2020-21 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

The new Duquesne arena will still make it the fourth smallest in the A10 behind Fordham, La Salle and St.Joe's and less than 1,000 behind Davidson. Duquesne hasn't been to the NCAAs since 1954.  The NIT in 2009.  Most recent was the CBI in 2016.  Pitt is top dog in town. 

Dambrot has raised them some but he loses Weathers, Hughes and Dunn-Martin after this year.  Does Carry stick around with no supporting cast?  Maceo Austin has shown flashes but the rest of the roster is nothing to get excited about.  I'd say this is a make-or-break year for the Dukes and Dambrot.

Dambrot knows what he's losing and has planned accordingly.  He's been pulling in under the radar three-star recruits for 15 years now.  The Dukes will be competitive as long he's there.

https://goduquesne.com/news/2020/4/20/mens-basketball-dukes-add-four-to-2020-21-recruiting-class.aspx

AGB91 likes this

If you say so ...... the only three-stars on Duquesne's current and projected roster are Maceo Austin and Austin Rotroff. Now,this is per the Verbal Commits site so my research isn't in-depth or all-encompassing but that's what I've seen.  Of course, Sincere Carry is listed as a tw-star recruit so not everything VC is etched in stone.

Austin I liked since I first saw him as a freshman.  Rotroff seems a stiff ala Bates Jones at Davidson.  But he has time.  All the rest are listed as two-stars ..... as Aaron Hines, Brandon Courtney and Josh Hightower are.  Of course, VC has Javonte Perkins asa two-star so I recognize it is what it is.

The link you cite is a Duquesne press release.  Which reminds me of similar items for Zeke Moore, Dustin Maguire, Brett Jolley and so on.  All I'm saying is time will tell.  Appreciate the insight.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

How is ESPN going to respond to teams like Xavier breaking their contracts with ESPN?  This is hurting their programing at a time when they are desperate for programing.

I was thinking about the programming question related to college basketball this morning.

Right now there is a glut of sports programming on as in the past couple weeks you could watch NHL and NBA playoffs, NFL, college football and wall to wall baseball playoffs. Ratings are down which can be attributed to some combination of 1) too much product 2) lack of atmosphere without fans 3) the politicizing of sports when the general public wants relief from all that and 4) changing consumer habits in general.

Whatever you believe the driving factors are, consider the environment when Thanksgiving eve finally gets here through the New Year. People have to come inside and can't go to restaurants, etc. Depending on when the NBA returns this could stretch into January (NHL is coming back 1/1/21) No MLB. No NHL. No NBA. There will be major football on Thursdays, Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays. 

But there will be no other sports to watch on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and most Fridays. This is a golden opportunity for college basketball to seize the moment and provide compelling tv and get the casual fans interested in the sport for more than just a couple weeks in March.  

HoosierPal and brianstl like this

1 hour ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Yeah, I'd imagine there is some sort of force majeure clause in their contract they are using to get out of it.

Yes, and no at the same time. It is up to  ESPN to decide if they are going to do anything harsh to Xavier, or if they are just going to  give them a limp smack in the wrist. It all depends on how much money they estimate they will make by having Xavier playing as part of their programming, and this extends to the future. They will neither forgive nor forget Xavier, but they may choose to demonstrate their displeasure in future contracts for coverage of Xavier, or by not covering them frequently or as frequently in the future.

4 hours ago, brianstl said:

How is ESPN going to respond to teams like Xavier breaking their contracts with ESPN?  This is hurting their programing at a time when they are desperate for programing.

Does anybody know how these contracts work? Does Xavier actually have a contract with ESPN, or does the MTE organizer have a contract with both ESPN and Xavier. Do schools get paid for the tv rights in these tournaments? Genuinely curious.

1 minute ago, NH said:

Does anybody know how these contracts work? Does Xavier actually have a contract with ESPN, or does the MTE organizer have a contract with both ESPN and Xavier. Do schools get paid for the tv rights in these tournaments? Genuinely curious.

Disney owns this event.  

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

I was thinking about the programming question related to college basketball this morning.

Right now there is a glut of sports programming on as in the past couple weeks you could watch NHL and NBA playoffs, NFL, college football and wall to wall baseball playoffs. Ratings are down which can be attributed to some combination of 1) too much product 2) lack of atmosphere without fans 3) the politicizing of sports when the general public wants relief from all that and 4) changing consumer habits in general.

Whatever you believe the driving factors are, consider the environment when Thanksgiving eve finally gets here through the New Year. People have to come inside and can't go to restaurants, etc. Depending on when the NBA returns this could stretch into January (NHL is coming back 1/1/21) No MLB. No NHL. No NBA. There will be major football on Thursdays, Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays. 

But there will be no other sports to watch on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and most Fridays. This is a golden opportunity for college basketball to seize the moment and provide compelling tv and get the casual fans interested in the sport for more than just a couple weeks in March.  

Especially in St. Louis. The Bills will have November and December all to themselves for the first time since about 1955.

7 minutes ago, NH said:

Do you know whether schools like SLU get paid to play in these events?

It depends on the tournament.  Some of these MTE's the higher profile programs actually pay and you get the equivalent of the buy games out of them with the home games you get.   The high profile MTE's actually have money paid out to the teams in addition to expenses.  Battle4Atlantis pays the most at $2 million per team.  The Orlando Invitational would be one that pays programs, but not sure how much.

3 hours ago, kshoe said:

-college hoops or cornhole championships? not a difficult choice 

Wow.  This is depressing.  Ten teams have dropped out of the various Orlando Hoops MTE's.  (I'm not sure why he combined these four MTE's into a single entity.)  No way those 10 will be replaced.  They will combine the holdovers into a different set of brackets.  I wonder who we will end up playing.

https://watchstadium.com/college-basketballs-2020-21-events-schedule-10-07-2020/

22 new MTE's are on this list.

Maybe we should stage an MTE at the Fetz. Anyone know how that works? We pay them to come, or they pay to enter? Orlando should start thinking about combining all the teams still in into a big round robin deal. Let everyone get like 5 games. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Maybe we should stage an MTE at the Fetz. Anyone know how that works? We pay them to come, or they pay to enter? Orlando should start thinking about combining all the teams still in into a big round robin deal. Let everyone get like 5 games. 

Disney will do whatever it needs to do to make money out of this event, even with a reduced school roster.

Staging an  MTE at the Chaifetz does not work. Among other items Disney has, at Disney World a score of empty or semi empty hotels which they will gladly fill with players and TV people. By the way Disney announced they are eliminating 28,000 jobs from their hospitality areas. I think they want to keep Disney World open regardless. We have no hotels, all we have is the Chaifetz.

Disney has all kinds of facilities for movie production and TV broadcasting, we do not. As a final point Disney has orders of magnitude more cash available than SLU will ever have, and can afford to use the cash to stage this kind of event.

Nope, we cannot do it here, SLU cannot take the financial hit that it would need to take to get something like this going here.

did you notice in the X MTE the cupcakes they have lined up to play instead of the NCAA quality teams they would have faced in Orlando.  The Selection Committee needs to be aware of that when picking at-large NCAA teams.

Also, look at the Duke MTE.  Can you say JOKE?

4 hours ago, slu72 said:

I would like to see this.  Maybe they would have the foresight to schedule us against Mizzou.