2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, AnkielBreakers said:

Maybe someone can explain to me why it seems that everyone else in the A10 can schedule a ranked team, but we cannot this year. I can think of some reasons, but it still doesn’t really make sense.

The Tourney the Bills were in, in which they could have faced Michigan State and/or Gonzaga, booted them and/or fell apart.

A10Ref likes this

Maybe someone can explain to me why it seems that everyone else in the A10 can schedule a ranked team, but we cannot this year. I can think of some reasons, but it still doesn’t really make sense.

We were in MTE with a couple of ranked teams in it.  We got COVIDed out of it.  We haven't been able to find a ranked replacement.  To compare apples to apples, you would have to find an A10 team who had a ranked opponent, lost one to COVID concerns and was able to replace with a ranked opponent.

A10Ref likes this

42 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

We were in MTE with a couple of ranked teams in it.  We got COVIDed out of it.  We haven't been able to find a ranked replacement.  To compare apples to apples, you would have to find an A10 team who had a ranked opponent, lost one to COVID concerns and was able to replace with a ranked opponent.

That is a good point, but I thought everyone’s schedule was blown up and we all had to start from scratch. I thought the MTE was our original schedule. I was assuming that all A10 teams had to find new opponents about 1 month before the season, and found ranked teams. It was just us?

That is a good point, but I thought everyone’s schedule was blown up and we all had to start from scratch. I thought the MTE was our original schedule. I was assuming that all A10 teams had to find new opponents about 1 month before the season, and found ranked teams. It was just us?

I share your frustration and do wonder if sometimes we get too picky looking for good games in search of the top 25 opponent when maybe someone in the 40-70 range is available. It's hard to know without being an insider.

But I do think we are at a geographical disadvantage compared to most A-10 schools. For example, how many top 75 programs could be found within a 3 hour bus ride from Philadelphia vs. St. Louis? If you extend out to 5 hours we get a bunch more schools but I wouldn't go too much further than that. 5 hours from Philly is basically the entire Northeast Coast. With budgets stretched thin I don't know how many schools, including SLU, are doing chartered flights on two days notice so maybe bus travel is a pre-requisite right now?

I am still hopeful that we'll figure out a way to get one or two more name opponents before all is said and done. 

3star_recruit likes this

28 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Notre Dame has decided to play sub 200 ranked Detroit Mercy on Sunday instead of SLU.

When you put out a Twitter note that you'll play anyone and then don't return calls, likely from many schools including SLU, and end up with Detroit Mercy that is the definition of WEAK.

On 12/3/2020 at 2:00 PM, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I've defended you in this forum, but — man — this post makes you look pretty ditzy!  In the post you've replied to, @almaman quoted a post about Carroll College changing to Carroll University and had nothing to do with the initial AP poll.  This suggests you're not really reading the board.  Yeah, you might be a bot, if you're not just ditzy.

As you know I am in the ignore list for a lot of people, and a lot of people are in my ignore list. Whatever almaman says is no business of mine, and the same goes for a lot of other people. So, I follow the board but only those posts that I care to follow, the rest say nothing worthwhile for me to read.

HoosierPal likes this

7 minutes ago, willie said:

Assuming we are a top 30 team currently why won’t a power 6 team ranked below that not want to play us?

Until we are ranked those Power 6 fanbases will have no idea how good we are and expect their team to win hands down. It’s all about the optics for those schools, and they know we would likely be favored. Maybe when we get a number next to our name it will be easier for Coach to schedule another game

SLU_Lax likes this

2 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Until we are ranked those Power 6 fanbases will have no idea how good we are and expect their team to win hands down. 

But they can clearly see were right there in the mix of ranked teams. I do wonder if they worry about upsetting their fan base by playing and losing a game that they thought would be a mid major win 

20 minutes ago, willie said:

Assuming we are a top 30 team currently why won’t a power 6 team ranked below that not want to play us?

This is what has been bugging me. I guess no one wants to be our springboard, and we look to much like an 800lb gorilla? I can see where Richmond, a great team, looks easier than us, because we will dominate the boards and they will lose them by 5-10. It makes me feel like the only competition who would accept us is the top 5, and I would love to see that matchup, but we just can’t get it scheduled.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Ford argues that the NET should be scrapped this year. We’re just going to have to tear thru the conf schedule w/no freak losses. That should make our case. 

I'd argue that it's easier to knock off a 2 seed in the second round of the NCAA tournament than to go 16-2 in the A-10 to avoid playing that 2 seed.

17 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

Look around the country, many teams are losing games that would have padded their resumes not just SLU. Grab one of those teams that lost a game as well. If not, just win the damn A10.

The problem is these teams want another game but not with us.  they simply want to pick and choose and if they don't get the perfect set up then they pass according to Ford.

Here are some crazy stats.  We rank...

1st in effective FG%
3rd in overall FG%

4th in 3pt FG%

30th in 2pt FG%

4th in assists per game

4th in assist to turnover ratio

9th in rebounding percentage 

5th in points per game

1st in offensive efficiency 

8th in margin of victory