2020-21 Season

5 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

I mean if we beat Minn and drop ~3 games in conference play I don’t see why we wouldn’t garner a 5-7 seed, especially if we get ranked and stay ranked 

Agree with this. I guess I’m more optimistic than most. 

Does anyone know...In the past, when there’s been disagreement between RPI/BPI vs. the AP Poll, which of those rankings has been most accurate in predicting seeding? 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, MichaelC said:

First of all, it cannot be overstated that any ratings, rankings, etc. at this point in the proceedings are mostly guesswork. This would be true in a normal season let alone a season in which there is no way to know for certain which future scheduled games will actually be played and what new games may pop up on the fly.  

The BPI currently has SLUs strength of schedule ranking at 116 and a conference record of roughly 10-7, those are guesses based on a computer simulation of the entire season and no simulation can take into account all of the intangibles in sports. Based on a description of the model they used (below), I'm still guessing that the OOC schedule is the reason for the lower than expected ranking. 

The College Basketball Power Index (BPI) is a measure of team strength that is meant to be the best predictor of performance going forward. BPI represents how many points above or below average a team is. Strength of Record (SOR) is a measure of team accomplishment based on how difficult a team's W-L record is to achieve. Game predictions account for opponent strength, pace of play, site, travel distance, day's rest and altitude, and are used to simulate the season 10,000 times to produce season projections. Numbers update daily.

I think you may be slightly mixing up the order of operations from your explanation above. They do not use future games (our OOC schedule) to derive the BPI. They use BPI to predict future games. The only variables that impact BPI are things that have already happened. So only the strength of schedule of games we've already played (SIUE and LSU) impact the SOS variable that goes into the BPI ranking. It's possible that our poor OOC schedule will impact our future BPI, but it does not impact the ranking today.

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

This is part of the triumvirate of strange distinctions held by SLU athletics.

1. We were #1 in the first AP college basketball poll.  This happened in 1949.  It was the season after we won the NIT.  It is part of the argument for the idea that we won the national championship in 1948 by winning the NIT, as opposed to Kentucky winning the national championship by winning the NCAA tournament.

2. We completed the first forward pass in college football.  My understanding is that when the rule changed to allow it, everyone was scheduled to play on Saturday.  SLU and the team they were playing, don't know who it was, saw that really bad weather was coming the following day, so they moved the game to Friday night.  I'm sure the two programs knew the ramifications of moving the game, and I'm sure other teams weren't happy when they found out.  Either way, we probably won the coin toss and then put ourselves in the history books.

3. SLU won the one and only gold medal awarded at the Olympics for American Football.  American Football was an exhibition sport at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis.  Since no other countries played American Football, club and college teams signed up and competed.  SLU won the competition and was awarded gold medals for their effort.

I think I saw a video where it talked about how the rule changed and no one really cared and SLU happened to try it first.

5 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I think I could watch games on ESPN+ last season that were also on FSMW and I live in St. Louis County.  I could be remembering incorrectly or just thinking of games that weren't on FSMW though.

Does anyone remember games actually being blacked out on ESPN+ last season?

I believe you are right.  If I understand correctly, any SLU game that is not picked up by another national network (CBS, FS1, CBSSN, or NBCSN) should be on ESPN+ through the A10’s contract with ESPN.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

We were not a better team than Kentucky or Maryland in either of those matchups.  What I'm saying is this time around we're the Maryland in a 7/10 game: we would be the underseeded team nobody wants to play. 

We're simply not going to have the schedule strength to get a 6 seed unless Coach Ford can pull a top 20  nonconference opponent out of his hat.

I don't agree with this at all. Taken to the extreme, if we run the table, we'd be a 2 or 3 seed. I'm not saying that will happen but even a few losses and we'd still be in the 6 seed range.

The bottom of the A-10 sucks as usual, but Richmond is going to have national respect based solely on the UK win. Dayton already has respect. As long as those two are near the top of the A-10 we'll have at least 4 opportunities for needle moving wins.

And for those worried about the eye test, don't forget we've got a bunch of Friday night games on ESPN TV stations with no other college games competing against us. There will be plenty of opportunities for national peeps to sing our praises.

p.s. Even though I just engaged in it, I think worrying about rankings and seeds and stuff like that two games into the season is kind of silly. It'll all work out as long as we win.

6 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I don't agree with this at all. Taken to the extreme, if we run the table, we'd be a 2 or 3 seed. I'm not saying that will happen but even a few losses and we'd still be in the 6 seed range.

The bottom of the A-10 sucks as usual, but Richmond is going to have national respect based solely on the UK win. Dayton already has respect. As long as those two are near the top of the A-10 we'll have at least 4 opportunities for needle moving wins.

And for those worried about the eye test, don't forget we've got a bunch of Friday night games on ESPN TV stations with no other college games competing against us. There will be plenty of opportunities for national peeps to sing our praises.

p.s. Even though I just engaged in it, I think worrying about rankings and seeds and stuff like that two games into the season is kind of silly. It'll all work out as long as we win.

just what I was thinking but better said  and easier 4me.

Running the table is like those foam # 1's every school has them but even thinking about being that is ludicrous for 300 of the 3whatever it is now hundred D-1 teams. For us not that silly this season imo. doesn't seem like we'll play 30 games pre conference tournament. 25 now and that's if no other cv19 torpedoes. so that knocks 1/6th of the games off the table. OOC schedule laughable. thank god it's all D-1. Only 2 tough ones and the toughest we've already beat. no crowds surely same for all teams but seems like that favors us especially in regards to Has throws. Conference is much better this year but none have the level depth and experience we do.   If we do keep avoiding losing I see us getting vote next week. Top 25 after St Paul trip only road game in OOC also laughable. If we come home streak intact after Philly close to mid teens. End of January closing in on top 10.

of course 1 loss torpedoes that. a few more and we're back to starting to need to win the conference championship to guarantee. cool aid slushies go good with Wednesday afternoon football :)

4 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

I mean if we beat Minn and drop ~3 games in conference play I don’t see why we wouldn’t garner a 5-7 seed, especially if we get ranked and stay ranked 

The ranking that matters most is the NET ranking.  The first one comes out in two weeks.  To be in the hunt for a 7 seed or better, we need to finish the the top 25 of the NET rankings.  We already know from last year that winning games against cupcakes often drops you in those rankings.  All but one of the games on our remaining nonconference schedule are cupcakes or semi-cupcakes. 

The voter-driven polls are nice PR for our program but when it comes to seeding mid-majors, the polls are largely ignored.  In NET ranking land, we're one bad conference loss away from being a 10 seed.  Which as I've already stated, wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. 

5 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

This is part of the triumvirate of strange distinctions held by SLU athletics.

1. We were #1 in the first AP college basketball poll.  This happened in 1949.  It was the season after we won the NIT.  It is part of the argument for the idea that we won the national championship in 1948 by winning the NIT, as opposed to Kentucky winning the national championship by winning the NCAA tournament.

2. We completed the first forward pass in college football.  My understanding is that when the rule changed to allow it, everyone was scheduled to play on Saturday.  SLU and the team they were playing, don't know who it was, saw that really bad weather was coming the following day, so they moved the game to Friday night.  I'm sure the two programs knew the ramifications of moving the game, and I'm sure other teams weren't happy when they found out.  Either way, we probably won the coin toss and then put ourselves in the history books.

3. SLU won the one and only gold medal awarded at the Olympics for American Football.  American Football was an exhibition sport at the 1904 World's Fair in St. Louis.  Since no other countries played American Football, club and college teams signed up and competed.  SLU won the competition and was awarded gold medals for their effort.

The forward pass game was against Carroll College (Waukesha, WI) - my parents both went there! Also, it recently changed names to Carroll University. 

i got the impression the billikens want okoro to take the year off to allow full recovery from his surgery and to let him be the step in replacement for french next year and have a full 2 years as their starter.   

he wont activate this year.

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i got the impression the billikens want okoro to take the year off to allow full recovery from his surgery and to let him be the step in replacement for french next year and have a full 2 years as their starter.   

he wont activate this year.

Yep, and no need for him.  Not sure he would play much this year if at all, and would only risk not being 100% next year. 

14 minutes ago, DOC said:

Unless Okoro's injury is such that there is no way he could play this season, I found it odd that SLU didn't apply for the waiver. There is nothing to lose.  

Yep.  Okoro played in Oregon's games last season in February & March.  I know he was dealing with injury and family issues, but as far as I know this isn't an injury that prevents him from playing.  I think the plan of taking a season off was just to make sure he could get back into 100% shape mentally & physically.

If, God forbid, French goes down with a season ending injury or has lingering concussion issues in February or something, why wouldn't you want to at least have the option of using Okoro.  Because of the extra COVID year, Okoro wouldn't be losing any future eligibility.