2020-21 Season

43 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

They lost a couple seniors averaging single digits, but they get Taylor Funk back after he missed all last year. They'll miss Lorenzo Edwards I think, but Funk more than replaces

idk why I was thinking St Joes was really young last season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

idk why I was thinking St Joes was really young last season

Reading the recent story in The Athletic about SJ says they are returning their top 5 scorers and adding in 2 high impact transfers. so it's hard to see that they will finish behind Fordham, in fact they might be a lot better than expected,.  Remember, it took a career night for Perkins last year to win one of our games by 5 against them.

17 minutes ago, bauman said:

Reading the recent story in The Athletic about SJ says they are returning their top 5 scorers and adding in 2 high impact transfers. so it's hard to see that they will finish behind Fordham, in fact they might be a lot better than expected,.  Remember, it took a career night for Perkins last year to win one of our games by 5 against them.

Ahhh that’s probably what i saw. Cheers. 

8 hours ago, Brighton said:

I’ve never been impressed by Chapley.

Well he has a day job and often gives us more info than our actual beat writer. I like the dude. He definitely gives us the best information available during a game via Twitter. I personally think if he stopped now we’d miss his reporting. 

1 hour ago, hmart23 said:

Well he has a day job and often gives us more info than our actual beat writer. I like the dude. He definitely gives us the best information available during a game via Twitter. I personally think if he stopped now we’d miss his reporting. 

I like him. But wish he’d stop w/ the teasers. We’re all on edge about this season and don’t need any more drama than necessary. C’mon, man, just tell us. 

Kenpoms ranking for A10 -  Harsh on Richmond, 

45 SLU

49 Dayton

62 Richmond

76 Bonnies

80 Davidson

84 Duquesne

97 VCU

98 RI

112 GMU

125 Umass

151 La Salle

160 SJU

166 Fordham

193 GW   ...(?)

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Kenpoms ranking for A10 -  Harsh on Richmond, 

45 SLU

49 Dayton

62 Richmond

76 Bonnies

80 Davidson

84 Duquesne

97 VCU

98 RI

112 GMU

125 Umass

151 La Salle

160 SJU

166 Fordham

193 GW   ...(?)

I guess it depends on how much Sherod meant to them. He very well may be a 30ish spot difference. IMO I think Dayton is way too high and Bonnies too low. 

10 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

I guess it depends on how much Sherod meant to them. He very well may be a 30ish spot difference. IMO I think Dayton is way too high and Bonnies too low. 

It's really hard to gauge how good Dayton will be.  Does the loss of an unguardable big mean that they drop 60 spots?  Or will they adjust and be a formidable team based on their perimeter firepower alone?  

St. Joe's gets two four-star transfers in Foster (Gonzaga) and Bishop (Xavier).  Both have been there all last year (Foster since June 2019 and Bishop since January 2020) and practicing with team.    They only lost Edwards but he is replaced by the returning Funk.  Foster becomes the lone true PG on the team and Bishop is a 2G so it allows Daly to move to SF.  Taylor joins Longpre in a rather weak front court but neither is a banger.  Both shoot the three more often than not.  It will likely depend on Billy Lange's offense but it looks like a five-out offense no matter how you cut it.  They are MUCH better than Fordham IMHO and can surprise.

As previously noted, Dayton has three good guards and the college game is a guard's game.  All are seniors.  Some have Crutcher as a POY candidate in the A10.  But they have an unproven bench now and are limited on the inside.  Of course, anything can happen.  They will likely win at home most nights but what will happen on the road against teams like Umass, Duquesne, theBonies, VCU and Davidson?

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

It's really hard to gauge how good Dayton will be.  Does the loss of an unguardable big mean that they drop 60 spots?  Or will they adjust and be a formidable team based on their perimeter firepower alone?  

I'm gonna go with the latter.

dlarry likes this

2 hours ago, SLU_Nick said:

I think they drop 60 spots.  Crutcher is going to find out the hard way that the game is not so easy when you dont have the opposing defense completely ignoring you so they double-team the lottery pick.  

dont be so sure about that.   i hate crutcher, but i respect his ability.   think back to his buzzer beater that beat us at chaifetz.   he was being defended very well and wasnt afraid and made the tough shot.   the kid is fearless with confidence and skill galore.   the total package.   i like to believe goodwin will be his equal this year (and you all know how much of a goodwin homer i am) but until he shows it in a game, goodwin isnt crutcher ........yet.

SLU_Nick likes this

27 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

dont be so sure about that.   i hate crutcher, but i respect his ability.   think back to his buzzer beater that beat us at chaifetz.   he was being defended very well and wasnt afraid and made the tough shot.   the kid is fearless with confidence and skill galore.   the total package.   i like to believe goodwin will be his equal this year (and you all know how much of a goodwin homer i am) but until he shows it in a game, goodwin isnt crutcher ........yet.

They fulfill two very different roles.  It's like trying to compare a quarterback to a running back.  The quarterback plays the most important position on the field.  If they're both playing at an elite level, the quarterback is more valuable.  

What remains to be seen is whether their version of Waldman/Claggett/Highmark is enough to carry the day.  I think it comes down to how much Chatman can step up.

@slu72 --- like my lawyer used to say "it depends."  Ratings like these and Top 144 are just conversation starters.  All of these teams can surprise because paper means nothing and you have to play the games.  As previously noted, Sgt. Joe's could surprise.  On paper, Daly got some help.  Geedubya lost their PG.  La Salle is always La Salle.  Mason is searching for a consistent PG; Miller, Greene and Wilson are decent.  Umass needs Fernandez to step up as their PG.  Rhodey got everyone eligible and if Carey is a decent PG, and the Mitchell twins do more than Jermaine Harris and if Harris finally gets it, they could be tough(er).  

I'm not ready to say Bacon-Medley's waiver at VCU makes them better.  Yeah, kid is a seven-footer but he played at Coppin and averaged 7. 5 ppg in 31 games.  Not bad.  The Bonnies and Duquesne are who they were last year only a year older.  Let's remember we held the Bonnies to 39 points last year.  Duquesne hits us with matchup problems as demonstrated in last year's two losses.

So all discussion is good as far as I'm concerned.

19 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

200-69 uploaded now. 

GWash : 185

LaSalle: 176

G Mason: 143

UMass: 133

Rhody: 116

VCU: 100

Bonnies: 85

Duquesne: 83

Also non-con opponent Indiana St is 130

Still to go: Dayton, SLU, Richmond, Davidson