2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Someone said it’s Okoro. I thought his injury was a shoulder thing? Guy does look a little on the lean side to be Jimmy. 

that looks like okoro, but didnt he had shoulder surgery recently?

Don’t know if this was posted already, but good to hear thatch is doing well.  And good to hear he still has that explosion (44” vert)

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/after-medical-woes-last-year-slus-thatch-ready-to-contribute-on-court-and-on-campus/article_65bd0149-3bbe-5c41-8844-8f2208333436.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

16 hours ago, Littlebill said:

How in the world does someone get those two guys confused?

It’s pretty sad. They look nothing alike. They’re tall black men, but look very different otherwise.  It’s probably a lot of the same posters who hate on Guy Phillips for his “corrections.”  Wonder if they mixed up Brian Conklin and Cody Ellis. 

Regarding those Instagram stories from Lorentsson and Hargrove: Hargrove has been posting his stats quite frequently. Usually getting up a few hundred shots and in the 45% to low 50% range from 3. Probably doesn't translate to a big boost in his game % yet but getting better, getting reps.

Lorentsson would be a "green light" shooter for any coach if he's making 70% of his open 3-point attempts (I'm assuming that's perimeter work because I don't think he'd share average FT shooting). He got here late and there's going to be a big adjustment period in terms of learning sets and getting used to the speed and physicality of this level. When he's ready to contribute, though, his shooting will be nice to have.

I'm going to take a 'wait-n-see' attitude with Lorentsson.  I'd love for the guy to be the next Dirk Nowitzki, Goran Dragic, Marco Bellinelli Euro-shooter but I heard that Tanner Lancona, KC Hankton, Dion Wiley, Eliott Welmer, Drew Deiner, Ingvi Gudmundsson and a slew of others could shoot too.  I'm trusting this one more than those others because it's Ford and his recruitment of Jimmmerson has broken the old mold.  

But history is not his side.  Prove me wrong, Andre.

SLU_Nick likes this

55 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Regarding those Instagram stories from Lorentsson and Hargrove: Hargrove has been posting his stats quite frequently. Usually getting up a few hundred shots and in the 45% to low 50% range from 3. Probably doesn't translate to a big boost in his game % yet but getting better, getting reps.

Lorentsson would be a "green light" shooter for any coach if he's making 70% of his open 3-point attempts (I'm assuming that's perimeter work because I don't think he'd share average FT shooting). He got here late and there's going to be a big adjustment period in terms of learning sets and getting used to the speed and physicality of this level. When he's ready to contribute, though, his shooting will be nice to have.

Hey @Pistol, just out of curiosity, how far behind should we assume Lorentsson is? Obviously, we have a lot of guys coming back from last year who are going to get a lot of minutes. Obviously he really needs to hit the weight room and work on conditioning. But in terms of learning sets and the defenses and stuff, will he really be that far behind just missing the mini workouts they had with a few guys in the gym, since he obviously was here for the start of team workouts this past weekend. I’m really curious how much work guys were able to get done in those 4-5 man workouts, and what all they actually worked on. I’m asking because I don’t know and was wondering if any of you’d had insights.

40 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I'm going to take a 'wait-n-see' attitude with Lorentsson.  I'd love for the guy to be the next Dirk Nowitzki, Goran Dragic, Marco Bellinelli Euro-shooter but I heard that Tanner Lancona, KC Hankton, Dion Wiley, Eliott Welmer, Drew Deiner, Ingvi Gudmundsson and a slew of others could shoot too.  I'm trusting this one more than those others because it's Ford and his recruitment of Jimmmerson has broken the old mold.  

I have had a chance to see Lorentsson play and he is head and shoulders better than the players you mention. He is a lights out shooter on the level of Gibson and he is a legit 6’8”. He has a good basketball IQ and fundamentals and he is not thin but he clearly has room to bulk up. We are a very deep team but he will challenge for minutes with the second five.

1 minute ago, Billikenswin said:

I have had a chance to see Lorentsson play and he is head and shoulders better than the players you mention. He is a lights out shooter on the level of Gibson and he is a legit 6’8”. He has a good basketball IQ and fundamentals and he is not thin but he clearly has room to bulk up. We are a very deep team but he will challenge for minutes with the second five.

He also is a pretty good passer.  A pretty rare skill for a 6'8 shooter to have.  Minutes will be hard to come by for any of the freshmen this year but going forward Lorentsson will cause some matchup problems.

20 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

He also is a pretty good passer.  A pretty rare skill for a 6'8 shooter to have.  Minutes will be hard to come by for any of the freshmen this year but going forward Lorentsson will cause some matchup problems.

3 star, thanks for the input.  You always seem to have a good handle on players.  Based on what you say about Andre, I can see him picking up some of the scoring that will be lost when JP leaves.  Clearly he will not be the athletic drive to the hoops player that JP is, but he projects to be a better 3 pt shooter than Javon and an even better FT shooter.  Ford S's trip to Europe looks like it might pay some big future dividends.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I think it’s a new day in Billiken Nation, Taj Mahal ‘79. We may be approaching a time where it ain’t “hard being a Billiken fan”.  

8 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Why post a snarky statement like that? I'm genuinely curious.

Because I fear this season may be a horror show in terms of testing and scheduling games. In other words, we have a top winning team, but they can win and make it count only if they play the correct opponents. I trust Ford, but I think this season may be really difficult to schedule and play out.