2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I apologize because I'm sure the answer is probably on a previous page in this thread but will this game also be on ESPN+? If so, will it be blacked out in STL? I recall reading that most, if not all, of these non-con games would be on ESPN+ and they were hoping additional networks would pick them up along the way.

not sure but I thought fsn games are not on espn+ in the STL area, so yes blacked out. 

32 minutes ago, Adman said:

So much discussion of rankings the last few days, thought I’d throw a trivia question out.

Which team was ranked #1 in the very first week of the very first year of the revered AP poll?

Try to guess without researching.

Sorry if this question was frustratingly hard. I didn’t know the answer until this last weekend and I’ve been a fan of this team for at least 50 years. 

Here’s the answer:

https://www.espn.com/espn/wire?section=ncb&id=19032638

49 minutes ago, Adman said:

So much discussion of rankings the last few days, thought I’d throw a trivia question out.

Which team was ranked #1 in the very first week of the very first year of the revered AP poll?

The Saint Louis University Billikens. The Original Big Blue.

57 minutes ago, Adman said:

I only knew this because I think it was when we made the top 10 during last year with the Majerus kids it was mentioned how we have the longest drought since being ranked number 1 with the first time being first year of AP poll.  I think it was then or another time shortly after that was mentioned several times.  

Adman likes this

3 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

I only knew this because I think it was when we made the top 10 during last year with the Majerus kids it was mentioned how we have the longest drought since being ranked number 1 with the first time being first year of AP poll.  I think it was then or another time shortly after that was mentioned several times.  

There's a record that will stay ours and keep growing.

5 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Except that anyone with any sense (in my opinion) would shorten Southeast Louisiana to SELA or SELU.

My wife graduated from Southeastern.  To her it was always SLU.  She was surprised to see SELA.

12 minutes ago, almaman said:

There's a record that will stay ours and keep growing.

No reason why not.

We’ve done it once. Gonzaga makes a habit of it.

By the way, this first AP poll was published Jan 17, 1949 when the Bills were 11-0, on their way to 22-4 and a national championship.

8 minutes ago, Adman said:

No reason why not.

We’ve done it once. Gonzaga makes a habit of it.

By the way, this first AP poll was published Jan 17, 1949 when the Bills were 11-0, on their way to 22-4 and a national championship.

Didn't we win the NIT in 1948? The #1 ranking was the year after we won the NIT and were 11-0. 

1 minute ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I switched to ATT TV. Big $$ savings. 

From Matt Norlander on CBS website talking about Bubbleville in CT.

Schools even as late as Tuesday afternoon were still inquiring about trying to squeeze in a game; one source said Saint Louis was one of them. But the time has just about run out for any late-stage arrangements. There's a fine line between accommodating as many schools as is reasonably possible and flirting with danger. Bubbleville will come to a close on Saturday. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/how-mohegan-suns-bubbleville-set-a-template-for-how-college-basketballs-season-and-postseason-can-work/

3 hours ago, kshoe said:

Didn't we win the NIT in 1948? The #1 ranking was the year after we won the NIT and were 11-0. 

Yes, my mistake. #1 ranking was in 1949 (48-49 season,) the year after. The Bills were voted #1 twice (week of Jan 17 and again the following week,) then voted #2 for the next four weeks, then #3 the last week of the season, with final season ranking of #3.

11 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

Is this a for sure thing do we know?

I seem to recall last year if we were on FSMW we weren’t on ESPN+. I may be wrong. I have both so per our schedule I’ll only miss the last game at STB’s. No TV listed. Does that mean St B has no local TV. Interesting to see we’re on ESPN for 3 games; 2 Richmond and 1 Dayton. 

7 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

Is this a for sure thing do we know?

After gobillsgo's post, I did a little research. It would appear very likely that what he says is true. Espn+ has to honor the media rights holder and enforce a blackout. Apparently it's done by looking at your IP address, GPS and even the zip code given when signing up for an account, some of that depending on whether you're using a mobile device, or a desktop/laptop computer.

So I was happy to see your earlier post, but I'm prepared to be disappointed.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I seem to recall last year if we were on FSMW we weren’t on ESPN+. I may be wrong. I have both so per our schedule I’ll only miss the last game at STB’s. No TV listed. Does that mean St B has no local TV. Interesting to see we’re on ESPN for 3 games; 2 Richmond and 1 Dayton. 

St. Bonaventure game will be on ESPN+

3 hours ago, White Pelican said:

After gobillsgo's post, I did a little research. It would appear very likely that what he says is true. Espn+ has to honor the media rights holder and enforce a blackout. Apparently it's done by looking at your IP address, GPS and even the zip code given when signing up for an account, some of that depending on whether you're using a mobile device, or a desktop/laptop computer.

So I was happy to see your earlier post, but I'm prepared to be disappointed.

I am hopeful as well since FSMW has been dropped from the streaming services. It really just depends whether they signed an exclusive local broadcast deal with FSMW. Being so late in the game, it is possible that the deal isn't exclusive for streaming. 

7 hours ago, GoBills73 said:

Isn’t there a big jump in year 2 or three? I’m looking at it... didn’t see huge savings against directtv for middle off road package. Also we have  5 TVs so cost per month per box added up. 

I only have 2 tvs.  The first year I see $95 savings per month, year 2 is like $40 savings.  

GoBills73 likes this