2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rothstein put out an article about 10 bold predictions for the season today and had the Bills winning the conference at number 10.

10. Saint Louis will win the Atlantic 10 regular season title

Richmond was voted first in the Atlantic 10’s preseason poll a few weeks ago, but it would be foolish to ignore what the Billikens return and what they’ve already proven. Travis Ford bring back everyone of significance from last season’s team that won 23 games, headlined by three all-conference players in Jordan Goodwin, Hasahn French, and Javonte Perkins. Saint Louis also won at Richmond last season and played the majority of last year without two starting caliber wings — Gibson Jimerson and Fred Thatch — who only played in a total of 16 games due to injuries. This team is loaded and has a legitimate chance to be the best non power conference team in college basketball.

https://collegehoopstoday.com/index.php/rothstein-files/10-bold-predictions-for-the-20-21-college-basketball-season/

Such a weird season and insecure schedule.  I'm always happy for Billiken hype from the press because it is normally non-existent.  This year that hype might just matter a lil more as schedules aren't set like normal so the hype may help in the head of committee members.

Still need to win and avoid bad losses like normal so that hasn't changed. 

BilliesBy40 likes this

On 11/21/2020 at 12:34 PM, Reinert310 said:

I’m down. I’m 30 something, 6’1, can run (not fast), can’t jump, can’t handle the ball, can’t play defense, not a great passer, but I can still shoot it. 

I've got Jim Crews on the line for you.  He's interested in whether or not you have any eligibility left.  Oh, wait, you said that you can shoot it.  Forget it, he'll have to get back to you.

8 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I've got Jim Crews on the line for you.  He's interested in whether or not you have any eligibility left.  Oh, wait, you said that you can shoot it.  Forget it, he'll have to get back to you.

😂😂😂😂 well I didn’t shoot very well at the gym this morning. So hopefully that helps my chances.

I’m watching the end of the EPIC NC State game on YouTube right now to get pumped for Wednesday. A few notes:

1-I’m pretty sure Rob Lowe’s shorts would’ve gone past my feet. 

2-For some reason, when I think of Jake Barnett, I always think of him with the buzzcut. I forgot what a fantastic flow he had at one time.

3-Jett in clutch time was just absolutely deadly. There was no stopping him. It was almost unfair.

2 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

I’m watching the end of the EPIC NC State game on YouTube right now to get pumped for Wednesday. A few notes:

1-I’m pretty sure Rob Lowe’s shorts would’ve gone past my feet. 

2-For some reason, when I think of Jake Barnett, I always think of him with the buzzcut. I forgot what a fantastic flow he had at one time.

3-Jett in clutch time was just absolutely deadly. There was no stopping him. It was almost unfair.

where'd you find the game on Youtube?

SLU ended the semester on campus Friday and students will take finals online in 2 weeks.  So basketball players if they take correct precautions should have limited contacts until JAN something. 

Therefore,  if we get through next week we should be OK on games if they act in a disciplined manner.  Of course this requires both teams in question to do so.

Fingers crossed,  I need this basketball season it is something to look forward to and a fun distraction. 

Just now, Slufan10 said:

where'd you find the game on Youtube?

Just search “Billikens basketball” should in the top-5 or so results. It’s an old enough game that I don’t think they care about copyright. Recording is a little rough at times, but it’s worth it if you’re craving some Blue Kool-Aid

1 minute ago, rgbilliken said:

Search Billiken Vault. I believe @billikenfan05 tries to avoid posting links so the copyright police don’t ask him to take the videos down. 

Billiken Vault is also awesome! Big thanks to 05 for that!

SLURadioBoy and cgeldmacher like this

VCU just landed a gig.  Nothing like figuring out what you are doing mid-week on Monday.  Wichita State was already in Sioux Falls, tested positive, and left town. In a 10-hour span, VCU flipped their MTE from Tennessee to South Dakota. Wow!

I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.

TheChosenOne and SLU_Lax like this

This would be big for just about everyone, but it would significantly improve the chances of teams completing a full season if they don't have to quarantine for 2 weeks for 1 single positive:

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may soon shorten the length of time it recommends that a person self-quarantine after potential exposure to the coronavirus, hoping that such a step will encourage more people to comply, a top agency official said.

CDC officials are finalizing recommendations for a new quarantine period that would likely be between seven and 10 days and include a test to ensure a person is negative for Covid-19, said Henry Walke, the agency’s incident manager for Covid-19 response.

Agency officials are discussing the exact time period and what type of test a person would be given to exit quarantine, he said.

“We do think that the work that we’ve done, and some of the studies we have and the modeling data that we have, shows that we can with testing shorten quarantines,” he said.

If a test comes back negative, he added, “then their probability of going on and developing an infection after that is pretty low.”

There is a risk that some infections would be missed, Dr. Walke said, but it may be worth the potential trade-off. “Hopefully, people would be better able to adhere to quarantine if it was, for example, seven to 10 days,” he said.

Health authorities have recommended a 14-day quarantine, along with other precautions like wearing masks and keeping a distance, to curb transmission of the virus. The quarantine length is based on the time researchers believe it takes for infection to lead to symptoms.

Yet some public-health experts say 14 days is too long in certain cases, citing evidence about how long someone is infectious combined with the latest strategies for testing for the virus. Moreover, they say, people are weary after months of restrictions.

A huge surge in new infections in the U.S.—fueled in part by that same pandemic fatigue—is sending thousands into lengthy quarantines and increasing the burden on public-health agencies to track these people, as well as on companies confronting large numbers of employees out due to 14-day quarantines.

The number of new infections in the U.S. topped 169,190 on Monday.

How a quarantine’s length affects peoples’ willingness to comply, however, hasn’t been well studied, the public-health experts say. In addition, getting a test to end a quarantine could be difficult for people in places where demand for tests is rising.

About 50% of people who become ill develop symptoms between five and six days after they are infected, while 9% develop symptoms after 10 days, and 2% after 14 days, said Justin Lessler, an epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, citing estimates he and other researchers have published.

“If we could get people to quarantine—and really quarantine, like you can’t go to the grocery store when you quarantine—then I think there’s an argument for shorter times,” he said.

Quarantine lengths can depend on the situation, Dr. Lessler said. A shorter period ending with a test might be justified before returning to an office with others who are healthy. Yet a full 14 days might be more prudent before visiting an elderly relative.

A 14-day quarantine period is warranted in countries that have few cases, he said, because one missed case could spark a new outbreak.

France, Germany and Belgium, experiencing their own surge of infections, have already cut the length of time people who are potentially exposed to Covid-19 need to self-quarantine. The World Health Organization currently recommends a 14-day quarantine, but expert groups that advise it are reviewing the data, a WHO spokeswoman said.

rgbilliken likes this

7 minutes ago, kshoe said:

This would be big for just about everyone, but it would significantly improve the chances of teams completing a full season if they don't have to quarantine for 2 weeks for 1 single positive:

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may soon shorten the length of time it recommends that a person self-quarantine after potential exposure to the coronavirus, hoping that such a step will encourage more people to comply, a top agency official said.

So, the 14 days were a little exaggerated to begin with?