conference schedule. It's a game that could be a long bus trip (for either team) if there are concerns about flying. They're ranked 43rd in kenpom. As Brian said, Loyola is a good option too. I would hope we are willing to travel for the game. One non conference road game (assuming it's not canceled) is also not a good look.

BilliesBy40 likes this

3 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-is it too early to be skeptical about the sincerity of our Covid scheduling efforts? seems like other teams are able to get games and we can't

I think the only A10 team we can compare to is Richmond (can beat anyone anywhere). If they start adding teams left and right, then yes I would be more skeptical.

5 minutes ago, A10Ref said:

I think the only A10 team we can compare to is Richmond (can beat anyone anywhere). If they start adding teams left and right, then yes I would be more skeptical.

Richmond caught a break.  They were scheduled to play Kentucky months before all this COVID reshuffling.  They were one of the few mid-majors to have their signature non-con game left intact.  Their current top 20 ranking is based on knocking off a Kentucky team that everyone now sees is not ready for primetime.  So any preferential scheduling treatment will be based on that top 20 ranking. 

We're one of many unlucky mid-majors whose signature non-con games were lost to the reshuffle.  We're not ranked in the top 25 currently and we'll need losses by teams in front of us and immediately behind us to get there.  

28 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-is it too early to be skeptical about the sincerity of our Covid scheduling efforts? seems like other teams are able to get games and we can't

I have no doubt the staff is trying to get another good game, but I am wondering if we wouldn’t have been better off leaving another open spot or two in our schedule so we’d be more able to jump when an opportunity presented itself. For example, did we really need central Arkansas on the schedule this week? With all of the scheduling shuffles, seems like we could’ve gotten at least the same quality of game last minute but may have increased our chances of snagging a better opponent if we’d have originally left the week open.