2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Reinert310 said:

Thanks for the offer insight! Out of curiosity, how does Markhi Strickland look? I know he’s a freak athlete who can jump through the roof, but how does his overall game look? He’s 1 of those guys that I think a lot of us forget about sometimes, where I don’t really know what to expect.

Markhi is definitely a high flier similar to TJ-in the open court dunks they are both worthy of highlight films. Markhi is more advanced than most frosh on the defensive end and he really hustles on all plays. He is a decent shooter and an aspiring 3 point shooter who appears to be a future scorer. In many past years he would have been a potential top 8 or 9 rotation guy but with our depth this year it will be a difficult task for him to break into the top 10 but it is possible. Everyone sees him as a significant contributor and potential star in the future after the big three graduate.

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I have no idea how good OSU will be, either at the start or the end of the year.  I looked at one benchmark, Top 144, and they are placed at #32, three places behind of the Bills.  Their write-up pretty much says Cade Cunningham will have to carry this team.  I don't know, but #32 coming out of the box is okay for me. 

Boy is my face red! Yeah I agree with you....#32 is definitely okay. Top 144  was my lone benchmark as well and completely missed their #32 ranking (I blame it on my shoddy internet service which made scrolling through the list a chore :)) I assumed they weren’t in top 144 which seemed impossible. Thanks for setting me straight. 

I’d like to revise my previous comment: LSU, OSU, and Northern Iowa would be ideal but probably a long shot. 2 of those 3 and Western Kentucky would be decent as well.   

went back through Top 144 to check out rankings (in parenthesis):

MSU (Top 21) —> LSU (Top 21)

Memphis (33) —> OSU (32)

SDSU (47) —> Northern Iowa (50)

Other Lincoln MTE teams:

Western KY (68), Nevada (96), San Francisco (115), Nebraska (134)

Scheduled non-conference opponents:

Minnesota (105), Indiana State (110)

I’m sure I missed a few other teams of interest (don’t think SIU was on there?) but we have still have an opportunity to come away with a decent non-conference schedule given the circumstances.

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Anybody think there may be times where Lorentsson slides into the rotation over Linssen based on matchups?  I can think of some games on our conference schedule where a 6'8 sniper with good court vision would be more desirable than a 6'8 back to the basket player.

Wish we could "pack the court" with this team :)

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Boy is my face red! Yeah I agree with you....#32 is definitely okay. Top 144  was my lone benchmark as well and completely missed their #32 ranking (I blame it on my shoddy internet service which made scrolling through the list a chore :)) I assumed they weren’t in top 144 which seemed impossible. Thanks for setting me straight. 

I’d like to revise my previous comment: LSU, OSU, and Northern Iowa would be ideal but probably a long shot. 2 of those 3 and Western Kentucky would be decent as well.   

went back through Top 144 to check out rankings (in parenthesis):

MSU (Top 21) —> LSU (Top 21)

Memphis (33) —> OSU (32)

SDSU (47) —> Northern Iowa (50)

Other Lincoln MTE teams:

Western KY (68), Nevada (96), San Francisco (115), Nebraska (134)

Scheduled non-conference opponents:

Minnesota (105), Indiana State (110)

I’m sure I missed a few other teams of interest (don’t think SIU was on there?) but we have still have an opportunity to come away with a decent non-conference schedule given the circumstances.

Boston College is visiting the Jewel of Midtown, but they are predicted to be fighting Wake Forest for ACC doormat.  Wouldn't that be something if an ACC team was our worst ranked team in OOC.

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Anybody think there may be times where Lorentsson slides into the rotation over Linssen based on matchups?  I can think of some games on our conference schedule where a 6'8 sniper with good court vision would be more desirable than a 6'8 back to the basket player.

I was thinking we might be surprised at how much he plays. It'll probably depend on how well he can defend and honestly he might initially be a better interior than perimeter defender. At the very least I'd bet his play will push those in front of him to stay atop their game. 

HoosierPal likes this

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

And it starts.  If two positives mean two weeks off, this ain't gonna work very well.

Yes agree completely. If this is the case, then the season will not only depend on what opponents we manage to play against, but upon the luck of the draw as to who turns positive and who gets quarantined. I really do not know any way to analyze this kind of issue in terms of probability. Perhaps someone knows?

12 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Boston College is visiting the Jewel of Midtown, but they are predicted to be fighting Wake Forest for ACC doormat.  Wouldn't that be something if an ACC team was our worst ranked team in OOC.

BC is always ranked low. They will be better than last year. The key to their team is Wynston Tabbs, who looked like a potential all-ACC player his freshman year in 18-19. He got injured that year, and they had no depth to compensate. He missed all of last year but is practicing now. Their coach is on the hot seat so he brought in three 5th year guys + a top 100 recruit. Some fans think it's an NIT team with NCAA potential. They'll win between 7 and 11 ACC games.  

9 hours ago, Old guy said:

Yes agree completely. If this is the case, then the season will not only depend on what opponents we manage to play against, but upon the luck of the draw as to who turns positive and who gets quarantined. I really do not know any way to analyze this kind of issue in terms of probability. Perhaps someone knows?

Yeah and here is another one.  I hope the NCAA has a plan for getting teams cleared sooner than two weeks.  I thought the new rapid test was available and would be used to clear all non-positive players promptly. 

It is inevitable that basketball games will be postponed or canceled.  34 NCAA football games have been postponed or canceled to date, and not all of the 130 D1 football teams have started play as of last weekend. 

So you put together your schedule, you get on your testing program and take it one event at a time.  In football there is some room for rescheduling games.  Not sure that same availability will be there for hoops.  There are more games and fewer open windows for rescheduling.

This will be one wild ride!

1 hour ago, Crewsorlose said:

BC is always ranked low. They will be better than last year. The key to their team is Wynston Tabbs, who looked like a potential all-ACC player his freshman year in 18-19. He got injured that year, and they had no depth to compensate. He missed all of last year but is practicing now. Their coach is on the hot seat so he brought in three 5th year guys + a top 100 recruit. Some fans think it's an NIT team with NCAA potential. They'll win between 7 and 11 ACC games.  

I hope you are right on BC.  Last season they finished with a NET of 157.  Our win at BC was only a Quad 3 W.  If they slip much, it might be a Q4 game at Chaifetz. They would have to improve a lot for the game to qualify as a Q2 (NET 31-75) game here.

I want to know if these positive tests are popping because players are ill or if they are randomly testing healthy players and relying on the accuracy of the PCR tests.  Seems like College Football teams are handling things in drastically different ways.  SEC players seemingly do not get Covid and VA tech makes players sit out if they were in the same room of someone with a suspected case.  

23 hours ago, Taj79 said:

It's probably just me but some of those campus events are pure hogwash, with no real competition for the P6 team hosting it.  Looks like a thinly-veiled attempt to just get games in.  Cases in point:

Kentucky hosting Detroit, Morehead State and Richmond (now minus Sherrod)

Illinois hosting NC A&T, Ohio and Wright State.

Iowa hosting Southern and NC Central.

K State hosting SD State, Colorado (exception) and Drake.

Ole Miss hosting Arkansas State, Central Arkansas and Jackson State.

Washington hosting Portland State and Cal State - Fullerton.

Xavier hosting Bradley, Toldeo and Oakland.

Rutgers hosting Fairleigh Dickinson and Rider.

And my personal favorite.....

Duke hosting Elon, Howard and Bellarmine.

Howard will end up being the best team that isn't Duke at the Duke MTE.  They have a totally rebuilt roster and one of the top recruits in the country coming in.  So of course, Duke isn't scheduled to play them in the round robin event.

3star_recruit likes this

21 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I have no idea what P6 teams are still looking.  My assumption is that P6's already have a landing spot, or they have elected to not go to a MTE.  Butler is in that category.  So you are looking at Mid to Low Mids to fill out the Nebraska field, if in fact they can get 16.  You left off Oklahoma State, which will have perhaps the freshman of the year, and who knows, the player of the year in Cade Cunningham.

While criticizing some of the MTE fields, keep in mind that for some of the invited schools, this will help salvage their athletic department.  The low mids aren't paying an entry fee and some will be taking home a buy game check from the MTE.  At KY, Calipari has stated that he wants to help the Detroit program survive. (His son plays there.)  The Coach K Invite is centered around social justice and racial equality. 

And they aren't playing Howard.  Good job Coach K.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Howard would be top 4 in the A10 this year.  A 5 star big man and former Boilermaker Nojel Eastern running point forward?  That's a heck of a one-two punch.

They, also, got a stretch 4 recruit in 6'9 Jordan Wood coming in who might turn out to be one of the most underrated recruits in the 2020 class.  Wood needs to bulk up to survive playing major minutes, but the kid can shoot. His recruitment is a pretty interesting story.  White kid who passed on offers from Pitino and the Ivies for Howard.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Yeah and here is another one.  I hope the NCAA has a plan for getting teams cleared sooner than two weeks.  I thought the new rapid test was available and would be used to clear all non-positive players promptly. 

It is inevitable that basketball games will be postponed or canceled.  34 NCAA football games have been postponed or canceled to date, and not all of the 130 D1 football teams have started play as of last weekend. 

So you put together your schedule, you get on your testing program and take it one event at a time.  In football there is some room for rescheduling games.  Not sure that same availability will be there for hoops.  There are more games and fewer open windows for rescheduling.

-I see bball having an easier time rescheduling as football players need at least a few days between games and the traveling party is 5-6 times as large as one in basketball, but those thoughts are in a normal time which this is not

35 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Howard would be top 4 in the A10 this year.  A 5 star big man and former Boilermaker Nojel Eastern running point forward?  That's a heck of a one-two punch.

Would they be good? Sure. Top 4 is a stretch. Top half of the league I’d probably agree with. 
They aren’t better than us, Richmond, Bonnies, Dayton, and honestly probably Dookies

9 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Would they be good? Sure. Top 4 is a stretch. Top half of the league I’d probably agree with. 
They aren’t better than us, Richmond, Bonnies, Dayton, and honestly probably Dookies

We've already seen what an unguardable 6'9 forward can do for a team that has a playmaker couple of shooters - undefeated in the A10. Well, Howard has an unguardable 7 footer who is actually more skilled, an oversized playmaker and a couple of shooters.  They would give the Bonnies matchup nightmares at multiple positions. The only reason I wouldn't rank them higher than 4th is because of lack of experience.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I wonder if schools are now required to report these events now that basketball is "in season".  Because I know there was a BIG10 basketball team that got shut down for a few weeks late summer/early fall because of a small outbreak and they didn't make any statement on that or any of their other sports teams at that university who have had positive cases and had to shut down for periods of time.

The rapid tests get you results back quickly but I believe the problem is that it could take multiple days for a test to give a positive result after an exposure. Hypothetically you could test negative 1 day after but finally test positive 3-7 days later.

HoosierPal likes this