4th in 3pt FG%

30th in 2pt FG%

4th in assists per game

4th in assist to turnover ratio

9th in rebounding percentage 

5th in points per game

1st in offensive efficiency 

8th in margin of victory 

NET ranking has been streamlined to include two components: quality of opponent and adjusted efficiency. Our quality of opponent will be poor but our efficiency will be elite.  I assume more weight will be given to quality of opponent but we'll see in a couple of weeks when the NET rankings come out.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

brian those national ranking stats are pretty cool.   i plan to use those when talking to acquaintences this week that arent quite billiken fans .........yet.   

brianstl likes this

I am over being upset about programs like Notre Dame not playing us.  We could pick up the phone right now and get Loyola to show up and play us on a date we determine at Chaifetz. Loyola is going to be a better team than Notre Dame this season.  

If we don’t end up scheduling another game against a good team and end up with a with a resume damaged by a crap OOC schedule, the blame belongs on Ford and the program.  Can’t complain about programs avoiding good non P5 teams when you are doing the same thing.

dlarry, billiken_roy and Bills71 like this

great point Brian.   the billikens should play the best teams that will play.   if the name brands are afraid to step up the likes of loyola, or northern iowa or some other high flying mid major should be our goto instead of the likes of last night.   lets work on upgrading the overall personna of this non conference schedule.   3 wins versus loyola like teams would likely do wonders to our overall rankings at the end.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Here are some crazy stats.  We rank...

1st in effective FG%
3rd in overall FG%

4th in 3pt FG%

30th in 2pt FG%

4th in assists per game

5th in points per game

8th in margin of victory 

In all of D-1?  Wow. Rebound % we should be higher n would be if HF played all 3 games. 

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I am over being upset about programs like Notre Dame not playing us.  We could pick up the phone right now and get Loyola to show up and play us on a date we determine at Chaifetz. Loyola is going to be a better team than Notre Dame this season.  

If we don’t end up scheduling another game against a good team and end up with a with a resume damaged by a crap OOC schedule, the blame belongs on Ford and the program.  Can’t complain about programs avoiding good non P5 teams when you are doing the same thing.

if that's true then I don't blame this coaching staff for waiting until the last possible minute to schedule that game.  If I was in that position, I would want to schedule the highest rated mid major I could.  There will be more relevant data to make that decision after the first NET rankings are released than there is today.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

Here are some crazy stats.  We rank...

1st in effective FG%
3rd in overall FG%

4th in 3pt FG%

30th in 2pt FG%

4th in assists per game

5th in points per game

8th in margin of victory 

I'd assume the 7 teams ahead of us in margin of victory haven't played a top 25 team. 

35 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Where do you get your info that we are avoiding good non power 5 teams or that we could get Loyola to show up and play us on a date we determine? 

majerus mojo and SLU_Nick like this

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

if that's true then I don't blame this coaching staff for waiting until the last possible minute to schedule that game.  If I was in that position, I would want to schedule the highest rated mid major I could.  There will be more relevant data to make that decision after the first NET rankings are released than there is today.

Loyola has two games scheduled between now and December 27th.  My guess is that SLU is slowing playing programs like Loyola as you suggest in hopes of landing a bigger name game.  The problem with that is the clock is ticking and there are multiple reasons why programs like Loyola might not be available when SLU is ready to take that plunge.  We better hope the Minnesota game doesn’t get torpedoed.

4 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Others have mentioned it but I have absolutely loved Jacobs through 3 games. He has a ton of talent, it was just a matter of him not being consistent game to game last year but so far this year he’s been great every game. I believe Bess mentioned on the House that Rick Built pod that he thought Jacobs was the 2nd most talented player on the 18-19 team. 

Bizziken and majerus mojo like this

5 minutes ago, Compton said:

Thinking there's a decent chance SLU and Mizzou are ranked right next to each other tomorrow.

I just don’t see it. They’re 3-0, but neither the Oregon or Wichita State win are as good as they appear. Plus they were picked 10th in the SEC, a lot more ground to make up.

1 minute ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Everyone should be mentally prepared for Mizzou to outrank us tomorrow.

Why? Honestly? I don’t know where everyone is getting this from. They’ve beaten Oral Roberts, Oregon without their starting point guard or Figueroa and a Wichita State team that fired their coach just before the season. How is any of that any more impressive than what SLU has done? And SLU was already receiving votes last week.

1 minute ago, Reinert310 said:

Why? Honestly? I don’t know where everyone is getting this from. They’ve beaten Oral Roberts, Oregon without their starting point guard or Figueroa and a Wichita State team that fired their coach just before the season. How is any of that any more impressive than what SLU has done? And SLU was already receiving votes last week.

We already beat a better SEC team than Mizzou without French or Thatch. I just don’t understand why people are so high on Mizzou’s 3 wins. They were fine, but nothing spectacular.

SLU will probably be the first or second team out, Mizzou will be in the 30-35 zone where we were to start the season. If Mizzou manages to somehow beat Liberty and Illinois, then they will deserve to be ranked. They are better than I thought they’d be but SLU is a much better team. Would probably beat Mizzou by double digits 

2 minutes ago, almaman said:

Neither in my lifetime or I'm guessing in the foreseeable future beating Ark Pine Bluff and SIUE is a feat that can't possibly be termed impressive.

No, but winning by 53, shooting 65% from both the field and from 3, with your regulars barely playing in the 2nd half in 1 game, shooting 45% from the field and from 3 while winning by 37 in another,  being 1st in the country in offensive efficiency, 1st in the country in effective field goal percentage, 3rd in overall field goal percentage, 4th 3 point percentage, 4th in assists, 4th in assist-turnover ratio, 9th in rebound percentage, I’d consider that pretty impressive.

slufanskip likes this