2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Yep.  Okoro played in Oregon's games last season in February & March.  I know he was dealing with injury and family issues, but as far as I know this isn't an injury that prevents him from playing.  I think the plan of taking a season off was just to make sure he could get back into 100% shape mentally & physically.

If, God forbid, French goes down with a season ending injury or has lingering concussion issues in February or something, why wouldn't you want to at least have the option of using Okoro.  Because of the extra COVID year, Okoro wouldn't be losing any future eligibility.

i think okoro has surgery since coming to saint louis university.  

2 hours ago, A10Ref said:

Okoro is going to be a game changer... It's not fun to see him sitting on the bench with that massive frame and upside, but I love our team's makeup this year and for years to come.

This is best year ever to have to sit with very good gift under the tree till next Christmas.

6 hours ago, Old guy said:

Much older than that, 71 years ago. Everyone that voted in that poll is probably gone by now.

I've defended you in this forum, but — man — this post makes you look pretty ditzy!  In the post you've replied to, @almaman quoted a post about Carroll College changing to Carroll University and had nothing to do with the initial AP poll.  This suggests you're not really reading the board.  Yeah, you might be a bot, if you're not just ditzy.

4 hours ago, wgstl said:

Yep, and no need for him.  Not sure he would play much this year if at all, and would only risk not being 100% next year. 

Unless French has further concussion issues or one of the other bigs gets injured.  If Okoro can get in game shape, the waiver would give the Billikens a nice insurance policy.

TRN and RUBillsFan like this

I saw the tweet and it does no harm to have another 6’9” body available.  Who knows if we get into the tournament in March and could use his athleticism to defend and rebound for a spell.  If he’s healthy it’s bonus depth, something we haven’t had a lot of in the past.

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I don’t see a problem in Okoro suiting up this year, if he’s fully healthy. He’s not losing a year because of the NCAA extension, and he would give us an insurance policy on the inside. 

I'd rather have a 100% healthy werewolf waiting  to replace French for 2 years than lose a tear as a backup 

29 minutes ago, almaman said:

assuming we don't have 2 of our top 8 guys out that often we already have too many players chasing the 200 minutes. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

I'd rather have a 100% healthy werewolf waiting  to replace French for 2 years than lose a tear as a backup 

We’ve had 2 of our top 8 out for a pretty long stretch now, so we certainly can’t assume this won’t continue, and no eligibility is lost. There’s a reason they didn’t pursue his immediate release, but neither of these have anything to do with it. 

Has the NCAA addressed scholarship limits?  Each team is allowed 13 scholarship players per year.  I know Okoro counts as one right now as he redshirts which maxes us out per current roster limits.  What about next year and the years beyond?  If all 13 return, you'd technically have no room to offer and add freshmen next year.  That would apply to any school that is full up on scholarship limits this year providing no one left.  Around the A10, Davidson sits at 11; Umass, the Bonnies  and St. Joe's are at 12, and all others are full.  Except Duquesne which lists 15 scholarship players and Mason which lists 14.  Which last i saw was somewhat illegal.

cgeldmacher likes this

Those first two games seem like weeks ago.  I'm ready for tomorrow and really looking forward to seeing Has, even if against PB.  I want to see him start adding to his Blocks record and see how much his FT shooting has improved. 

If Fred isn't 101% ready, I would opt for keeping him off the court until we are certain there is no chance of a re-injury.  We are going to need his D as we play some better teams, such as when we face the excellent guard on MINN (I am drawing a blank on his name right now).

26 minutes ago, bauman said:

Those first two games seem like weeks ago.  I'm ready for tomorrow and really looking forward to seeing Has, even if against PB.  I want to see him start adding to his Blocks record and see how much his FT shooting has improved. 

If Fred isn't 101% ready, I would opt for keeping him off the court until we are certain there is no chance of a re-injury.  We are going to need his D as we play some better teams, such as when we face the excellent guard on MINN (I am drawing a blank on his name right now).

Marcus Carr

bauman likes this

14 hours ago, slu72 said:

I don’t see a problem in Okoro suiting up this year, if he’s fully healthy. He’s not losing a year because of the NCAA extension, and he would give us an insurance policy on the inside. 

We've got 3 centers and Hargrove spent a little time there last year. We seem pretty well insured at this point. 

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Has anyone checked out the women’s schedule. They have Mizzery (cancelled or postponed), Memphis, Tulsa, Bradley. Travis would sell his first born (figure of speech) for those kind of games. 

There are a number of mid-major mens programs in a similar position to ours when it comes to schedule.  In the next couple of weeks, those programs may be forced to play each other if they want another quality opponent in the nonconference. 

9 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

There are a number of mid-major mens programs in a similar position to ours when it comes to schedule.  In the next couple of weeks, those programs may be forced to play each other if they want another quality opponent in the nonconference. 

Rhody's game at W. Kentucky got Covided.  The Rams are off until Dec 18.  We only play them once in A10, here, so why not take a charter up north and play them in an OOC.  Guarantee their NET will be much higher than Ark PB, Evansville, SIUE, and Central Ark when it is all over.

59 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Has anyone checked out the women’s schedule. They have Mizzery (cancelled or postponed), Memphis, Tulsa, Bradley. Travis would sell his first born (figure of speech) for those kind of games. 

They're playing Memphis tonight at 6 pm on ESPN+

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I'm assuming it is easier to schedule big names in WBB because there is much less money involved.  All of the upper level MBB teams (SLU included) play a very limited number of true road games in the OOC schedule.  This is because #1 they want as many home games as possible to maximize revenue and #2 they are usually involved in an MTE or OOC tournament.  I'd imagine most upper level MBB teams play 2 or fewer true road games.  This leads to a situation where OOC schedules for upper level MBB programs are loaded with cupcake buy games with a few matchups against actual good teams.  WBB schedules are a lot more balanced because all of the upper level programs aren't trying to pack the OOC with home games and there are fewer (no?) MTEs.