2020-21 Season

8 minutes ago, Compton said:

I don't see Lorentsson or Russell getting a whole lot of time when clutch free throws matter. There's just a bit too much depth and seniority. Not saying they can't emerge next year or anytime thereafter as go tos.

In 2021-2023, teams who foul us at the end of games will be fighting a losing battle.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

14 day quarantines for entire programs just isn't practical.  Quarantining the positive person(s) and a week of testing for everybody else, sure.  But if a 14 day pause for everybody remains the norm, most teams will not finish their nonconference schedule by January.  Some teams won't even finish by Valentine's Day.

1 hour ago, MichaelC said:

Yeah, a 14 day in season quarantine won't work, I think teams are just being overly cautious now in order to get the season started as smoothly as possible. 

I believe, right now, the 14 days is from the NCAA as a guideline and the A10 has adopted it. I thought AD May said new NCAA guidelines were coming out on re-socialization, but I haven't seen any yet. 

You can't keep 10 to 15 basketball players separated by 6 feet when you are scrimmaging.  If one player gets it, you have to assume the worst.  

But yes, there should be some negative test procedure.  I'm not totally familiar with it, but in the NFL can't you come back with three negative tests after a close-contact? 

We do need one set of rules for all college basketball programs.  But can some of the low-mid conferences fund a robust testing program?  I hope Central Ark and UMKC are proficient in their testing protocols and don't bring the virus into Chaifetz.  I hope the MVC has a testing program that parallels ours and E'ville and IN St abide by it.

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I believe, right now, the 14 days is from the NCAA as a guideline and the A10 has adopted it. I thought AD May said new NCAA guidelines were coming out on re-socialization, but I haven't seen any yet. 

You can't keep 10 to 15 basketball players separated by 6 feet when you are scrimmaging.  If one player gets it, you have to assume the worst.  

But yes, there should be some negative test procedure.  I'm not totally familiar with it, but in the NFL can't you come back with three negative tests after a close-contact? 

Funny you mentioned the NFL, I just read that they're instituting a more "intensive" policy following a spate of positive tests (https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/sports/nfl-imposing-intensive-covid-19-protocol-all-teams) including a provision that all personnel entering an NFL facility must have a negative test result from the day before. To your point, I don't know how you can get through a basketball season without a mechanism that allows players to "test back in" so to speak after a positive test (you're going to have some false positives) or close contact. 

12 hours ago, SLUMedBilliken15 said:

UMKC game reported on 12/23

Source? I haven't seen anything yet.

By the way, I checked their site in case they had a non-conference schedule up and it's really interesting what the Summit is doing this season: https://kcroos.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

Every matchup is played back-to-back nights at one location, so no home-and-homes. Half of your opponents you play twice at home, half of them twice on the road.

(I had forgotten they moved to the Summit from the bizarre WAC. Also, they've rebranded as Kansas City, trying to lose the UMKC thing for their sports teams, at least.)

32 minutes ago, Pistol said:

By the way, I checked their site in case they had a non-conference schedule up and it's really interesting what the Summit is doing this season: https://kcroos.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule

Every matchup is played back-to-back nights at one location, so no home-and-homes. Half of your opponents you play twice at home, half of them twice on the road.

(I had forgotten they moved to the Summit from the bizarre WAC. Also, they've rebranded as Kansas City, trying to lose the UMKC thing for their sports teams, at least.)

would suck for us if we were to play @ richmond or @ dayton twice. 

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

It's not a great source but: https://www.barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Saint+Louis&year=2021

13 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

We do need one set of rules for all college basketball programs.  But can some of the low-mid conferences fund a robust testing program?  I hope Central Ark and UMKC are proficient in their testing protocols and don't bring the virus into Chaifetz.  I hope the MVC has a testing program that parallels ours and E'ville and IN St abide by it.

Somehow the Big 10 and Pac 12 have less stringent guidelines than the NCAA. Moving to something more akin to what the are using or what the NFL is doing (you can test out of it) would be more favorable to keeping teams available for the majority of the season.

Your concern about lower conference teams not being able to afford to test out is legit but that doesn't mean that larger schools that can afford that options shouldn't be given that choice. Allowing schools to test out makes sense and if a school chooses not to do so because of financial reasons than so be it.

With no additional changes looks like our full non con schedule is: 

November 25th - SIUE

November 28th - LSU

December 5th - Ark Pine Bluff

December 8th - Central Arkansas

December 12th - Evansville

December 15th - Indiana State

December 20th - at Minnesota 

December 23rd - UMKC

2 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

With no additional changes looks like our full non con schedule is: 

November 25th - SIUE

November 28th - LSU

December 5th - Ark Pine Bluff

December 8th - Central Arkansas

December 12th - Evansville

December 15th - Indiana State

December 20th - at Minnesota 

December 23rd - UMKC

I'll give u 5 to 1 there will be changes. 

almaman likes this

17 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

14 day quarantines for entire programs just isn't practical.  Quarantining the positive person(s) and a week of testing for everybody else, sure.  But if a 14 day pause for everybody remains the norm, most teams will not finish their nonconference schedule by January.  Some teams won't even finish by Valentine's Day.

Seems to me that this is not the same standard that is being used for college football.

53 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Seems to me that this is not the same standard that is being used for college football.

Pitt just announced that football players in the Pitt v Virginia Tech game tomorrow will be required to wear masks while playing on the field due to the Governor's mandate.  Rules differ by state, by league, and change daily.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/pitt-vs-virginia-tech-will-be-first-game-with-players-required-to-wear-face-coverings-in-the-field-of-play/

31 minutes ago, Compton said:

Missouri States' non-con is absolute trash. Western Illinois' seems to be almost non-existent. 

I wonder if we could sneak in another cupcake after Dec. 23rd. 

I’d rather just win every game we have now. I don’t think another cupcake actually helps much.