2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I think a Missouri/Kansas one day extravaganza in KC would be fun with SLU, Mizzou, and Mo State on on side, and Kansas, Kansas State, and Wichita State on the other side.  No conference conflicts in that one.  It would make a great yearly road trip.

These mini tournaments would make to much sense and to much money for the schools to actually do.  I can’t for the life of me understand why they don’t.  Packed arenas restaurants and hotels must be a bad thing in their minds.  Things like this are what bring casual fans out of the woodwork.  Maybe Covid putting programs in a financial strain will get some of these things going.

2 minutes ago, Slowry said:

These mini tournaments would make to much sense and to much money for the schools to actually do.  I can’t for the life of me understand why they don’t.  Packed arenas restaurants and hotels must be a bad thing in their minds.  Things like this are what bring casual fans out of the woodwork.  Maybe Covid putting programs in a financial strain will get some of these things going.

Fear is a strong motivating factor against this. Taking an L against a lesser local program diminishes your brand and improves theirs.

54 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Fear is a strong motivating factor against this. Taking an L against a lesser local program diminishes your brand and improves theirs.

I agree that fear of losing to a local lesser opponent is an issue.  I think it is short sighted.  The new fans and excitement in the local market would be good far all of the participants long term. 

26 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Only news here are the likely game dates, of Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.  In a second tweet Kilcoyne listed LSU and Northern Iowa as two of the opponents, but we already knew that.

Biggest news story of the day! How soon do you guys think CNN, MSNBC and Fox News get a live panel together to discuss the Billikens opener this morning?

(Just an attempt at levity considering what today is. Not trying to get political. Hope everybody stays safe today).

3 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Which is a BS excuse/dodge. But you’re right. Heaven forbid should Mizzery or Illiness lose a recruit to SLU because SLU beat them. Ooooh the inhumanity of it all. 

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

Am I coming in late on something?  Id assume at the absolute worst all games would be on ESPN+

Would seem like a gimme for FSMW. 

2 hours ago, Aquinas said:

I agree that fear of losing to a local lesser opponent is an issue.  I think it is short sighted.  The new fans and excitement in the local market would be good far all of the participants long term. 

Yeah, it’s fraidy cat talk. Arkansas doesn’t seem to mind playing Arky state. KY against Louisville, Kentucky State, etc. Only one party involved has a stick up it’s ass.

18 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Yeah, it’s fraidy cat talk. Arkansas doesn’t seem to mind playing Arky state. KY against Louisville, Kentucky State, etc. Only one party involved has a stick up it’s ass.

some of the interstate games were mandated by the state legislatures concerned.  i believe iowa is one.   and originally kentucky and louisville might have been.   not 100% sure of that one. 

why are we still talking about gordon?   he tried to tear team blue apart.   there is no business in caring one iota about his success as a basketball player imo.   he was a wasted scholarship in hindsight.   i understand the leap at the chance, but it ended badly.  let it go folks.  

dennis_w and bauman like this

26 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Arkansas State is no threat to Arkansas and Louisville is one of the winningest programs of all time, not a mid-major program on the rise.  But when there is a threat from a mid-major, you see the fear dynamic playing out:  See KU's avoidance of Wichita State, Tennessee's avoidance of Belmont, etc.

38 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

some of the interstate games were mandated by the state legislatures concerned.  i believe iowa is one.   and originally kentucky and louisville might have been.   not 100% sure of that one. 

The legislature in Kentucky threatened to do something but the schools agreed to play and nothing was ever passed.