2020-21 Season

I thought the 3-bid league preview was very thorough (a million times better than generic previews like the top 144 list that gets discussed so much on this board), and I’m very appreciative of all the A-10 content they put out. Find me any other non-SLU outlet that is going to spend 20 minutes on our team and I’ll be very surprised. 

hmart23 and HoosierPal like this

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rothstein reporting that our game against Indiana State will be on December 15th. 

Big East released their December schedule and some teams such as Villanova already released their schedule up to the end of December, so we may be getting close to having one of our own.

AAC and Big East both had their preseason polls released this morning as well

HoosierPal likes this

Here's part of the problem, with the Orlando exodus, and with the season.  Reading between the lines, the Big East and Big 12 have lesser guidelines COVID in place.  We already know that the Big Ten, in football, has exceeded the NCAA guidelines, instituting a 21 day quarantine.  Come NCAA tourney time, if you aren't meeting the NCAA guidelines, will you still be allowed to play in the bracket?

Marquette, Fresno State and Cal are three more teams currently in time out.

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Here's part of the problem, with the Orlando exodus, and with the season.  Reading between the lines, the Big East and Big 12 have lesser guidelines COVID in place.  We already know that the Big Ten, in football, has exceeded the NCAA guidelines, instituting a 21 day quarantine.  Come NCAA tourney time, if you aren't meeting the NCAA guidelines, will you still be allowed to play in the bracket?

Marquette, Fresno State and Cal are three more teams currently in time out.

This is the reason why league only games are a possibility. 

HoosierPal likes this

As per the article from STLtoday in the board, French lost his grandmother to Covid and then had symptomatic Covid during March - April. The death of his grandmother followed by his own disease had a major impact on him. My delayed condolences to French for his loss.

On 10/26/2020 at 6:49 PM, hmart23 said:

They meant if they don't improve on anything they'll finish fourth. Which I almost agree with. We won't win the A10 if our offense isn't better. That's a fact.

Anyone who doesn't expect SLU's offense to be significantly better in 2020-21 than the previous year, with Yuri Collins as a sophomore and Jordan Goodwin looking to fulfill his legacy as a senior, is just a worry-wort.

billiken_roy likes this

20 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Anyone who doesn't expect SLU's offense to be significantly better in 2020-21 than the previous year, with Yuri Collins as a sophomore and Jordan Goodwin looking to fulfill his legacy as a senior, is just a worry-wort.

Not to mention, our best 3-point shooter being healthy. 

37 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I don’t think it’s what they expected. They just stated if we don’t improve offensively then that’s the floor. I doubt that will be the case, but crazier things have happened in NCAA basketball. 

6 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

I don’t think it’s what they expected. They just stated if we don’t improve offensively then that’s the floor. I doubt that will be the case, but crazier things have happened in NCAA basketball. 

You don't have to go any further than last season.  VCU went from first to eighth with everyone back and supposedly ten deep.  Marcus Evans was expected to compete for A-10 player of the year but could never get right physically.

On 10/28/2020 at 1:07 PM, HoosierPal said:

So we, in effect, get bumped out of our potential Gonzaga and Auburn games, and St. Joe takes our place. 

I don't get it.  Why were we not invited and/or why didn't we try to push to get into this tournament?  It would seem like those other teams would prefer the competition that SLU provides more so than St. Joe's.

Here’s some Billiken love in one of the Mizzou mailbags on The Athletic...

With there being so many scheduling and travel issues during the nonconference season, wouldn’t this be the perfect opportunity for Missouri and Saint Louis to renew their series? The two programs played from 1999 to 2001 where every game went down to the wire, but haven’t played since. — Andy T. 

I had a conversation with my editors recently about games we would schedule if given college basketball commissioner powers and schools were no longer in control of their schedules. This is one I’d make happen. As for reality, Missouri’s first priority is figuring out its MTE situation after the Orlando bubble fell through and then also making sure the rivalry game against Illinois happens. The Tigers already lost the KU game and don’t want to miss out on playing the Illini. 

You would think Cuonzo Martin and Travis Ford would be willing to have a dialogue about resuming the series because Martin coached Ford’s son Brooks the last two years. I can at least promise you, Andy, that if I ever land the commissioner gig, I’ll put this on my to-do list. Missouri would also return to the Big 12 when and if I’m granted this power — guaranteeing two Border War games every year — so depending on where you fall there, be careful what you wish for! 

HoosierPal likes this

12 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

Here’s some Billiken love in one of the Mizzou mailbags on The Athletic...

With there being so many scheduling and travel issues during the nonconference season, wouldn’t this be the perfect opportunity for Missouri and Saint Louis to renew their series? The two programs played from 1999 to 2001 where every game went down to the wire, but haven’t played since. — Andy T. 

I had a conversation with my editors recently about games we would schedule if given college basketball commissioner powers and schools were no longer in control of their schedules. This is one I’d make happen. As for reality, Missouri’s first priority is figuring out its MTE situation after the Orlando bubble fell through and then also making sure the rivalry game against Illinois happens. The Tigers already lost the KU game and don’t want to miss out on playing the Illini. 

You would think Cuonzo Martin and Travis Ford would be willing to have a dialogue about resuming the series because Martin coached Ford’s son Brooks the last two years. I can at least promise you, Andy, that if I ever land the commissioner gig, I’ll put this on my to-do list. Missouri would also return to the Big 12 when and if I’m granted this power — guaranteeing two Border War games every year — so depending on where you fall there, be careful what you wish for! 

One of them is willing to have dialogue

20 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

One of them is willing to have dialogue

SPUMAC can't afford losing to "little" SLU this year so they will continue to do their avoidance dance as they continue to lose out on making the big Dance.

i just dont understand playing down to mi$$ouri.    we have passed them by.  if we want a buy quality game we can always play semo or umsl without any guff from pr!ck fans.   

we should not waste games on the likes of the tiger$.   find bigger and better non conference games

56 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i just dont understand playing down to mi$$ouri.    we have passed them by.  if we want a buy quality game we can always play semo or umsl without any guff from pr!ck fans.   

we should not waste games on the likes of the tiger$.   find bigger and better non conference games

While I agree we should not be crawling and begging Mizzery for a game, you can’t deny this is a game many fans on both sides want to see happen. I think it’s despicable that Mizzery feels this game is beneath them, when everyone knows they are afraid of what a loss to SLU would do to their supposed status as the state’s premier only big time program. A lot of intra state rivalries that were avoided in the past have come to be annual games, it’s way past time for Mizzery to stuff their fears and make this an annual game. That said, we should not be begging them for the game. This year would be the perfect opportunity to restart the series, since the travel is by bus and the Covid risk reduced. 

Billiken Rich likes this

Last season Mizzou finished 10th in the SEC, with a NET of 84.  Early preseason polls have them 10th again.  If we play the 84th ranked NET team at home, that would fall likely into a Q3 game. Play it on the road, and it is a Q2 game.  I'd much rather play a Q2/3 game than a home Q4 game with UMKC or Evansville.  Any day, any time, any location;  I don't care what uniform the opponent is wearing.

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Last season Mizzou finished 10th in the SEC, with a NET of 84.  Early preseason polls have them 10th again.  If we play the 84th ranked NET team at home, that would fall likely into a Q3 game. Play it on the road, and it is a Q2 game.  I'd much rather play a Q2/3 game than a home Q4 game with UMKC or Evansville.  Any day, any time, any location;  I don't care what uniform the opponent is wearing.

Throw the numbers out the window Kevin Cash. If you have the chance to beat up on Mizzou you absolutely take it 

Box and Won likes this

7 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Cool, then advocate for a game with Depaul because the odds of that happening are much better.  They're looking for a non-conference game.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/21505871/2020-21-college-basketball-early-season-events-mte-thanksgiving-holiday-tournaments-covid-updates

Latest on MTE's.  Nebraska MTE is still holding at 11.

Elevate Hoops MTE

Wed., Nov. 25–Wed., Dec. 2: Lincoln, Neb. (Jon Rothstein; Jeff Borzello; Matt Norlander; Matt Norlander; Jon Rothstein)

Teams

Cleveland State Vikings (Horizon, Paradise Jam)

Colorado State Rams (MW, Paradise Jam)

Illinois State Redbirds (MVC, Cancun Challenge),

LSU Tigers (SEC, Gotham Classic)

Nebraska Cornhuskers (Big Ten, Myrtle Beach Invitational)

Nevada Wolf Pack (MW, Cayman Islands Classic)

Northern Iowa Panthers (MVC, Cayman Islands Classic)

Oklahoma State Cowboys (Big 12, Charleston Classic)

Saint Louis Billikens (A 10, Orlando Invitational)

San Francisco Dons (WCC, MGM Resorts Main Event)

Western Kentucky Hilltoppers (C-USA, Cayman Islands Classic)

11 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Cool, then advocate for a game with Depaul because the odds of that happening are much better.  They're looking for a non-conference game.

Good bring them on.  Dump Evansville or UMKC.  Let's play as solid an OOC as we can.