2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

- I watched the end of the Gophers' game last night, kid hit a step-back 3 to win the game against Loyola Marymount which it appears they also played on Saturday, Covid strange

-speaking of KenPom, at this point he has Minn with a 60% chance to win our game and expects them to win by 3, they are #36 in his ranking and we are #43 (we were #41 BEFORE the LSU game)

9 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

- I watched the end of the Gophers' game last night, kid hit a step-back 3 to win the game against Loyola Marymount which it appears they also played on Saturday, Covid strange

-speaking of KenPom, at this point he has Minn with a 60% chance to win our game and expects them to win by 3, they are #36 in his ranking and we are #43 (we were #41 BEFORE the LSU game)

This shouldn't be new. KenPom always had SLU like ten spots lower than any other rankings. I mean I'm pretty sure Davidson stayed ahead of us on there the entire season. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I’d take that TX kid Kai Jones in a heartbeat. Ramey wouldn’t be bad either. You think about the St. L kids that have left in the last 2-3 years and you have an NCAA champs dynasty. Ramey, Love, Liddell, Fletcher, et al. Wow! But even so, I love what Travis has assembled and we will be a force come March, and, maybe a run will convince some locals to stay home. No doubt the metro area is a hot bed of some serious talent. 

I was wondering about this. The Lou has to be a better producer of b ball talent than most anywhere else. Only place I’ve ever lived so no firsthand knowledge of anywhere. Back in the day seemed exciting to have a JJ White, Bradley once a decade but this century seems like a ton. Like it used to be in soccer. Hockey also has lots of folks getting to the top.  Ydatb a mystery to me. 

Western Kentucky just had to cancel a Thursday game with Prairie View A&M due to COVID-19 issues in the A&M program and are looking for a replacement.  You'd have to think we'd be interested.  They're a legit top 75 opponent and future lottery pick Charles Bassey is on the radar of every college talking head.

wgstl and MichaelC like this

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Western Kentucky just had to cancel a Thursday game with Prairie View A&M due to COVID-19 issues in the A&M program and are looking for a replacement.  You'd have to think we'd be interested.  They're a legit top 75 opponent and future lottery pick Charles Bassey is on the radar of every college talking head.

Get it done! Meet in the middle and play at Mt. Vernon HS if you have to. 

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Hilltoppers play Louisville today, at Lville.  Their bus just can head west instead of SW.  Bassey is a stud (definitely need French available), but Hollingsworth is their leading scorer after 3 games. 

2 hours ago, Fan Guy said:

This shouldn't be new. KenPom always had SLU like ten spots lower than any other rankings. I mean I'm pretty sure Davidson stayed ahead of us on there the entire season. 

This is only a recent phenomenon.  KenPom had the 2011-12 team (Conklin Sr. year, loss to Michigan State) as the #14 team in the nation.  That was much higher than others as evidence by the #9 seed in the tournament would would mean a ranking in the high 30s.

Since KenPom is based on a formula that he tweaks over time, I suspect there is just something that the formula undervalues last year's team and it is still influencing this season as well.  Perhaps it didn't like our Bully Ball style.

2 hours ago, almaman said:

I was wondering about this. The Lou has to be a better producer of b ball talent than most anywhere else. Only place I’ve ever lived so no firsthand knowledge of anywhere. Back in the day seemed exciting to have a JJ White, Bradley once a decade but this century seems like a ton. Like it used to be in soccer. Hockey also has lots of folks getting to the top.  Ydatb a mystery to me. 

It used to be the Metro east big cities, Chi town, and So Cal were the fertile recruiting grounds. As you said, St L would occasionally have 1 or 2 really good players and then not much. But like in the last 20 years the area’s had an explosion of talent. I’d like to see the NBA breakdown on how states stack up in terms of players home states. Any of you locals have ideas on why this has happened? 

2 minutes ago, slu72 said:

It used to be the Metro east big cities, Chi town, and So Cal were the fertile recruiting grounds. As you said, St L would occasionally have 1 or 2 really good players and then not much. But like in the last 20 years the area’s had an explosion of talent. I’d like to see the NBA breakdown on how states stack up in terms of players home states. Any of you locals have ideas on why this has happened? 

A lot of it has to do with the rise in importance of AAU programs.  Our AAU community, specifically the Beagles, does a better job of player development than a lot of other places.  For example, there are far too many kids who enter Chicago high schools highly rated and don't pan out.

28 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I apologize because I'm sure the answer is probably on a previous page in this thread but will this game also be on ESPN+? If so, will it be blacked out in STL? I recall reading that most, if not all, of these non-con games would be on ESPN+ and they were hoping additional networks would pick them up along the way.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

A lot of it has to do with the rise in importance of AAU programs.  Our AAU community, specifically the Beagles, does a better job of player development than a lot of other places.  For example, there are far too many kids who enter Chicago high schools highly rated and don't pan out.

Good point. Our AAU teams do seem to do well.