• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Basketball oversight committees maintain maximum contest limitations

Current legislation passed in September remains unchanged

October 5, 2020 6:15pmGreg Johnson

The Division I Men’s and Women’s Basketball Oversight Committees on Monday reaffirmed their positions on reducing by four the maximum number of games that teams can play in the upcoming 2020-21 season.

In men’s basketball, teams can compete in a maximum of 25 regular-season games if a team does not participate in a multiple-team event; 25 regular-season games and one multiple-team event that includes up to two games; or 24 regular-season games and one multiple-team event that includes up to three games.

In women’s basketball, teams can compete in a maximum of 25 regular-season games if a team does not compete in a multiple-team event or 23 regular-season games and one multiple-team event that includes up to four games.

The committees, which met virtually, thoroughly discussed whether a blanket waiver should be applied to permit a school to participate in a maximum of 27 games with no multiple-team events, if certain conditions were met.

Committee members are aware of the scheduling difficulties teams are experiencing due to the uncertainty wrought by the COVID-19 pandemic.

“The Division I Council supported the oversight committee’s maximum contest limitations proposal in September,” NCAA Senior Vice President for Basketball Dan Gavitt said. “The oversight committee members believe amending the legislation now could further delay the scheduling process and possibly create unintended consequences.”

While the waiver process exists for schools to request relief from maximum contest limitations, the Division I Men’s Basketball Oversight Committee and Division I Women’s Basketball Oversight Committee have indicated they are unlikely to support such waivers.

-this is a guess, all P5/6 teams are in a MTE, so this is another way for the NCAA to screw the little guy, so Mich St is in a MTE and will play 26 or 27 games but heaven forbid a Big South or the like team not in a MTE will play only 25, I get it is only one or two games, but a senior at Stetson should have the opportunity to play games like a kid at KU

Reinert310 likes this

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-this is a guess, all P5/6 teams are in a MTE, so this is another way for the NCAA to screw the little guy, so Mich St is in a MTE and will play 26 or 27 games but heaven forbid a Big South or the like team not in a MTE will play only 25, I get it is only one or two games, but a senior at Stetson should have the opportunity to play games like a kid at KU

Why couldn't Stetson (just using your example) get Florida Gulf Coast, Jacksonville, and North Florida together for a MTE? Am I missing something? Not sure why this is a P5 v. Low Major thing

12 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Why couldn't Stetson (just using your example) get Florida Gulf Coast, Jacksonville, and North Florida together for a MTE? Am I missing something? Not sure why this is a P5 v. Low Major thing

-you are right, they could, and this would not be the traditional MTE, but some traditions are not currently available

-my understanding of the traditional MTE is that it includes tv exposure but in order to play games, those teams not in MTE's should do just what propose

2 hours ago, Cowboy said:

The trend this week is for a whole bunch of P5's dumping out of previously scheduled MTE's and setting up individual, campus site events.  Here are three in process today. The small guys are needed to fill out the events.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1313503250927292417?s=20

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The trend this week is for a whole bunch of P5's dumping out of previously scheduled MTE's and setting up individual, campus site events.  Here are three in process today. The small guys are needed to fill out the events.

That seems like a way for the Bigs to get more guarantee-type games.

59 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

probably because the likes of Stetson, florida gulf coast, jacksonville and north florida are too dependent on non conference buy games to fiscally support their athletic department whereas a low major tourney would cost them money.  they dont want to give up a single revenue positive game.   

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

That seems like a way for the Bigs to get more guarantee-type games.

Yes it does plus it also gets some badly needed $ for some low majors. Just saw another two, one at Kentucky with Detroit, Hartford and Richmond. Cal’s son goes to Detroit. 

The second one is at Duke, with Howard, Elon and Bellarmine.  (Duke isn't playing Howard with it's 5 star recruit Makur Maker.)

Maybe just cancel 20-21 give everyone extra year of eligibility then start off where last season screeched to a halt next March. Finish league tournaments seed the dance and do the tournament. Then start fresh next November. We’d rescue last season & get out of COVID related b s for this season. Sure many reasons this won’t happen but a thought🤓

TaLBErt likes this

I feel like just about every Big East team has pulled out of the tournaments that require them going somewhere. Could just be my perception. Either way, I’m not surprised to see Xavier leave. Hopefully the bleeding stops there.

The one key item not factored to this point is greed.  The eye on the prize is the billions of dollars at the end of the March Madness rainbow and the P6 schools don't want their junior brethren sharing in that pot.  All the more reason you have to come to them for a chance to sustain your program. But they don't care.  Never have, never will.

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

It looks like Xavier is now hosting a four team MTE with Toledo, Bradley and Oakland rather than going to Orlando.  (They could have invited N. Kentucky, Dayton and Wright State and kept all teams in close driving range, but no.)

Gonzaga is playing Baylor in Indy on Dec 5, not in Orlando in an overrun game as first thought.

It's going on the same site as the Palumbo Center, which seats about 4,400. The new configuration will give it about the same number of seats. I don't think Duquesne needs to build a bigger arena. I'd rather see them fill this one.

9 minutes ago, Pistol said:

It's going on the same site as the Palumbo Center, which seats about 4,400. The new configuration will give it about the same number of seats. I don't think Duquesne needs to build a bigger arena. I'd rather see them fill this one.

Agreed.  Gonzaga only has 6000 seats and that's the program that all mid majors aspire to.  Size of the arena is not the issue with Duquesne, fielding good teams is.  Dambrot has them on the right track.

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Agreed.  Gonzaga only has 6000 seats and that's the program that all mid majors aspire to.  Size of the arena is not the issue with Duquesne, fielding good teams is.  Dambrot has them on the right track.

To add to that, Gonzaga rose to prominence playing in a 4,000 seat arena.  They had already made the Elite Eight and three total Sweeet Sixteens before construction started on the building they currently play in.

19 minutes ago, brianstl said:

How is ESPN going to respond to teams like Xavier breaking their contracts with ESPN?  This is hurting their programing at a time when they are desperate for programing.

I have the same thought.  But it just not Orlando where this is happening.  St. John's long ago bailed out of Orlando.  Arkansas and Louisville just dumped out of their MTE in Vegas.  I hope the organizers have a long term memory when filling next season's fields occur.

I imagine ESPN is scrambling in an attempt to save their 8 tourney bubble.  If Goodman's rumor is correct, they are looking at completely shuffling the deck.  That could put the Bills in a not so desirable situation.  About the only thing I am certain of is that Ford's staff is on the phones 24/7 trying to salvage an OOC.

The new Duquesne arena will still make it the fourth smallest in the A10 behind Fordham, La Salle and St.Joe's and less than 1,000 behind Davidson. Duquesne hasn't been to the NCAAs since 1954.  The NIT in 2009.  Most recent was the CBI in 2016.  Pitt is top dog in town. 

Dambrot has raised them some but he loses Weathers, Hughes and Dunn-Martin after this year.  Does Carry stick around with no supporting cast?  Maceo Austin has shown flashes but the rest of the roster is nothing to get excited about.  I'd say this is a make-or-break year for the Dukes and Dambrot.