2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we could add a top 25-40 team to the schedule it would be awesome. Although, I am fan of these games that we should cruise thru. We have so much young talent that needs playing time. Strickland, Hargrove and Thatch all need significant game time minutes that are going to be hard to come by in close games, and one of the bigs will have his minutes cut when Has comes back. If you want them to stay you have to keep them happy. Playing time matters

kappy96 and BIG BILL FAN like this

8 minutes ago, MattyMo213 said:

I was going through some stats yesterday, reliving the bliss after winning, and saw that the app I use has Jimerson listed as a sophomore and Thatch as a junior. So does the official roster on the website. Did neither of them get redshirts for last year?

They have to apply after their “senior” season.

11 hours ago, DOC said:

If we could add a top 25-40 team to the schedule it would be awesome. Although, I am fan of these games that we should cruise thru. We have so much young talent that needs playing time. Strickland, Hargrove and Thatch all need significant game time minutes that are going to be hard to come by in close games, and one of the bigs will have his minutes cut when Has comes back. If you want them to stay you have to keep them happy. Playing time matters

This is counterintuitive. We need to play the toughest schedule possible. We have a top 15 team. We need to remain focused on playing the best teams we can.

5 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

This is counterintuitive. We need to play the toughest schedule possible. We have a top 15 team. We need to remain focused on playing the best teams we can.

What is counterintuitive is believing that we can get better games this late.  One thing that could happen is that COVID causes cancelations of some games for lots of teams and so they may be trolling for replacements.  The problem with that is we may find ourselves bit by the COVID bug.

12 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

They need to strike a balance.  With such a glut of veteran leadership we aren’t in a position to have to battle test ourselves repeatedly in OOC.  Playing time (like Hargrove got last year against Maryville) is vital to the development of freshman and role players.  Adding one more top 40 opponent would be ideal to go with the existing schedule IMO.

DOC and RUBillsFan like this

30 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Very unlikely top tier team will return Travis’s call after yesterday.  At best we might be able to pick up something against a quad 2 team that is truly desperate for a chance to make a statement.

Bizziken likes this

COVID has skewed everything and everyone.  Success alone May be measured by avoiding a COVID quarantine.  But it's likely to happen and happen to anyone.  Even during conference season.  Say you go to Olean and play.  Next day, someone tests positive.  Both teams have to shut down maybe.  For two weeks?  What happens to the games in those two weeks?  You likely can't reschedule them.  So it will be affecting the conference standings as well and potentially tournament seeding (if there is one) and then factoring into the selection process for March/May.  Unfortunately lots of landmines in this entire season.

16 hours ago, bauman said:

I'm not certain that we have a relevant OOC games left.  After watching MINN struggle to lead a not-very-good Loyola Marymount team by 4 pts, at half, on their home court, I think the Wiz's preseason rating of the Golden Gophers is more than a little generous.  The Top 144 boys might be closer to correct.  I think they had MINN between 100-144 as best I recall.  As I said a couple of days ago, this LSU game was critical to win if we wanted to garner some national respect (other than J Rothstein).   With that done, I think we will be needing some "name" teams to lose to get us into the top 20 and stay there as we run the A 10.  The only negative of the LSU win is that most media and AP voters will probably not be aware of the fact that the win came without a key all-conference player.  At this point I hope Has gives his concussion plenty of time to heal because he certainly will not be needed in the A-PB game.

edit:  Top 144 has MINN at 105 and Ind St  at 110

I had Minn  over LMU (C rated) by 16....Minn won by 15.....Right now , I am sticking with my preseason forecast of A-  for the Gophers  and one of  the best 2 teams we will play this season.  Ind ST who has yet to play a game remains at B-.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

COVID has skewed everything and everyone.  Success alone May be measured by avoiding a COVID quarantine.  But it's likely to happen and happen to anyone.  Even during conference season.  Say you go to Olean and play.  Next day, someone tests positive.  Both teams have to shut down maybe.  For two weeks?  What happens to the games in those two weeks?  You likely can't reschedule them.  So it will be affecting the conference standings as well and potentially tournament seeding (if there is one) and then factoring into the selection process for March/May.  Unfortunately lots of landmines in this entire season.

I have been talking about exactly these problems for a long time and all I got for it was an assortment of ignorant idiots calling me troll and the like. Yes, this is correct. Now about rescheduling, I am certain that ND got a couple of dozen calls from different teams trying to schedule a game, so, they just take voicemail while they choose and pick who they want to play. Those they do not want to play receive no response. The problem with this season is that you have to make the call regardless.

Richmond has just played one game, which they won a tiny bit below the spread, against Moorehead State which is ranked in the 300s. This did not lower they presumptive #3 ranking within A10. Dayton is still ranked #2 in A10 despite the fact that they have not played a single game so far. It is going to be a real problem to try to determine rankings and status during this particular season.

Hope we have a big enough wagon for everyone this year... national guys starting to chirp us. Announcer for rich UK game even said his pick was SLU this year for A10 and “saint louis looks serious..”. That being said, if Richmond wins this game, they will have their chests puffed too.